• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mister Freedom by Sugar Cane (TOYO)

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Mister Freedom - The Second Chapter #1 One of our favorite lines here at Self Edge, Mister Freedom comes back with the second installment in the story of a Merchant Navy Sailor in the 1930's who had his clothes custom-made by the local Naval Base Tailor as he cruised around the world. The second chapter of this concept is he sailor's last cruise that took him to the cold waters of the Souther Indian Ocean, after serving ten years in the Navy. This Winter Collection, "The Last Cruise, Salty Years" focuses on extreme weather gear, custom Naval Tailor-made. Our Sailor had become an "old salt" (an experienced seaman) by then and his clothes were weathered and faded by sea water, sun and wear. Although non-regulation, a popular practice since the 1920's for Navy enlisted men, was toe have custom "LIBERTY CUFFS" and multicolored stitching added to their uniforms by local tailors. Sewn on the inside of the garment and invisible to the patrol officers, the fancy cuffs were rolled up and displayed while on shore leave. The sailor CPO denim shirt and forthcoming denim Pea Coat are "LIBERTY ISSUE", customized by the MFSC Naval Base Tailor, featuring a mermaid patch (also used as a secret money pocket) and hidden custom stitching in the form of a inner rainbow chainstitch. The collection also includes a Modified Type of jungle cloth Deck Jacket, a pair of Modified Type 7161 denim jeans, a wool/cotton sweater, a rain hat, and an undershirt. MF has also reissued the extremely popular chambray shirt from last season. We've done something a bit special again for this photo-shoot, modeled by Samuel de Goede, shot by Sidney Lo, then each main photograph was digitally processed by Ordo, also check the online store for hi-res shots of the rest of the details. The 7161md Jeans, Foul Weather Hat, CPO Overshirt, Chambray Shirt, and Mister Freedom T-Shirts are now available in-store and in our online store, these items are made in small runs and restocks are not available. Please check the online store product pages for far too much information on every single piece in the collection: http://www.selfedge.com/shop/index.p...index&cPath=74
MF_jeans_01-756365.jpg
MF_cpo_02-717408.jpg
MF_cpo_01-717307.jpg
MF_anchor_tee_01-739132.jpg
MF_anchor_tee_02-739194.jpg
MF_jeans_tee_01-717262.jpg
MF_peacoat_tee_01-777511.jpg
MF_peacoat_tee_02-1-717174.jpg
MF_bucket_01-777449.jpg
MF_ChambrayShirt_01-752159.jpg

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Mister Freedom - The Second Chapter #2

One of our favorite lines here at Self Edge, Mister Freedom comes back with the second installment in the story of a Merchant Navy Sailor in the 1930's who had his clothes custom-made by the local Naval Base Tailor as he cruised around the world.

The second chapter of this concept is the sailor's last cruise that took him to the cold waters of the Southern Indian Ocean, after serving ten years in the Navy.

This Winter Collection, "The Last Cruise, Salty Years" focuses on extreme weather gear, custom Naval Tailor-made.
Our Sailor had become an "old salt" (an experienced seaman) by then and his clothes were weathered and faded by sea water, sun and wear. Although non-regulation, a popular practice since the 1920's for Navy enlisted men, was to have custom "LIBERTY CUFFS" and multicolored stitching added to their uniforms by local tailors. Sewn on the inside of the garment and invisible to the patrol officers, the fancy cuffs were rolled up and displayed while on shore leave.
The sailor CPO denim shirt and denim Pea Coat are "LIBERTY ISSUE", customized by the MFSC Naval Base Tailor, featuring a mermaid patch (also used as a secret money pocket) and hidden custom stitching in the form of a inner rainbow chainstitch.
The collection also includes a Modified Type of jungle cloth Deck Jacket, a pair of Modified Type 7161 denim jeans, a wool/cotton sweater, a Denim CPO Overshirt, a Wool Watch Cap, a Denim Pea Coat, a Jungle Cloth and Chambray Rain Hat, and three different t-shirts. MF has also reissued the extremely popular chambray shirt from last season.

We've done something a bit special again for this photo-shoot, modeled by Samuel de Goede, Sidney Lo, and Haptronic, shot by Sidney Lo, then each main photograph was digitally processed by Ordo. Also, check the online store for hi-res shots of the rest of the details and a massive amount of information about each individual item.

The new Denim Pea Coat, Foul Weather Coat, Indigo Knit Sweater, and Wool Watch Cap are now available in the online store. Last week's release of the 7161md Jeans, Foul Weather Hat, CPO Overshirt, Chambray Shirt, and Mister Freedom T-Shirts are also now available in-store and in our online store, these items are made in small runs and restocks are not available. Please check the online store product pages for far too much information on every single piece in the collection:
http://www.selfedge.com/shop/index.p...index&cPath=74

Mister Freedom - The Second Chapter #2
MF_peacoat_02-1-732634.jpg

MF_peacoat_01-732563.jpg

MF_foulweather_01-727461.jpg

MF_sweater_01-727523.jpg

MF_beanie_01-788380.jpg

Mister Freedom - The Second Chapter #1
MF_jeans_01-756365.jpg

MF_cpo_02-717408.jpg

MF_cpo_01-717307.jpg

MF_jeans_tee_01-717262.jpg

MF_bucket_01-777449.jpg

MF_ChambrayShirt_01-752159.jpg

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting Christophe's latest offerings. The peacoat is a must have! I think I prefer last year's version of it.

fitzge22

Reaction score
any clue what wallet chain he is wearing in pics 2, 3, 4, and 5?

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After seeing pics on sufu, I love the design of the foul weather coat, but I'm not as fond of the fabric. I think I'd much rather have something in the sugarcane denim, like the pea coat. I'd only purchase it after trying it on in-store, though. I'll hope for one in stock when I'm in SF early next spring.

Any idea if Christophe plans to re-issue these next year?

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zissou
After seeing pics on sufu, I love the design of the foul weather coat, but I'm not as fond of the fabric. I think I'd much rather have something in the sugarcane denim, like the pea coat. I'd only purchase it after trying it on in-store, though. I'll hope for one in stock when I'm in SF early next spring.

Any idea if Christophe plans to re-issue these next year?

The chances of a reissue are slim... and i can guarantee it'll be sold out worldwide by the spring..

I doubt he'll be doing one in denim.. i think once you see the current version in person you'll love the fabric, it's a beautiful indigo dyed cotton and the wool lining equally nice..

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
About a month ago, I purchased a Mister Freedom pea coat from Self Edge and have been loving it ever since. I put up a few fit pics here, but I thought I'd share a few more pics on this thread. When I first got the coat, it fit well, thanks to good sizing advice from Kiya. But, I thought I could get a little more of a custom fit with an inch or so off the chest and sleeve length. So, a short, hot soak was in order. Soaking the coat proved to be a bit of a fiasco, but in the end it turned out well. I had a hard time mostly because of huge air bubbles trapped between the denim and the wool lining, so I had to place various pots and pans on top of the coat to keep it under water. I wound up hot soaking the coat for only 10 minutes, because sleeve length had shrunk an inch in less time than that. Not to mention, the coat, being made of Sugar Cane denim, made a sticky indigo mess everywhere. It took me some time and a fair amount of bleach to remove the indigo ring around my old clawfoot tub. Post-soaking, I hung the pea coat to dry in the shower. Once the dripping stopped, I put the damp coat on and wore it around the house for a bit to stretch it a little and form some creases. Then, I let it hang dry completely. Eagerly awaiting Christmas day
3192968866_5f10b878e8_o.jpg
Close up of denim, post soak. You can see the hairiness of the sugar cane fibers.
3192945006_f95a278491_o.jpg
All in all, I've been amazed with the quality of the materials, construction, fit... everything. In every picture I'd seen of the pea coat, it had the standard fouled-anchor buttons. Prior to receiving the coat, I had thought about calling History Preservation Assoc (Buzz Rickson) to inquire about purchasing ten 13-anchor pea coat buttons. Much to my surprise, the new Mister Freedom pea coats are made with the same buttons. Yet another nice touch! The only thing that surprised me was that there wasn't a jigger button on the inside of the coat. So, I found a vintage 13-star button and sewed it on myself, right behind the second button from the top on the left.
3192931268_1a277bb967_o.jpg
3192057933_70930e986e_o.jpg
At this point, I've worn the coat about a dozen times, and I'm getting some decent creasing inside the elbows. Not much in the way of fading yet, though. Has anyone else on SF bought any MF?? Reading through this thread, I noticed no one else had mentioned actually buying any of the pieces. Off to sufu for a cross post I suppose...

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not really my steez but the coat is a great piece and works really well for you. Every time one of these good workwear threads pop up, I just want to cop all of it haha.....

Crooow

Reaction score
Great post, zissou.

Definitely in for more pictures as you get more wear on it!

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
zissou, did the hot soak cause the shoulder area to shrink any?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics