• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

French Foreign Legion

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
I can only relay things that were told to me by people on the canadian forces board. They're more picky for things like IntOps/officer. Anyway, i was never rejected, I just discontinued interest because I thought i'd run-up against resistance for the occupation that most interested me. Then I re-enrolled in classics to finish university. I still think about it on occasion cause it would be totally different from what I do now. The only thing is I would make far less money, and that would kinda suck.

I was refering to TyCoon.

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so the FFL likes to pull a bunch of **** stuff with each other? I'm really going to think about this

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TyCooN
so the FFL likes to pull a bunch of **** stuff with each other? I'm really going to think about this

I doubt any more so than regular military men. Just make sure you love group showers and juvenille pranks involving nudity and masterbation.

GreyFlannelMan

Reaction score
The officers in the FFL are all French; so forget about that. Perhaps you could make Caporal? It's a 5-year contract initially. Could be interesting...

the.chikor

Reaction score
Anyone know about the FFL? I can't find much about them.

They don't subscribe to the Geneva Convention-they don't take prisoners. They are very disciplined, well trained and a good unit.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Are you jewish?

I know one guy who went to the IDF from the US, and another who went from Germany. I've even heard of a convert (that is tough) moving to israel and joining. I mean, as far as training and being part of something truly elite, there may be no better place.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
Are you jewish?

I know one guy who went to the IDF from the US, and another who went from Germany. I've even heard of a convert (that is tough) moving to israel and joining. I mean, as far as training and being part of something truly elite, there may be no better place.

the chance of somebody who wasn't accepted in the US miliatary doing well in the IDF is pretty much zero. there is so much competition for the "good" spots in combat units that unless you are very motivated and pretty good you find yourself doing some kind of deskjob (or in a tank or artillary or soemthing like that).

the FFL takes crap and beats it onto shape - they'd make a man out of connie, if they had to. the IDF has enough human reseources for its combat needs - if you aren't top material they won't put the effort into making you combat ready.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
the chance of somebody who wasn't accepted in the US miliatary doing well in the IDF is pretty much zero. there is so much competition for the "good" spots in combat units that unless you are very motivated and pretty good you find yourself doing some kind of deskjob (or in a tank or artillary or soemthing like that).

the FFL takes crap and beats it onto shape - they'd make a man out of connie, if they had to. the IDF has enough human reseources for its combat needs - if you aren't top material they won't put the effort into making you combat ready.

I don't know I was trying to be helpful.
frown.gif

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wait the IDF accepts foreigners?

they have. very rarely with no expereince. I served with a guy who had been a major in the south african army, and started over as a private in the IDF for some reason, although he made it pretty rapidly back to being an officer.

fuego!

Reaction score
Just throwing this out there, I entered the Canadian Forces DEO after my first degree as an o.cdt. Anyone having any questions about the actual process as apposed to the bullshit on various forums. I have seen the ups and downs of the system as I parted from the CF due to an injury and had all kinds of red tape.

On Topic, when I did IAP there was some French African looking/sounding fellow on PAT platoon who had done an initial contract with the legion before transferring to the CF. I only got to talk to him for a few minutes twice a week but I was interested about it and he told me a few stories.

He said a few things...

1) Most of the rumors are not technically true and that you can't be a criminal and get accepted. There is some kind of screening process where you have to wait in Aubagne until it is completed and can be dumped at any time in the process.

2) You will be hit by your training staff. Not beaten but if you **** up you will probably get cuffed.

3) Basic training is very brutal. Do not apply unless you are already athletic.

4) You have to prepare your class A's/ Dress uniform in very meticulous manner. Said to Iron the various pleats in your dress shirt can take hours initially.

Wish I could have asked him more questions but he departed shortly after I arrived on PAT platoon.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fuego!
Just throwing this out there, I entered the Canadian Forces DEO after my first degree as an o.cdt. Anyone having any questions about the actual process as apposed to the bullshit on various forums. I have seen the ups and downs of the system as I parted from the CF due to an injury and had all kinds of red tape.

On Topic, when I did IAP there was some French African looking/sounding fellow on PAT platoon who had done an initial contract with the legion before transferring to the CF. I only got to talk to him for a few minutes twice a week but I was interested about it and he told me a few stories.

He said a few things...

1) Most of the rumors are not technically true and that you can't be a criminal and get accepted. There is some kind of screening process where you have to wait in Aubagne until it is completed and can be dumped at any time in the process.

2) You will be hit by your training staff. Not beaten but if you **** up you will probably get cuffed.

3) Basic training is very brutal. Do not apply unless you are already athletic.

4) You have to prepare your class A's/ Dress uniform in very meticulous manner. Said to Iron the various pleats in your dress shirt can take hours initially.

Wish I could have asked him more questions but he departed shortly after I arrived on PAT platoon.

So no mention of anal **** then?
smile.gif

fuego!

Reaction score
No sir, sorry to disappoint
laugh.gif

He was however taller then me at 6'1 and I seen him bench press over 300lbs.

However as I understand it from my limited knowledge, basic training and some deployments are pretty isolated and you have almost no leave. Sequestered with a group of very large muscular slavic and french african men...

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone find that the millitary accepts stupid people on a reguluar basis but rejects a slight medical case w/o question, sad.

fuego!

Reaction score
A healthy body is mandatory in the military.... intelligence a desirable trait.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics