• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My RRL New Leather Jacket- Whadya think?

bjm

Reaction score
Have always wanted to have a quality leather jacket but could never decide on the right one, many are too bikerish or too Polo preppy looking, others are just boring in their plainess. Finally took the plunge on this one which pushed all the right buttons..what do you think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like it. If it doesn't work for you please let me know. . .
wink.gif

DoTheGrownup

Reaction score
Is a lot of the RRL stuff made in China? I would have expected a $1,500 leather jacket from RL to be made in America or Italy.

bjm

Reaction score
I thought that was odd too. looks very well made though.

Originally Posted by DoTheGrownup
Is a lot of the RRL stuff made in China? I would have expected a $1,500 leather jacket from RL to be made in America or Italy.

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Most of the RRL outerwear I've come across has been made in China.

bjm

Reaction score
Thats very interesting. I did not think anything of quality came out of China.

Originally Posted by Hard2Fit
Most of the RRL outerwear I've come across has been made in China.

airportlobby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All the RRL leather jackets I've seen have come from China, and they have all been impressive - super thick leather, nice treatment, etc. I guess it's just a sign of the times.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Don't let the Made in China tag fool you. Whoever Ralph is using out there is pretty good. They do some of the nice Polo leather items as well as RRL I think. But they come with hefty price tags (for instance, the suede jacket I'm selling has a retail price of GBP 1250)

novqilin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bjm

To be honest I think they are only using all the best stuff with China's labour

Sometimes if you compare the best stuff made in China against made in Italy you won't find the latter has much advantage on these garments

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bjm
Originally Posted by Holdfast
Don't let the Made in China tag fool you. Whoever Ralph is using out there is pretty good. They do some of the nice Polo leather items as well as RRL I think. But they come with hefty price tags (for instance, the suede jacket I'm selling has a retail price of GBP 1250)
Originally Posted by airportlobby
All the RRL leather jackets I've seen have come from China, and they have all been impressive - super thick leather, nice treatment, etc. I guess it's just a sign of the times.
Agreed. The days of "made in China" meaning unequivocally abysmal crap are nearing an end. True, they still make some crap (same as anywhere else, USA, Italy, too), but they also know hot to make decent stuff, from outerwear to bags to nearly anything else. I used to be anti-China and think it was crap until I realized some of my favorite items and such were made there, but still held up really well (Lambertson Truex, for example). Shoes and suits aren't there yet, from what I've seen... but that, too, will probably change. Outerwear and Bags, though, they've got it.

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The RRL stuff I have seen is really heavy duty, they are made to last a very long time. All of the ones
I have seen are either Italy or China.

chrome_dout

Reaction score
Nice jacket! Not to derail this thread but the thing that bothers me about made in China are the price tags they carry. I would think the designers would pass the obvious price cuts on to the consumer.

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chrome_dout
I would think the designers would pass the obvious price cuts on to the consumer.

LOL funny.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chrome_dout
Nice jacket! Not to derail this thread but the thing that bothers me about made in China are the price tags they carry. I would think the designers would pass the obvious price cuts on to the consumer.

I agree and SOME of them do. Most do not and just pocket the difference, but smaller brands (like Lambertson Truex, for example) have considerably lower pricing for their made in China goods. A made in Italy LT bag will be $1100 or so, while a MIC LT bag will be $375-400, with really no appreciable difference in quality.

Toorman

Reaction score
I met a gentleman that used to work for Kiton and now consults and he felt the issue is not were the garment is manufactured but rather the quality of the fabric/leather that is sourced. That being said I know you're saving money but producing product in China and feel that should be reflected in the price of the garment.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads