• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

High-End Watch Knock-offs

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was shocked after I happened upon Chinatown & saw an amazing assortment of watches, many of which made their debut to me on the watch Appreciation thread. How are you guys authenticating your timepieces? I mean, I Googled "knockoff Panarai" for instance, & came across a site that boasts 99% accurate copies!

So I decided to do a further inspection. Any of you who know Canal St. NYC know what I'm about to say: There are a few shops that have manufacturer catalogs & will let you thumb through the books & choose a watch, then bring it out for you! I instantly thought about how many of the IWCs & Panerais I've admired on this forum may be counterfeit.

This instantly took me back to my disdain for Movado & Tag Hauer due to the massive amounts of knockoffs the plagued the city many years ago. I remember contacting Rolex about 15 years ago & inquiring about the knockoffs to which I was met with, "they're making them so close these days, we will have to actually open the case & inspect the movement". :shocked:

Among the brands I inspected were:

Omega Seamaster
Emporio Armani
Chopard
IWC
Panerai
Glaschutte
A. Lange Sohne
Ferrari
Patek Philippe
U-Boat

What are your thoughts?

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1

What are your thoughts?

people knock off watches?! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Whats next, LV handbags?

satorstyle

Reaction score
You are correct some are so close the only way to verify is to have the movement inspected. I only buy from the approved manufacture resellers. If not the warranty can be void in most cases.

RJmanbearpig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Glashuette knockoffs? Who knew?

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK, as an afterthought, I have to admit, after I hit the button on this thread I realized only 1 of say, 10 would understand my point, hence the sarcasm.

I know the aficionados are purchasing their pieces from reputable sources, but even still, who's to say? Plus, I know many of you are buying your stuff second-hand so watch out (pun intended).

What really justifies the 1,000% markup?

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
What really justifies the 1,000% markup?

As with any other luxury goods, most of it is name/branding that you're paying for but especially when compared with the fakes, you're also paying for quality. Those watches will not hold up to the test of time because while the case may look the same, the parts are not and are often vastly inferior, not properly oiled, dirty, etc.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would be wary of buying a used high end watch because of the quality of the replicas out there. $200 will buy a Submariner replica that will pass anything short of an expert examination. And like the previous poster said, even many dealers would have to remove the back in order to be sure.

On a wrist, even a mediocre replica can pass as genuine, depending upon the wearer. Most people will assume that Submariner worn by a kid is a replica, while you could put the exact same watch on a 50 year old man in a good suit and people would assume that it is genuine.

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I know some very, very wealthy people who take pleasure in wearing fake watches as if they've pulled off THE GREATEST OF ILLUSIONS. They are crazy.

99% of these fakes are gonna be pretty crap. If you like a nice watch, like the heft and quality of its finishing then you will happily buy the real thing. What is disappointing is how much markup there is on most modern watches. Furthermore, it seems much more difficult to get watches on deep discount than clothes on deep discount.

zenith

Reaction score
If you are buying a watch for people to think you have money/ class/ status/ or whatever, then you might as well buy a fake. What's the difference? It's all for appearances anyway.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yfyf
99% of these fakes are gonna be pretty crap. If you like a nice watch, like the heft and quality of its finishing then you will happily buy the real thing.

You would be surprised. 99% of the population can't tell the difference between a genuine and a good replica.

As for the heft and quality, go to a jewelry store and examine a Rolex Submariner and an Omega Planet Ocean side by side. The difference in quality of the bracelets in particular is surprising. The Rolex costs much more but it seems cheap in comparison.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I know absolutely no one will agree with me, but this is exactly why I think watches are a very silly buy. You are paying for luxury - and generally unrecognizable luxury.

So the knock off will die after a year? Buy ten, still save money, and replace them as they die. If you really can't tell the difference - then there is no difference.

I don't see any parallels in other men's clothing.

Suits - I like canvassed suits because they look better. Generally, canvassed suits go along with better material (noticeable).

Shirts - If the material is nice and the cut is good, I couldn't care less how luxurious it is.

Shoes - The more expensive, the better they look, the more comfortable they are (sometimes), the nicer the last (in general), and the higher quality the leather.

Ties - The nice the tie, the nicer the knot/dimple (in my experience) and the more obviously nice the material.

I just don't get it with watches. What exactly is being paid for? It just seems like an ego-gratifying status symbol to me, and nothing more.

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it is about appreciating the art and the craftsmanship that goes into making an exquisite complication.

satorstyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
I know absolutely no one will agree with me, but this is exactly why I think watches are a very silly buy. You are paying for luxury - and generally unrecognizable luxury.

So the knock off will die after a year? Buy ten, still save money, and replace them as they die. If you really can't tell the difference - then there is no difference.

I don't see any parallels in other men's clothing.

Suits - I like canvassed suits because they look better. Generally, canvassed suits go along with better material (noticeable).

Shirts - If the material is nice and the cut is good, I couldn't care less how luxurious it is.

Shoes - The more expensive, the better they look, the more comfortable they are (sometimes), the nicer the last (in general), and the higher quality the leather.

Ties - The nice the tie, the nicer the knot/dimple (in my experience) and the more obviously nice the material.

I just don't get it with watches. What exactly is being paid for? It just seems like an ego-gratifying status symbol to me, and nothing more.

See how a A. Lange Sohne is crafted, you'll at least appreciate the detail that goes into making it work.

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steve Smith
You would be surprised. 99% of the population can't tell the difference between a genuine and a good replica.

As for the heft and quality, go to a jewelry store and examine a Rolex Submariner and an Omega Planet Ocean side by side. The difference in quality of the bracelets in particular is surprising. The Rolex costs much more but it seems cheap in comparison.

True, I imagine there are good quality replicas out there (there seems to be a cult following for super-high quality replicas). However the replicas I've seen firsthand for modest watches like the Seamaster pale in comparison to the real deal.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics