• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oxfords for jeans.

chico-t02

Reaction score
Howdy.
I'm 19, usually wear sneakers with jeans, but am looking to move into newer territory.

Anyway, I'm from Australia, and there is a 30% florsheim sale at the moment, and seeing as I'm low on money (university fees) I am considering buying a pair of brown oxfords/loafers from them to pair with jeans mainly, but also double with dress pants (not black, duh) on more casual occurances. They aren't as high society as some of the pairs you guys may sport consider it a trial period with dress shoes and jeans for me.

Here are my favourite ones from their website (I can only afford one). Please critique on my choices.

http://www.florsheim.com.au/www/402/...-1023872_.html

http://www.florsheim.com.au/www/402/...-1006520_.html

http://www.florsheim.com.au/www/402/...-1023865_.html

I prefer the structure of the first pair, the toebox of the second and i dont really know about the third. I spose the colour is a bit nicer for raw jeans and the laid back feel to loafers but i dont think they would pair too well with dress pants. and the stitching is a bit too tacky to me, but I thought I'd get your opinions on it anyway.

Thanks for the help!

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The rubber sole, square toe and dime-a-dozen loafer shape doesn't sit very well in my stomach, the poor quality leather doesn't help.

Honestly, I think being low on money is an easy way to con yourself into buying crap.

My suggestion to you is. Have a look on eBay. For the same price you pay for those new in a store on special, you could get a nice pair of low-end high quality shoes (oxymoron?). There was a link here to an eBay search that encompassed all the good quality brands of shoes, but I can't seem to find, maybe someone else will be able to help you out here.

In conclusion. Don't do it.

mulansauce

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by XenoX101
In conclusion. Don't do it.

+1.

If you are determined to go cheap, then you can find some interesting things on Yoox from unknown Italian brands that aren't too bad.

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know a whole lot about shoes but those look ugly as hell.

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What if they were 500$ AEs, would they still be ugly?

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dashaansafin

They would be different shoes, Allen Edmonds are styled much nicer than the ones posted above, if you're trying to make a statement about expensive shoes being liked for being expensive, this is not the place to do it, quality is sought after here and if it can be had for cheap, the masses will flock to it.

Composer_1777

Reaction score
I like the first ones. You guys r being too snobby about the leather and such, no one is gonna be close enough to tell. In Australia everything is double priced so you guys don't know what you're talking about. Considerig the ausd just dropped so low to usd u might not realise this, though.

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm from Melbourne, so I do know what I'm talking about. Good leather is worth the money in the long run, I bought a pair of julius marlowe's ($200 at myer) and they were ruined in 6 months of daily wear sans weekends.

Also, yes, it is very noticeable, I get commented all the time on my shoes when I wear nice ones.

dopamine

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dashaansafin
If they were $500 AE, they would be marked up by about $200, and I think AE is too traditionally shaped and not suitable for jeans, so yes. First of all, none of the shoes you posted are oxfords, they're derbys (I'm surprised no one mentioned this). Second of all, if you're looking for something to go with jeans, look for more casual brands - as suggested before, sometimes Yoox has some great sales on shoes and boots that are decent. I keep my streetwear and formalwear fairly separate. The only exception to this would be if you're planning to wear these with plain dark jeans and a sport coat/blazer, in which case, a nice pair of brown shoes (I highly recommend the Lowndes double monk from Crockett & Jones) should work. I actually just turned 20, so don't think that I'm some old guy telling you to dress in a sport coat
wink.gif
. If you're planning on wearing jeans with shoes, I'd probably suggest ankle boots or just boots in general over a pair of oxfords.

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hehe I meant 500$ insert designer label here, I dont know much about shoes except for the Jshoes I just recently bought.

Composer_1777

Reaction score
Originally Posted by XenoX101
I'm from Melbourne, so I do know what I'm talking about. Good leather is worth the money in the long run, I bought a pair of julius marlowe's ($200 at myer) and they were ruined in 6 months of daily wear sans weekends.

Also, yes, it is very noticeable, I get commented all the time on my shoes when I wear nice ones.

Myers is garbage, everything there is nothing but some dumb aussie brand. Its like a poor mans macy's only worse brands. Florsheim is pretty good quality and they've been making shoes for a long time, it pays off. I stand by florsheim and the only good reason to buy more luxurious brand dress shoes is if that does fit your lifestyle. You wear nothing but 500$ shoes for any ocassion = you try to hard.

I've worn my florsheim's for about a year and the leather has no marks or scuffs, I've wore these drunk all night in vegas, new orleans, Sydney, Las Angeles etc... and yet they still look polished and i've never cleaned them , not once. They been through flooding and rain and snow, nothing phases them. Thats all i can say is my experience.

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, to each his own. Personally, I find all their designs ordinary. I prefer the look of quality leather, I managed to get my Allen Edmonds for only $180 at Luisa in the city when they had a 70% off closing down sale (one of my pairs was chewed by my dog, so shattering).

Composer_1777

Reaction score
Nice deal Xeno, I'm not trying to bash anyone's taste. All I'm saying is give this guy a break; I don't see anything wrong with florsheim.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads