• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photos of my Tom Ford RTW Suit

mrbowtie

Reaction score
All, not all department stores do a poor job tailoring or fitting suits. I think the problem lies when you have the tailor himself fit the suit. A tailor knows how to tailor and do what they are told. They do not necessarily know how to fit a suit. Most of the time, tailors are not up with current styles, trends, etc. At my old shop, we very seldom if ever let the tailor fit. My shop keepers were all trained on the art of fitting and I'm not talking about a 1 week or 1 month course. Personally, I usually trained for a year before I would let my staff begin fitting suits. On the rare occasion that we encountered a tough fit, we would then bring the tailor up show we could explain the issue that we were looking to correct.

A good fitter can make or break a suit and offer great advice to the consumer as long as they are knowledgeable. I can tell you that my repeat business was outstanding because of our service and reputation and there were numerous times where we simply would not allow the client to take the suit home when we noticed any problems, even situations where the client didn't notice anything wrong.

At the end of the day, it's the job of the staff to be the experts and educate the consumer. If you have a client leave with a killer suit that fits to a tee, guess what? Women are going to notice and compliment him and you're gonna have a client for life, as well as tons of referrals.

AvariceBespoke, if you like, I'd be willing to meet you at Tom Ford and make sure they fit the suit correctly. Contact me for details, etc.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrbowtie
AvariceBespoke, if you like, I'd be willing to meet you at Tom Ford and make sure they fit the suit correctly. Contact me for details, etc.

Please take him up on this offer.

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrbowtie
All, not all department stores do a poor job tailoring or fitting suits. I think the problem lies when you have the tailor himself fit the suit. A tailor knows how to tailor and do what they are told. They do not necessarily know how to fit a suit. Most of the time, tailors are not up with current styles, trends, etc. At my old shop, we very seldom if ever let the tailor fit. My shop keepers were all trained on the art of fitting and I'm not talking about a 1 week or 1 month course. Personally, I usually trained for a year before I would let my staff begin fitting suits. On the rare occasion that we encountered a tough fit, we would then bring the tailor up show we could explain the issue that we were looking to correct.

A good fitter can make or break a suit and offer great advice to the consumer as long as they are knowledgeable. I can tell you that my repeat business was outstanding because of our service and reputation and there were numerous times where we simply would not allow the client to take the suit home when we noticed any problems, even situations where the client didn't notice anything wrong.

At the end of the day, it's the job of the staff to be the experts and educate the consumer. If you have a client leave with a killer suit that fits to a tee, guess what? Women are going to notice and compliment him and you're gonna have a client for life, as well as tons of referrals.

Well said and quite a kind offer....

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
B sounds like a well-intentioned guy so I hope things work out for him. What I guess I'm more bothered about is the fact that it does not sound like AB knows what size he is to begin with.

You should have walked in to TF, told them you are usually a 44R and ask them which models run slimmer than others, whether a 54 would translate well, etc. This is basic fit knowledge, and if you relied on the store, even if you were paying $3K, you were doing yourself a disservice. And if this was your first "real" suit, $3K is a lot to pay for a lesson on fit (ignoring all the other issues).

Good luck! Let us know how it goes. We certainly want to see you in a well-fitting suit.

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
AB sounds like a well-intentioned guy so I hope things work out for him. What I guess I'm more bothered about is the fact that it does not sound like AB knows what size he is to begin with. You should have walked in to TF, told them you are usually a 44R and ask them which models run slimmer than others, whether a 54 would translate well, etc. This is basic fit knowledge, and if you relied on the store, even if you were paying $3K, you were doing yourself a disservice. And if this was your first "real" suit, $3K is a lot to pay for a lesson on fit (ignoring all the other issues). Good luck! Let us know how it goes. We certainly want to see you in a well-fitting suit.
I would have to disagree. There are some people who do not care to be as involved. They don't care what size they wear. All they care about is that what they have on fits them, whether you call it a 28 or a 68. That is the purpose of paying for these services. You should be able to rely on an "expert."

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rebel222
I would have to disagree. There are some people who do not care to be as involved. They don't care what size they wear. All they care about is that what they have on fits them, whether you call it a 28 or a 68. That is the purpose of paying for these services. You should be able to rely on an "expert."

Sure. But these same people would not be on SF asking for our advice or doing the research before hand, which is what AB claims to have done. If you're going to do all this "research," the least you can do is know what size you are, generally, so you have a decent working knowledge of where to go from there.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I remember now...I did post in this thread.

I remember a time when you actually said stuff.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Thanks god these days are over!

Where there was once a Voice, there is now only an Echo.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I remember a time when you actually said stuff.

I'm saving up for Devil's Island.

Originally Posted by Fuuma
Thanks god these days are over!

If I could post in song, it would be different...I still have several operas in me about Tom Ford.

- B

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I'm saving up for Devil's Island.

I just try to make my comments iNane enough so that they get there on their own.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
I'm shaped like a troglodyte.

I wasn't sure how much leeway I had or how much it would screw up a jacket by throwing other things off. Thank you.

The search goes on for that perfect RTW. I find soft and unstructured tends to be the most forgiving and accommodating. Thanks.

You first.

lefty

I've got a few people in NY I'm trying to use as guinea pigs and was hoping you'd join the list. I think I've got a guy at work ready to go on a sweet operation, which is taking a new suit into the tailor and asking them to remove the shoulder pad and then trimming the shoulder area up. I need to see how that turns out too.

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My last suit was otr 40r us. Different cut so size is not comparable. I first tried 50r at tom ford. It was clearly too small. Then I tried 52r it fit much better than compared to 50r but not enough. I think I made an error focsuing on the relative improvement of 50 vs 52 as opposed to if the 52r fit on an absolute basis.
Originally Posted by teddieriley
Sure. But these same people would not be on SF asking for our advice or doing the research before hand, which is what AB claims to have done. If you're going to do all this "research," the least you can do is know what size you are, generally, so you have a decent working knowledge of where to go from there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads