• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Introduce me to hip hop

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My knowledge of hip hop is confined to the "basics" (The Chronic, Illmatic, some Snoop records) but I want to learn more. What is solid hip hop? I don't want any modern club bullshit like Kanye or 50 Cent.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wu-Tang
Nas - Illmatic
A Tribe Called Quest
NWA
Cannibal Ox
Tupac/Biggie (not my thing but others will say this)

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
A hip hop artist named Weird Al Yankovic is doing some real innovative stuff.
I almost went to a Weird Al concert once. I think that is the whitest thing in the world
frown.gif

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
what kind of hip hop do you like? mellow, soulful old school beats? or more modern, heavy use of synthesizers and drum machines? fast rap? funny one liners? good story rap? multisyllabic rhyme schemes that make you want to memorize lyrics? christian rap? -_-;

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like old school ****, early gangsta rap and some of the late 80's NWA type stuff.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
when I look at you, the first thing I think of is "gangsta rap"
I guess you didn't know about my rap persona, Lil' Sack. I also go by Drop 4.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
My knowledge of hip hop is confined to the "basics" (The Chronic, Illmatic, some Snoop records) but I want to learn more. What is solid hip hop? I don't want any modern club bullshit like Kanye or 50 Cent.

Big L
Gangstarr (Moment of Truth, a must)
Raekwon
AZ

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
for that old school sound i really like people under the stairs (stepfather is one of their better albums), Gangstarr (they have to compilation albums, i like the first one (full clip) better) is a safe choice. And who can forget Handsome Boy Modeling School's white people. if you like hip hop instrumentals I love DJ Shadow's Entroducing (first hip hop album I listened to when I was 12) and I love RJD2 first two albums (deadringer and since we last spoke).

for early gangster rap with that james brown/funk sound Ice Cube's AmeriKKKa's most wanted is pretty famous and public enemy's fear of a black planet is good (to be honest the genre's pretty played out as they all sound the same

and i think if there are any albums you should definitely listen to it's EPMD's strictly for business and Pharaoah Monch's Internal Affairs, and Big L's Lifestylez ov da dangerous and poor (or however you spell it)

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think if Big L were still alive, no one would care about him. He'd probably be some Dip Set loser.
inclined to neg rep, but obviously can't. I think Big L was the second best lyricist and even today nobody really touches him. and i thought of another "gangster" rap artist I like. Listen to Big Pun's Capital Punishment album (his compilation album's pretty good too).

scnupe7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also check out De La Soul, Pete Rock and C.L. Smooth, Main Source, Show Biz & A.G.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads