• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What MANLY stuff did you do today?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Nooooooooooo!
cry.gif

Sorry. I was afraid that word, in particular, might wound you.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
That is one manly garage going up Hunts.
Thanks -- it is long awaited. The design went through many revisions before arriving at this one. You'd think a garage would be simple, but no....
Originally Posted by SField
Question: Wouldn't you want an attached garage in a place that has a lot of snow? What are the pros/cons to doing that?
I really don't have 'a lot' of snow. I get snow, but a foot from one storm would be considered quite heavy.
Depends what he's doing out there. Fire safety of the main house could be a thought, depending on what he's doing. Also, if it's a dust making endeavor, like wood working, be nice not to be attached.
All good points and on our list. To answer SField -- a big point is impracticality of adding on a garage to the house. We have nice views, and putting up a building of that size anywhere near would block the view somewhere. Where we've placed it is about 20' lower than the house, and maybe 30 paces away. The way the location interacts with the house is really cool, too. Practicality point two is that the garage....is huge. It's almost 70' long, which is longer than the house. There's no way to tack a garage that size onto our style of house without it looking awkward, especially bearing in mind that the garage won't be externally finished to the same level as the house. There are security aspects also. The garage will not be as secure as the house, no way. I don't want to give some thief a place to hide out of sight while he works his way through the connecting door. As Piobaire mentioned, there will be a woodworking shop, with hopefully some metalworking tools also (as soon as I recover financially, and probably after edumcatin' myself some more). There will be an arc welder. All of this fueled by a 200 amp spur off the house's panel. There are many reasons why those operations should be away from the house -- fire, fumes, dust, smoke. I'm sick of lacquering stuff in the basement and being able to smell it everywhere in the house. Also, it's more trouble for someone to come and bother me if they have to go for a walk.
smile.gif
So yeah, when it snows I have to trudge to the garage, fire up the snowblower and blow a path, and then take the truck out and plow the driveway. Then go change and go to work. But I'd have to do a lot of that anyway even if the garage was attached. Rain and other inclemency is another matter, though. If it's miserable I can always park under the carport at the back of the house (under the 2nd floor balcony) and take two steps. Ultimately it's a personal choice priority thing. We do stuff and don't mind getting a little wet sometimes, so this works for us. ~ H

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yesterday, I installed a 24 x 26" rolling shelf in my closet to start a proper shoe storage system there. That was a test shelf to make sure the 8 others will fit - success and 8 shelves now on order. Will solve a major headache in my closet.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Yesterday, I installed a 24 x 26" rolling shelf in my closet to start a proper shoe storage system there. That was a test shelf to make sure the 8 others will fit - success and 8 shelves now on order. Will solve a major headache in my closet.

I doubt that most men would consider it manly to install 8 shelves for storing a shoe collection, but good job anyway.
laugh.gif

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
I doubt that most men would consider it manly to install 8 shelves for storing a shoe collection, but good job anyway.
laugh.gif

That's as manly as it gets for me!
wink.gif
I mean... I used a power tool, OK?

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Friday night went over to the gf's and f-cked her silly. Three times for me that night. Eight for her (though she says she lost count halfway through).

Saturday bought fluids and did an oil/transmission fluid change on the car.

Sunday had a xmas brunch with extended family, then installed some speakers into the car, then went over to gf's place cooked chicken breast stuffed with ham and cheese and pasta with canned alfredo sauce and broccoli and ate while watching a hockey game.

All in all, pretty damn manly weekend.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonick
Friday night went over to the gf's and f-cked her silly. Three times for me that night. Eight for her (though she says she lost count halfway through).

So who else knows he's lying?

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
So who else knows he's lying?

lol, believe what you guys want, it's the interwebz and I'm sticking with that.

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nothing today but got into a battle of wits with the 4yr old. Sad to say I feel as though I might have lost.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Canuker
Nothing today but got into a battle of wits with the 4yr old. Sad to say I feel as though I might have lost.

Don't try to reason with a four year old. Their brain has not developed a complex enough neural network yet, due to incomplete mylenation at that age. Just smack the blighters.

Lady Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Canuker

You did, but it's ok because we both did
boxing[1].gif

Don't try to reason with a four year old. Their brain has not developed a complex enough neural network yet, due to incomplete mylenation at that age. Just smack the blighters.

Hmmm you should consider giving kids more credit, their minds aren't all junked up like ours and simple is usually better in a battle of wits.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VMan
Ironed some shirts and sewed a cuff button back on

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads