• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photos of my Tom Ford RTW Suit

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yfyf
Incidentally, did anyone else think this TF was reminiscent of WW Chan HK?

I've never seen a Chan that looked so bad.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Well, heck, how many of us need bespoke? I just assume that a guy wanting to spend $5k on a suit probably wants a nice suit, that's all.

Are you going to guarantee him that in his first go around he will be extremely happy with bespoke? We've all seen bespoke here that is a lot worse and more expensive than that TF suit. The OP first needs to edumacate himself on clothing, then look for his "look", ideally by trying on RTW and taking a good look at himself, not what the associates say and then if he feels his ideal has not been reached, looking for a tailor that does what he is looking for. Sending this guy as is to a tailor is asking him to throw away 4-5K.

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Are you going to guarantee him that in his first go around he will be extremely happy with bespoke? We've all seen bespoke here that is a lot worse and more expensive than that TF suit. The OP first needs to edumacate himself on clothing, then look for his "look", ideally by trying on RTW and taking a good look at himself, not what the associates say and then if he feels his ideal has not been reached, looking for a tailor that does what he is looking for. Sending this guy as is to a tailor is asking him to throw away 4-5K.

Agreed.

kevinele7en

Reaction score
well ill just say that's a pretty nice suit
smile.gif

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mr. Fan, what tailor do you think would be best for me in nyc? My requirements are great fitting suit, strong roped shoulders. Lots of waist suppression and slim flat front trousers w side tabs.
I only know of raphael logsdail fiorvanti. Fiorvanti is too expensive (10k too much). I think len may be within reach for me. 5k ish for basic cloth?

Originally Posted by mafoofan
Well, heck, how many of us need bespoke? I just assume that a guy wanting to spend $5k on a suit probably wants a nice suit, that's all.

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AvariceBespoke
Mr. Fan, what tailor do you think would be best for me in nyc? My requirements are great fitting suit, strong roped shoulders. Lots of waist suppression and slim flat front trousers w side tabs.
I only know of raphael logsdail fiorvanti. Fiorvanti is too expensive (10k too much). I think len may be within reach for me. 5k ish for basic cloth?

FYI, the TF look you like or liked. Does not have roped shoulders, just very structured ones.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, did you get your money back from TF?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I'm not well-versed in NYC tailors at all; I just know of the same big names you do. There are lots of past threads that would be far more informative. I will only say that if you plan on going bespoke, you should try educating yourself first. While I don't think you need to (or even should) direct your bespoke tailor, you need to understand what you want and what to look for. Otherwise your bespoke results can easily turn out as disappointing as what you got from Tom Ford.

tutee

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I am not Mfan but will try to answer a few things.

Raphael to the best of my knowledge will ONLY alter outside suits for his established customers. Len Logsdail is going to be be considerbly more than Raphael. Len is more than 5k.

Based on the fact that you dont know much about the details of process involved in bespoke. I will NOT recomend a blank walk-in with Raphael (in your case) and certainly not Fiorvanti ever! You need rock solid contacts to get a really good suit out the first time from some of these tailors (if you dont know much yourself).

If you have good contacts go to Raphael or Len.... if not dont do anything yet till you know a bit more about clothing. Save your money! Bespoke should not be something of a hasty decision. Raphael is a Very good tailor but you have to know your stuff to get the best out of him.

BTW I have seen work of all the tailors mentioned on clients and personally visited Raphael and Len multiple times.

just few thoughts

PS there are quite a few of Raphael's and few of Len's customers here. I hope they will speak up. Better yet go visit them yourself to see what they offer.

whiskeylaureate

Reaction score
This is a peculiar one...I definitely agree that the shoulders are too narrow--I think you would definitely benefit from something wider, both to add balance and get rid of that weird wrinkle issue. Also, do the arms look a little too tight to anyone else? Perhaps some more lateral raises and less biceps/triceps lifts would help you achieve the Tom Ford look? I actually haven't figured out what the Tom Ford look is, especially after last week's Brad Pitt sighting...In that vein, I would say that the wide tie is spot on.

As for slacks, aren't Ford's typically baggier than the current trend towards the Neil Barret slim-fit look?

Regardless, refund that thing. You could do better with a $1K Hugo Boss from Nordstrom (I know from experience).

base615

Reaction score
I had a very similar problem with a bespoke jacket that I was unhappy with. It was sorted out by another tailor by recutting a longer collar.

The short collar was pulling the front of the jacket up causing the shoulders and back to look tight. He said that the majority of issues he sees are caused by the collar and after he cut a new collar (luckily I had some cloth left) the jacket moved towards the front of my body resolving the vent issue, shoulders and the wrinkling behind the neck. I was quite amazed at the difference from such a small change (the new collar was only cut less than an inch longer on each side).

Not sure how you'd achieve this with RTW but it is possible that TF may be able to give you a strip of the same cloth so you can take it to a decent bespoke tailor.

Of course this is just based on my experience and the issue here may be totally different but it looks similar to the problem with my jacket.

GTR

Reaction score
Originally Posted by vitaminc
You did not make any mistake; it was TF's store sales/tailor. They should be able to fix that suit for you.

His mistake was trying too hard be the next James Bond. The myopic desire for a Tom Ford suit without realizing how unremarkable and ill-fitting it is.

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GTR
His mistake was trying too hard be the next James Bond. The myopic desire for a Tom Ford suit without realizing how unremarkable and ill-fitting it is.

Please, I'm not that naive. What drew me to TF was I liked the silhouette of their OTR suits & for OTR they seemed to be pretty good construction. Also, I thought the slim flat-front trousers with side tabs were nice. Unfortunately the trousers fit a bit strange in the hips & the coat is just a mess.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads