• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good tailor in Vancouver?

Siwash

Reaction score
Originally Posted by combo3010
anybody know who is the best LEATHER tailor in vancouver? i need shoulder n chest alteration on a LEATHER DOWN jacket.... so i guess only the most experienced would be up for the task... any suggestions would be appreciated! my first post here! woot
You could try ACE Cleaners over at Commercial and Venables, they are the best leather cleaners in town and if they don't do the work they will know where to send you.. welcome to the board!

ijung

Reaction score
I just realized that I ripped a hole in my RL jeans that I just purchased maybe only months ago. Anyone know a place that does denim? Or will all tailors be able to patch up denim holes?
Thanks for any advice!

contaygious

Reaction score
For patching up Denim try Joy at Oakridge Custom Tailors. That's where I take everything to be fixed/atered.

After my MTM nightmare at Harry's Zegna store I'm going to check out Samson finally since I live right down the street. I need a ton of shirts and at least a few jackets.

I ordered my zegna jacket from the Harry store back on September 20th and they shortened the sleeves instead of lengthening them. Now it's December 14th and my Jacket is still in Italy being worked on. My Thanksgiving jacket won't even be ready for Christmas. Has anyone actually ever received their MTM item in the 4-5 weeks promised by Harry?

Siwash

Reaction score
Honestly I never buy anything at Harry's anymore.

I do stroll through to see things in person, but with the internet I can always find better prices for the same things. I don't waste the SA's time trying on items I wont purchase. I have worked retail so I am sympathetic,even though they can follow you around like a lost puppy sometimes!

I like the staff and discount's at Holt's much better.I'm holding out for the 70% off after Christmas sale. Last year it came in February I'm hoping for January this year.

I have had good luck with Angelo Papa on the drive, for shirts and tweed sportcoats MTM. He has made me 2 Sportcoats from Zegna fabric that were significantly less than OTR at Harry's.

The 2 suits I have from him are nice, but in hindsight the cut may be a bit stodgy, nothing losing 30 lbs and some alterations won't hurt. He's very reasonable and open to negotiation on prices for volume. He has some really great shirtings,on fabric in stock the turn around time is about 2 weeks.

I also had 2 pairs of pants MTM from Modernize in Chinatown last month, from old heavy flannel from their "vault" really nice pants,that fit very well, too bad they won't be around much longer.

Cheers,

Siwash

contaygious

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I'll give Steve a try first since I live so close and then go from there. At least my Zegna jacket is half off because of the wait, but from what I hear it's just a similar price to what I would find at a tailor now with similar fabric.

OTR is not even an option for me due to my height unless I buy shirts from shopthefinest and Joy tailors it, but I have already ordered everything I liked there that fit me and I'm waiting for more shipments to come in-do they always have the same stuff?

vancommercial

Reaction score
This is my frist time posting but i have been following this thread for quite a while.

I recently got my first MTM suit made from Steve at Samson's tailors in yaletown. And i gotta say it was a dreadful experience. He is snobby, arogant and un proffessional. He did not meet my deadline and a whole wack of other stuff went wrong.

I also had some custom shirts made from him and those turned out alright.

The Suit itself has turned out good after months of alterations from him but i must say he kept blaming the lack of fit on my body. Because i have a lot of "shape" (im 6 foot with muscular build) he says the cloth needs to "mold" to my body etc etc.

His prices are good but i would only recommend him if you are the average joblo and want a basic suit.

My question is, has anyone had anything made from Townline Tailors? I dropped by the store and the main tailor, i forgot his name, impressed me with his introduction. I would like some testimonials though before i decide to put him to the task of my second MTM suit.

Doc4

Reaction score
Originally Posted by vancommercial
My question is, has anyone had anything made from Townline Tailors? I dropped by the store and the main tailor, i forgot his name, impressed me with his introduction. I would like some testimonials though before i decide to put him to the task of my second MTM suit.

Frank is his name ... last name something like Blasser, but I am going from memory and know I got it a bit wrong.

I've had him (well, his shop) alter several STP suits of mine, and am satisfied with the results. Whether or not that translates into a good MTM suit or not ... well, it's probably not enough info to say for certain either way, but I didn't see anything that would send me running the other way.

contaygious

Reaction score
Well I'm going tomorrow just for a shirt first and we'll see how it turns out. I hope I have a better experience haha. Even if all goes wrong I guess I could always wear it under a sweater
smile.gif
. Any tips to get it right the first time?

JeffsWood

Reaction score
Originally Posted by vancommercial
This is my frist time posting but i have been following this thread for quite a while.

I recently got my first MTM suit made from Steve at Samson's tailors in yaletown. And i gotta say it was a dreadful experience. He is snobby, arogant and un proffessional. He did not meet my deadline and a whole wack of other stuff went wrong.

I also had some custom shirts made from him and those turned out alright.

The Suit itself has turned out good after months of alterations from him but i must say he kept blaming the lack of fit on my body. Because i have a lot of "shape" (im 6 foot with muscular build) he says the cloth needs to "mold" to my body etc etc.

His prices are good but i would only recommend him if you are the average joblo and want a basic suit.

Sadly I have the same story. Happy with Steve’s shirts, but when he made me a suit things did not go so well.

I have not tried Townline for MTM. I have had a suit made at Harry Rosen - during their Sammy events. A bit pricey maybe, but less stress. These days as I find with a few touches MTO works well for body so I have given up on MTM.

vancommercial

Reaction score
Originally Posted by contaygious
Well I'm going tomorrow just for a shirt first and we'll see how it turns out. I hope I have a better experience haha. Even if all goes wrong I guess I could always wear it under a sweater
smile.gif
. Any tips to get it right the first time?

Well, hes gonna talk your ear off...Also, hes snobby. My advice is to stick to business and act proffessional...dont give him room to wiggle....

Also, i thought townline was very estabilished and so i expected more replies and testimonials. I am still leaning towards them for my next suit, and im expecting to spend about a grand. Compared to samson's fabrics, townline was like heaven.

My cousin got a suit made from Harry Rosen, and i think i would only reccommend it if you have cash to blow and if you have the average body. slim etc.

Does anyone know any other estabilished MTM tailors in vancouver.

Also, anyone know a good dress shirt tailor. Samsons was good, but i cant deal with the guy.
I contacted www.theperfectshirt.ca This guy doesnt have a shop but will come to your home. It sounds kind of sketchy. Any other ideas? Gemelli's on howe has very nice, made in italy, shirts but not custom.

hjiwa

Reaction score
Hi Style Forum:

I came across this post while reviewing some of our website statistics (noticing some visits from this thread). I am part owner of www.theperfectshirt.ca. We started this business about one year ago as we had some of the same problems that some of you are having - we just could not find shirts in Vancouver (custom or off-the-rack) that really worked for us in terms of fit, quality and price. So - we did research, we educated ourselves, we practiced and now have established our own company focusing only on custom dress shirts for men with hundreds of happy clients. Our shirts are tailored in hong kong, our fabrics are mostly 2-ply 100% cotton and our construction quality is top-notch. Most of our shirts are $120/each, with specials such as buy 4 get the 5th free. We take more measurements (example: we actually adjust armholes and sleeve width to get a nice, clean finish) and pay more attention to each shirt then any of our competitors.

All of our measurements are taken by either myself or my business partner locally. We did attempt some relationships with tailor shops who would take measurements for us, but we found that the best results were achieved when we measured our clients ourselves. Not having a physical store allows us to focus on what we really enjoy and excel at - which is getting you in the perfect shirt. period. Most clients find us visiting them at their home or office is most convenient, but we may have one or two hotel events coming up.

Thanks and please feel free to give us a call or drop by our website for more information.

Hafeez

gius

Reaction score
Do these tailors usually make just suits, shirts and (sometimes?) trousers?
And alterations.

I was wondering if they also do designed items.. choosing collar designs, button stand designs etc with their client to come up with something different...

contaygious

Reaction score
Samson and paul's make shirts however you want them with the former being less expensive, but not quite the quality. Samson did 9 shirts my way and I love them. I'll post pics up soon of how they fit for critique. I use Paul's for jackets and suits and I use joy for alterations.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads