• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

banana republic vs jcrew

mmhollis

Reaction score
I would say that I do like BR for linen pants or shirts on the cheap, other than that hands down J. Crew.

Vernon-Dozier

Reaction score
BR is trash, I'm always amazed how the GAP and BR outlets are always filled with shoppers while the J Crew outlet has half the traffic. I do go to BR every once in awhile and never end up buying anything. J Crew easily wins this one...

lance konami

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
J Crew by far. But really Banana Republic vs. Zara is a better comparison stylewise. And Zara wins.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find more stuff at the Gap that I like than BR - given the materials/quality, the plain factor works in the Gap's favor for me.

I did get a herringbone 'military' jacket at BR on the cheap, and usually they seem to have nice outerwear stuff. But as a rule I'd rather go down to the Gap or up to J Crew.

needshoehelp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by milosz
I find more stuff at the Gap that I like than BR - given the materials/quality, the plain factor works in the Gap's favor for me.
Couldn't agree more. Whereas at BR all they seem to have is horrendous clubbby-striped stuff, Gap has a lot more plain basics that to me is 90% of the "quality" (whatever that may be) of BR at 50% of the price -- and is more tasteful to boot.

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vernon-Dozier
BR is trash, I'm always amazed how the GAP and BR outlets are always filled with shoppers while the J Crew outlet has half the traffic. I do go to BR every once in awhile and never end up buying anything. J Crew easily wins this one...
yeah same. When BR had that 50% family and friends sale a while back. I really had a hard time picking out something. So I endup getting some vnecks, and socks.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
This might be the lamest debate in the history of online fashion forums

crackup[1].gif

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The great thing about clothes (style, fashion, whatever) is there's no one right answer. What's right for me may not be right for you. Banana Republic is sometimes the answer for me, though often it pales in comparison to J. Crew and other things. Like I've said, I've procured some great pieces from BR. My complaint is, I can't always find great pieces there consistently--whereas I can with J. Crew.

So ultimately this thread isn't really much of a debate, lame or otherwise. I think it's pretty obvious everybody prefers J. Crew over BR. AT the same time, bashing either place seems pretty lame to me, too.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's about even for me.

Costs are similar, fit/sizing is better for me at BR, more interesting design at J Crew (90% of BR is indeed bland), materials are comparable.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robert
The great thing about clothes (style, fashion, whatever) is there's no one right answer. What's right for me may not be right for you. Banana Republic is sometimes the answer for me, though often it pales in comparison to J. Crew and other things. Like I've said, I've procured some great pieces from BR. My complaint is, I can't always find great pieces there consistently--whereas I can with J. Crew. So ultimately this thread isn't really much of a debate, lame or otherwise. I think it's pretty obvious everybody prefers J. Crew over BR. AT the same time, bashing either place seems pretty lame to me, too.
nevermind. yea, jcrew is better

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
yeah, whatever, never mind.

mulansauce

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robert
The great thing about clothes (style, fashion, whatever) is there's no one right answer. What's right for me may not be right for you. Banana Republic is sometimes the answer for me, though often it pales in comparison to J. Crew and other things. Like I've said, I've procured some great pieces from BR. My complaint is, I can't always find great pieces there consistently--whereas I can with J. Crew.

So ultimately this thread isn't really much of a debate, lame or otherwise. I think it's pretty obvious everybody prefers J. Crew over BR. AT the same time, bashing either place seems pretty lame to me, too.

Chrono already knows that fashion is not objective.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
He's a little brighter than I think most people give him credit for.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads