• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AA's "Nylon Taffeta"...waterproof?

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone know if American Apparel's Nylon Taffeta windbreaker/zippy jackets are reasonably water-resistant? I just got one to wear over a zip-hoodie, specifically for a little extra warmth or on a rare rainy day here. Will it suffice? Thanks!

Seanallen

Reaction score
Indeed waterproof, but you will get no warmth from it, its pretty thin but not thin in a way that it will rip easily. Also the zipper pull will prob fall off in about a 6 months of wearing it, but I still love mine.

Its more aimed as a jacket to wear on a rainy spring day or summer night.
I did wear it with a hoodie like you mentioned the other day to go out shoveling some snow during a storm, and it worked nice.

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, and LOL, the zipper is alittle on the cheap side! Do you think the jacket over a hoodie like you mentioned is 'accpetable' fashion? I tried it with an AA zip hoodie underneath this jacket http://store.americanapparel.net/n431.html And I think it looks good (hoodie hood is pulled out, over the jacket). I'll prolly start a thread on it just to get some opinions before I start wearing it out...LOL. It seems a little warmer too with both layers, but the hoodie is thin itself, so anything probably helps.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Certainly not water proof by any means, but decently water resistant for mild showers.. Don't expect gore-tex type performance out of it, especially for extended time periods. Also, it gets very clammy inside as well.
Certainly not a technological marvel... but they're cheap, basic, decent-looking wind breakers. I wouldn't expect anything more from thin nylon.

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by erdawe
Certainly not water proof by any means, but decently water resistant for mild showers.. Don't expect gore-tex type performance out of it, especially for extended time periods. Also, it gets very clammy inside as well.
Certainly not a technological marvel... but they're cheap, basic, decent-looking wind breakers. I wouldn't expect anything more from thin nylon.

That's what I expected, just wanted to make sure it wasn't a sponge or something
laugh.gif
. Should be good for golf over another zippy fleece, and over said hoodie when it's extra chilly.

Composer_1777

Reaction score
I was looking for a better quality wind breaker for the same purposes, but i haven't anything but bs or wierd designed parkas.

Seanallen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by erdawe
Certainly not water proof by any means, but decently water resistant for mild showers.. Don't expect gore-tex type performance out of it, especially for extended time periods. Also, it gets very clammy inside as well. Certainly not a technological marvel... but they're cheap, basic, decent-looking wind breakers. I wouldn't expect anything more from thin nylon.
I agree with you, I got the best use out of it when I was in Las Vegas and there were small showers.
Originally Posted by longskate88
Thanks, and LOL, the zipper is alittle on the cheap side! Do you think the jacket over a hoodie like you mentioned is 'accpetable' fashion? I tried it with an AA zip hoodie underneath this jacket http://store.americanapparel.net/n431.html And I think it looks good (hoodie hood is pulled out, over the jacket). I'll prolly start a thread on it just to get some opinions before I start wearing it out...LOL. It seems a little warmer too with both layers, but the hoodie is thin itself, so anything probably helps.
It would be a bit hard to pull off I think, I'm going to go try it out and see how it looks in the mirror.

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the offer Sean, I wouldn't mind seeing it. I have both pieces, and I think they look good together, but I was curious if there's some kind of 'rule' against that combination. Can't be worse than a blazer and a hoodie, that's for sure ; )

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So just to update, I wore the AA jacket out over my hoodie in the San Diego rain, and it worked like a charm. Had a couple long walks between classes in heavy rain, and my hoodie stayed completely dry, save for the hood.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads