• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

iwhelan

Reaction score
I've been getting a few compliments on my MIE Oxblood 1460's that I bought recently. I have been polishing them with black polish and I love the look. They were darkened even with the first application. The dark shiny look is great. You have to buff them well so that you don't get a marble texture with residue of black polish in certain spots.

My feet are somewhat narrow (I wear a C width AE Park Avenue) so I was using some insoles, but they didn't fit so great (they were only for the back of the foot). I ordered the actual DM insoles and they're pretty great. I could feel a big difference right away. I haven't worn them outside yet. Strangely I had to trim around the front a bit to get them to fit well. You would think DM brand insoles would fit perfectly. Anyway, I'm looking forward to wearing them out.

The MIEs are breaking in well too, starting to get a nice amount of creasing.

-Ian

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I just got my MIE Oxblood 1460's yesterday and started breaking them in. I'm not sure if they look any different, but I can definitely feel the difference between them and the MIC nightmare that I bought last year. I gave those MIC's about two solid weeks of break-in and it was torture. The new boots are already feeling softer after the second brief wear. With the 35% discount, they can't be beat!

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amnesiac
These probably won't shine up like the normal smooth leather will they? The exel full analine leather bit really has me interested...
I have the brown ones in the excel leather and it shines up more so than a normal oil-leather boot, but not as mirror shine as the regular DM correct grain leather gets. Oh yea, I also have the 1461 shoe version of the black James....and it does shine up well enough, just not mirror shine

YoungPunch

Reaction score
I am so fucked. Do Docs come in half sizes or just whole sizes? UK 8 is a bit too small for me, and UK 9 are too big. Damn.

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've only ever seen them in whole sizes. Get the bigger size and wear thick socks.

iwhelan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by YoungPunch
I am so fucked. Do Docs come in half sizes or just whole sizes? UK 8 is a bit too small for me, and UK 9 are too big. Damn.

Just get the larger size and buy the DM insoles. They will fill in the extra room and make them fit a bit more snugly.

-Ian

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
^^ +1.....it's not that big of a deal to put an insole in the larger size. If anything it will be even more comfortable to wear

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yay, as long as you get something other than the standard black, there are far too many awesome variations to stick with the most common. I recently copped a bright blue pair that I'll be wearing one of these days.

amnesiac

Reaction score
Originally Posted by XenoX101
Yay, as long as you get something other than the standard black, there are far too many awesome variations to stick with the most common. I recently copped a bright blue pair that I'll be wearing one of these days.
I just averaged 4 hours of sleep 3 nights in a row and I've done 4 of 5 finals so excuse my rambling, but I thought it'd be fun to write this:
I feel like this would depend on how you 1. approach your personal aesthetic 2. approach doc martens. Aesthetically, I find blue shoes, or the graphics collection of 1460s, the women's patent leather and flower print, etc. to be too loud for the most part, and entirely too gimmicky for myself. Also, I personally try to get pieces that fit with my everyday wardrobe. It's nice to have specific things that are perfect for that one occasion when you get to wear that perfect outfit, but i'm on a budget, i'm wearing the same clothes every day and I just want it to look good from fit and perhaps details that mean something to me. The clothes are an extension of your personality not a substitute. I wear docs because they remind me of my high school uniform, which I actually have fond memories of, and because of the longstanding history that they have with so many subcultures. Regardless of intention, and not to pigeonhole the shoe as exclusively belonging to a certain culture, it's channeled when I wear them. The stitching and sole is iconic to say the least. Further, the juxtaposition of the history of docs with the preppiness of my uniform adds a certain something for me as well in how I view them, how I feel wearing them, how I feel when I see them sitting on my floor stewing cedar blocks next to my crumpled up denim. It's all a part of the legacy and history of docs as they continue to evolve and grow in the minds of people. And it's in keeping with this that my traditionalist wants to stay within some general boundaries that my inner aesthetic agrees with. Bright blue footwear is a no, unless they're mad comfy bunny slippers with fluffy tails and warm shearling lining, and even then they won't be leaving the house.​
as a nice way of saying
blush.gif
It's not what you're wearing, it's how you wear it. But i'm avoiding standard black 1460s for the same reason right now.

reprehensible

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
^^ +1.....it's not that big of a deal to put an insole in the larger size. If anything it will be even more comfortable to wear

Just to sound a note of caution: this is not always true for everybody. I've tried this advice with different kinds of shoes over the years, and it usually ends with the fit being really awkward. Possibly I just hate the feel of insoles, though. Especially ones with a really thick heel and thin toe part. Flat ones feel OK, but don't really take up much room.

mr. burns

Reaction score
i have a pair similar to the ones below, only the leather isn't textured like that and it's darker. i used them as work boots and beat the hell out of them for a year+. put some chelsea leather food on them and they cleaned up decently but still have a nice worn look to them imo. just wondering what the people here thought of the style since i never really see it much.
8287pnt-drmartenp_01.jpg

CharlieAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been looking for a pair of monkstraps for awhile now, anyone got any experience with the MIE older Dr. Martens monks?

Primarily, it'll be for riding on a scooter so I wanted something a bit more oil/road proof (I hate slipping in oil at the stop light) that looks alright.

I'm also considering a pair of "Vintage" docs proper, or maybe a pair of Red Wing GTs for a similar, but functional look...

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Dave....you posted earlier about wanting the tassle Doc Marten loafer....not sure when/if those will be reissued again, but I did see them at the British Boot Company, made by Loake with the airwair sole. Not sure how you can get them other than going to the store, but they're out there and still exist

Here's a pic I took in the BBCompany...you can see them in the middle rack, in black and oxblood

l_f6f82e25f4ed47d5971528d2375ea6b2.jpg

Charlatan

Reaction score
Does anyone have pictures of themselves wearing the Doc Marten wingtips? I'm curious as to how they look with jeans and chinos. Thanks.

If you don't have pictures, but own a pair. How do they feel? Would they be too clunky for a very, VERY, casual work setting?

spoiledone

Reaction score
Originally Posted by reprehensible
Just to sound a note of caution: this is not always true for everybody. I've tried this advice with different kinds of shoes over the years, and it usually ends with the fit being really awkward. Possibly I just hate the feel of insoles, though. Especially ones with a really thick heel and thin toe part. Flat ones feel OK, but don't really take up much room.

I actually bought a pair of US size 9 Cherry Red 1460's and I usually wear a US 9 and 1/2. They did fit but very "snuggly". The SA said they would stretch out so I took them home and wore them around for 2 days - my feet were literally killing me. I returned them and got the US size 10 and then bought some Tana felt boot insoles and now it is absolute perfection. I bought the MIC's because that is all that is available around here. Now that I know what size to get I will be looking at some MIE's.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads