• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
^^ yea that's sort of the typical oi look....stars n bars patches, that was always the "subtle" way of saying you were white power...at least for American skinheads
tinfoil.gif

gawkrodger

Reaction score
Whilst in no way a skin, I've grown up with skins, and still have a number of skinhead mates. Hell, I even know the words to Joe Hawkins and Harry May! ha Oh, they're all SHARP/RASH skins. My other experience of skins is chasing boneheads as fast as their fat ******* legs can carry them!
wink.gif

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gawkrodger
/RASH skins.

eh, you had me until there...heh

Originally Posted by Hermitedge
Face The Aggression is such a great song.

great record. My fave Condemned 84 song is "Skinhead" and when I used to see the Dropkick Murphy's in the mid 90s they actually covered it in their live set, which is unthinkable for today's DKM

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As an outsider, most of the skins I saw in Australia in the 1980s weren't too far off Romper Stomper. This thread has been very educational - thanks guys!

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Australia had an interesting skinhead-related tangent scene called "Sharpies" (nothing to do with SHARP)

this site is really cool for Sharpie info/pics....it seems to be down now but it usually works

http://www.skinsnsharps.com/

But Oz has had its share of RAC bands that would spawn Romper-Stomper type fellas...White Noise, Blood Red Eagle, Fortress, etc. I dont even think I know of any Oz bands that were not racially motivated.
frown.gif

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
speaking of "Sharpies" this oz band, Purple Hearts (nothing to do with the Mod revival band of same name), have an awesome discography out that rocks if you're into 60s style mod rock

there used to be live 60s footage of Purple Hearts performing their stomper "Just a little bit" on youtube but it's been since pulled. a shame because the footage was amazing, and super rare, coming from some Oz tv show at the time

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
there used to be live 60s footage of Purple Hearts performing their stomper "Just a little bit" on youtube but it's been since pulled. a shame because the footage was amazing, and super rare, coming from some Oz tv show at the time
I think I've seen that clip on Oz TV. Sharrpies were sorta bogans with a little more style.
laugh.gif

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
great record. My fave Condemned 84 song is "Skinhead" and when I used to see the Dropkick Murphy's in the mid 90s they actually covered it in their live set, which is unthinkable for today's DKM

Honestly, I'm almost ashamed that I was once a fan of theirs. I still think their first album was great, but their new stuff is almost unbearable. Alhough I was never a fan of the Bruisers, I expected more from Al Barr.

Mike McColgan, the original singer has a new band, Street Dogs, who are pretty good. Saw them last spring. As far as I know, they're not a skin band, but still reminiscent of early Dropkick.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I loved the Bruisers, I thought Al Barr going to the DKMs would be a good thing, but it's turned out to be awful overall

Street Dogs are ok, they've been around a long time now, saw them a few times and it's ok, something about their songs are really unmemorable for me. Funny thing, I was going to make Thick as Thieves suits for them, but **** just couldnt get together logistically for it to happen, tho in hindsight I'm glad it didnt (impossible to work with bands that dont know anything about clothes and sizing without them being in front of you and that band's members live in different parts of the country)

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
since this thread is "traditional skinheads"...you gotta have some images of Mr Aitken, the Godfather of ska

laurel_aitken_1998.jpg

aitkenillu.jpg

027_jpg.jpg

laurel1.jpg

dave

Reaction score
<<<<<<<< another of "the godfather"

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads