• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

High-End Watch Knock-offs

zenith

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles

I just don't get it with watches. What exactly is being paid for? It just seems like an ego-gratifying status symbol to me, and nothing more.

Isn't dressing well, period, an ego trip? Does wearing bespoke make you a better person? No! It makes you look (and possibly feel) better. I don't think it fair to say watches are not worth the money.

A fine timepiece is really a work of art. Unfortunately, it is something that is often only appreciated by the owner or the lucky person to whom it is passed.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fcuknu
it is about appreciating the art and the craftsmanship that goes into making an exquisite complication.

Fair enough. I was making my point under the assumption that a knock-off really did seem to be exactly the same (without opening it up).

If it is a work of art then I would not consider a watch a tenet of men's style but rather a collector's item, or piece of art.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
I know absolutely no one will agree with me, but this is exactly why I think watches are a very silly buy. You are paying for luxury - and generally unrecognizable luxury.

I agree with everything in your post.

You can get a nice Seiko automatic diver for $150. A new Rolex submariner is what, $4500? What makes the Rolex 30 times better? You will find that there are many 40 or 50 year old Seikos still going strong.

zenith

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steve Smith
I agree with everything in your post.

You can get a nice Seiko automatic diver for $150. A new Rolex submariner is what, $4500? What makes the Rolex 30 times better? You will find that there are many 40 or 50 year old Seikos still going strong.

A Seiko is a fine watch. IMO, it's akin to a Kenmore appliance at Sears. They make a very fine refrigerator. However, there is still a market for Sub Zero's.

My two Partners wear Seiko. I simply prefer the additional elegance and craftmanship of a Swiss watch.

I would not spend $4,500 for a Rolex, but I have no problem paying over twice that for IWC. Instead of a Submariner, I would wear a Speedy or Seamaster from Omega.

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like everything, watches have a lot to do with marketing and hype. Rolexs are not "worth" what they are sold for, but the market is what determines price, so maybe they are.

Watches are pieces of art. There are million dollar tourbillon watches that are worse at keeping time than a 5 dollar quartz watch.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm torn here. The art of watchmaking should not be dulled into fake copies of what a group of talented people spent their time designing, but that said, and gold/diamond bling aside, what on earth can make a watch cost 40, 50, even 100k ???

For me, I would personally LOVE this Jaegar:

http://www.jaeger-lecoultre.com/eu/e...erso-classique

It reverses and when you flip it over you see the mechanism thru the case. Just a piece of art, but 17 grand???? Man. Thats alot of dough.

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
While there is a great deal of hype ... there are a lot of really beautiful watch designs out there that are exclusive to a particular brand. Rolex has become somewhat watered down because of other folks offering very similar designs but I can think of a number of bold and beautiful designs that are simply out of my price range. I would love to own them someday not because of price or prestige, but because they are beautiful. (example: Patek Philipe Ellipse - ~$22,000)
jomashop_2032_100103855
(example: Jorg Schauer Edition 12 - ~$3,500)
jskulisse12_1639_general.jpg

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
High end tourbilion watches usually start at 100k (depending of course). There are few people in the world who have the ability to craft a movement with a tourbilion and they take (in most cases) hundreds of hours to create.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am more freaked out about buying a watch with fake parts...the frankenwatch phenomenon as people call it. I'm no expert on watches as it is so I get more bothered about that when it comes to watches not from a big dealer.

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
I was shocked after I happened upon Chinatown & saw an amazing assortment of watches, many of which made their debut to me on the watch Appreciation thread. How are you guys authenticating your timepieces? I mean, I Googled "knockoff Panarai" for instance, & came across a site that boasts 99% accurate copies!

So I decided to do a further inspection. Any of you who know Canal St. NYC know what I'm about to say: There are a few shops that have manufacturer catalogs & will let you thumb through the books & choose a watch, then bring it out for you! I instantly thought about how many of the IWCs & Panerais I've admired on this forum may be counterfeit.

This instantly took me back to my disdain for Movado & Tag Hauer due to the massive amounts of knockoffs the plagued the city many years ago. I remember contacting Rolex about 15 years ago & inquiring about the knockoffs to which I was met with, "they're making them so close these days, we will have to actually open the case & inspect the movement". :shocked:

Among the brands I inspected were:

Omega Seamaster
Emporio Armani
Chopard
IWC
Panerai
Glaschutte
A. Lange Sohne
Ferrari
Patek Philippe
U-Boat

What are your thoughts?

Manouche gets his watches from the Paris, Chinatown.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yfyf
While there is a great deal of hype ... there are a lot of really beautiful watch designs out there that are exclusive to a particular brand. Rolex has become somewhat watered down because of other folks offering very similar designs but I can think of a number of bold and beautiful designs that are simply out of my price range. I would love to own them someday not because of price or prestige, but because they are beautiful. (example: Patek Philipe Ellipse - ~$22,000)
jomashop_2032_100103855

$22K? $193 here

p.o.t.u.s

Reaction score
Who actually makes the so called high-end fakes? I would assume it requires more know how and infrastructure than the super cheap "Rolexx" watches.

I'm not interested in buying one, but I would actually like to see a high end fake in person and check to see if I could notice a difference.

Anyone have any experience with this? Just curious.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by p.o.t.u.s
Who actually makes the so called high-end fakes? I would assume it requires more know how and infrastructure than the super cheap "Rolexx" watches.

I'm not interested in buying one, but I would actually like to see a high end fake in person and check to see if I could notice a difference.

See post above yours. They even offer boxed sets for the "real deal" effect for ~+$25

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yfyf
I know some very, very wealthy people who take pleasure in wearing fake watches as if they've pulled off THE GREATEST OF ILLUSIONS. They are crazy.

Months ago I was at this very high end mens store in downtown SF when this salesperson was creating a ruckus in front of his regular clients showing off his knock-off Panerai "la bomba" and telling them another client gave it to him, and yes, it is fake. I just don't understand the purpose of this, if he's working inside a store selling >$5000 suits.

Originally Posted by Steve Smith

Not a fan at all of Rolex, and they are overpriced imo. But a lot of products in the higher end of the market has a premium for their name. That is an intangible component of their pricing. You could also say that with other luxury brands- JL, Zegna, Hermes......

Originally Posted by p.o.t.u.s

Fake watches even have their own ratings. Sellers know this, there are terrible fakes, good fakes and what they call "AA" (double A) watches that they claim are very exact copies of the original- and are probably using some generic Swiss automatic movement.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
Months ago I was at this very high end mens store in downtown SF when this salesperson was creating a ruckus in front of his regular clients showing off his knock-off Panerai "la bomba" and telling them another client gave it to him, and yes, it is fake. I just don't understand the purpose of this, if he's working inside a store selling >$5000 suits.

aka"oh this? it's a fake, given to me by a custie so please buy some stuff, I need the commissions..."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads