• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
okay, there's something there but I'm not sure what. It's lavender, vanilla, birch tar... baby wipes...slightly dirty but not really fecal. Hmmm.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
Jicky EdT. Interesting and I like it. It will take a few wearings to get my bearings, but the as-of-today assessment (tried it last night, too) is that it is very similar to Mouchoir de Monsieur and they are close substitutes. There are definitely circumstances where I would prefer Jicky to MdM, but in most of those, I think I would just as soon reach for Chanel's Cuir de Russie. This is not fixed in stone, and I expect my opinion will continue to develop.
Again. View unchanged. I like it, but trying to think about when I would want it instead of MdM or Cuire de Russie. I have a partial answer, though. My wife noticed it this morning and said she liked it. She doesn't like Cuir de Russie very much (or to be precise, she doesn't like its opening, which is the best part; Jicky, or at least the EdT is tamer)
Originally Posted by Thomas
Jicky EdT today, and the opening reminds me of Caldey Island, but where Caldey goes asinic, Jicky adds the vanilla/birch tar. This is quite good but I haven't noticed the diaper note yet.
I get it in the beginning. It is definitely there.
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
T, The EdT is tamer than the EdP, but you SHOULD be getting the civet from the start, along with lavender and some muted citrus. You've already got the vanilla down there... but where is teh CIVET???? Maybe the molecules aren't vibrating yet this early in the morning.
smile.gif
Nevertheless, everybody's nose catches things differently and if you wear Jicky without getting the poop note... you are missing half the fun! (haha) Jicky haters, though, would say you are blessed!

Same. See above.
Damnit, I never get the poop notes. Not in Jicky, not in Kouros. What is wrong with me?!? Also...the question that really keeps me awake at night...Does this mean that I don't smell the poop note but everyone around me does? Or does the poop note just not bloom on my skin?
Try Chanel's Cuir de Russie. If you miss it there, then you are likely missing it everywhere. In the PP strength, it is really intense.
From how 99% of non-hardcore perfume-heads react to Jicky, Kouros, and the Civet monsters, I'd say it's a good bet others ARE getting the poop note and they just don't want to tell you. Another thing, though (which I've discussed before) is that Civet smells VERY different dependent on the scent and with what/how it is blended. It's a weird, foul-smelling chameleon. Sometimes, it smells sharp and sour (the "piss" note), sometimes dark and a little woody/smokey, and sometimes the babyshit/poop note. The Civet I get in Kouros and Rose Poivree, for example, is very different to my nose than the civet I get in Mouchoir, Jicky, or Cuir de Russie. That being said, even if you miss the poop notes, you are probably more attractive to kinky co-workers who like bad smells. You might have secret admirers without even knowing it... but I'm not sure they are the kind of admirers you want. They probably are the kind who buy used underwear on ebay.
frown.gif

The only piss/sour civet scent I am familiar with is Rose Poivree, and perhaps also Bandit. Edit: Just noticed that rach2jlc mentioned Rose Poivree, too. That means I am starting to put things in the right place. WooHoo!!

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
okay, there's something there but I'm not sure what. It's lavender, vanilla, birch tar... baby wipes...slightly dirty but not really fecal. Hmmm.
My family refused to acknowledge Chanel's Cuir de Russie as baby poop. They insist it smells like a Diaper Genie, but the artificial part. Or maybe baby wipes. That tells me that the scent engineers responsible for dealing with real baby poop are employing nasal jujitsu.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
That means I am starting to put things in the right place. WooHoo!!

Yes, but are you secretly attractive to your kinky coworkers? THIS is the important question.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've written this before, but I find the civet in Jicky EdT to be so muted as to be invisible, especially compared to Mouchoir or the EdP. To me the EdT is all sunshine and lavender and citrus and vanilla. Just a well-groomed Guerlinadey pleasantness all around. The EdP smelled like pee and crotchsweat and I couldn't wear it.

I always thought Kouros smelled like the bathroom at Plato's Retreat at about 4 AM on a Saturday night, circa 1979. Vileness poorly hidden by industrial cleansers. I've really wanted to learn to smell that one differently, and I've tried several times. No dice.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yes, but are you secretly attractive to your kinky coworkers? THIS is the important question.
I agree it is important, but the thing about secrets is that you don't know them. Feel free to investigate and let me know what you find out. I would appreciate your starting by telling me which of my co-workers are the kinky ones. That has all sorts of value.
Originally Posted by Baron
I've written this before, but I find the civet in Jicky EdT to be so muted as to be invisible, especially compared to Mouchoir or the EdP. To me the EdT is all sunshine and lavender and citrus and vanilla. Just a well-groomed Guerlinadey pleasantness all around. The EdP smelled like pee and crotchsweat and I couldn't wear it. . .
I agree for the most part, though I would say calling the Civet in Jicky EdT invisible is an overstatement. But it is dialed way down as compared to MdM (possibly the citrus opening in MdM also boosts your perception of the Civet; that wouldn't surprise me - it is almost like a breakaway where the Civet drafts behind the citrus leaving the peloton). Your descriptioon makes me think I would like the Jicky EdP better.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
I've written this before, but I find the civet in Jicky EdT to be so muted as to be invisible, especially compared to Mouchoir or the EdP. To me the EdT is all sunshine and lavender and citrus and vanilla. Just a well-groomed Guerlinadey pleasantness all around. The EdP smelled like pee and crotchsweat and I couldn't wear it.

I always thought Kouros smelled like the bathroom at Plato's Retreat at about 4 AM on a Saturday night, circa 1979. Vileness poorly hidden by industrial cleansers. I've really wanted to learn to smell that one differently, and I've tried several times. No dice.

I'm with you on the sunshine - this EdT smells like a clear blue sky. Maybe a bit of filth around the edges but not much more thus far.
frown.gif

oceans11

Reaction score
I purchased Bond Central Park over the weekend & am really liking it a lot.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Today: Tauer's L'Air du Desert Marocain. It's mainly cedar, with spices that fill out the cedar experience. Really good for winter. Might use up my sample this year and actually buy a bottle.

FlyingLotus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Euphoria today

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Donna Karan Black Cashmere (re-issue).

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^OOh, neat-o. I've been wanting to try some of her re-issues, especially the coveted CHAOS!

For me, it's Guerlain L'instant d'un etÃ
00a9.png
for me today. This is the version of L'instant that adds Lime to the top and cuts out some of the amber/patchouli base to make it easier for daywear and a little brighter.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ya, Mrs Dmax bought some for herself but I kind of like it too. I have Chaos planned for next week.
cheers.gif

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Today: Caron Pour un Homme for some Christmas shopping, errands, cooking, and an evening party.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads