• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are vintage Burberry trenches easily altered?

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thinking of getting one off eBay and then altering it to make it more fitted, and perhaps a little shorter as well.

Has anyone else tried this before, or even just altered their standard Burberry trenches? Is this easy to do, or does the material/construction somehow make this difficult?

Would appreciate any input anyone could offer. Thanks!
bigstar[1].gif

babygreenspots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been wondering about this too. This seems like something it would be very difficult to have custom-made except at extremely high cost.

Making the sleeves longer would probably be impossible though. This would make it almost impossible for me.

Bird's One View

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I briefly had a Burberry whose sleeves had been lengthened. A strip of lining that didn't quite match the original sleeve lining had been added. From the outside it looked okay, although if you thought about it you realized there was a longer-than-normal distance from the wrist strap to the sleeve end.

I'd bet the alteration was done when the coat was new. You wouldn't want to try it if there were any wear on the cuffs.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bird's One View
I briefly had a Burberry whose sleeves had been lengthened. A strip of lining that didn't quite match the original sleeve lining had been added. From the outside it looked okay, although if you thought about it you realized there was a longer-than-normal distance from the wrist strap to the sleeve end. I'd bet the alteration was done when the coat was new. You wouldn't want to try it if there were any wear on the cuffs.
Would you foresee any problems with, say, taking th coat in at the seams? In other words, were there any construction (e.g. belt loops, pockets) that would have made taking the side seams in difficult?

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
Thinking of getting one off eBay and then altering it to make it more fitted, and perhaps a little shorter as well.

Burberry trenches come in a variety of length, so with some patience, chances are that you can snag something close to desired specs.

If properly sized, I wouldn't bother taking in the body in as they often come with belt. But if you really want having one altered, it shouldn't be any harder than taking in a jacket. Belt loops can be moved if necessary.

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with Whacked about the patience aspect and being able to find a deal. I have been searching here and on e-bay for one, and low and behold one shows up in a local consignment store for $99.99. It's the long double breasted version in brown with the wool warmer and looks like new. As I'm looking at it I notice it's missing the belt. I have them hold it until the next day and do some searching and determined something comparable new would be in the $1,200 range so I decide to get it. As I was paying for it I asked if they could take anything off since it was missin the belt, and they knocked $20.00 off.

Another thing is I would go by the fit and not necessarily the listed size. Mine is listed as a 42L and I am wearing a 46 suit now. The fit is excellent. If this would have been on E-Bay I wouldn't have looked at it because I would have assumed it was too small.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads