• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Designing a new suit - what details are you looking for?

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eHaberdasher
The Lucente model is slimmer all throughout than the Maestro - maybe a 1/2 size slimmer. Still has the higher armhole. I finally tried on a 40R RLBL today - my Lucente is not quite as slim - a 40R in RLBL is almost like a 38R in most brands - it seems you have to size up at least 1 to 2 sizes for RLBL. I found RLBL to be uncomfortable, frankly.

So looking at your sizing for the Maestro would a Lucente chest be about a 42 and the shoulders be about an 18?

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gradstudent78
So looking at your sizing for the Maestro would a Lucente chest be about a 42 and the shoulders be about an 18?

The chest is still close to a 43 (outside measurement across the chest), and the shoulders are just under 18". It's just a different, slimmer cut though. The armhole is a little bit smaller on the Lucente.

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kulata
Do you have any deals on your Versace suits?

Yes, the deal is $499.99 - that is our sale price. I think that's quite hard to beat. There is a free shipping code for SF members: SFFRSHIP (US orders only, minimum purchase $150).

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I must admit I've never actually tried on a RLBL suit - but I've seen and touched them and they look like they have a nice, slim cut. I have a feeling the Lucente may be more to your liking, but that model will not come in suit separates. Put it this way: I wear a 40R in both Maestro and Lucente; the Lucente fits me very well off the rack, requiring a nip at the waist, whereas for the Maestro I have to have the sides taken in a bit more. For the pants, the Maestro fits me perfection - only the hem, but the Lucente pants are a little snug and need to be let out because I have abnormally wide hips.

I hope that helps...

If you don't mind me asking, how wide are your hips? I might be in the same boat. I have 41'' hips and usually take a 40R suit

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
If you don't mind me asking, how wide are your hips? I might be in the same boat. I have 41'' hips and usually take a 40R suit

I actually have a 39" chest and 40.5" hips.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually have a 39" chest and 40.5" hips.

Do you think there is enough material to let them out to accomodate 41'' hips? Thank you for answering all my questions.

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Do you think there is enough material to let them out to accomodate 41'' hips? Thank you for answering all my questions.

You should be fine - there's 2" to let out in the waist.

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I'm not sure if I should start a new thread for this, but I'll at least begin here...

Here are a few pics of me in one of my Benjamin suits (navy shadowstripe in the Maestro model). While they're not flying off the shelves, we have sold well over a dozen of them. As you can see, this model does have a higher, more modern button stance, and a higher gorge lapel. This was intentional, and as others have stated before, may not be to every single persons liking. In a few months we will be introducing a lower button stance, slightly less fitted (armholes not quite as high) model. This model will be more classic in style - a bit more conservative, slightly more forgiving in fit, but of course will have all the features in a Benjamin suit (full canvas construction, and all the other details highlighted on our website).

All comments are welcome. FYI I'm wearing a 40R/50R. I'm actually a 39R so I had the blades and sides taken in, sleeves shortened, functional sleeve buttons put in, and just the hem on the pants. It's slightly full in the chest for me still.

benjamin_pose_navysuit1.jpg

benjamin_pose_navysuit2.jpg

benjamin_pose_navysuit3.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads