• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Netbooks?

farfisa23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I travel a lot from work and want something smaller than the laptops I have now. All I do is check email, run google apps (gmail, goog docs, etc). I wish Apple still made a 12" G4 or something small, light and cheap, with a long battery life.

I want a netbook, any advice, does anyone have one? Linux or Windows? Magnetic hard drive or Soild state. I want it to be around 400 bucks or so too.

I was looking at this:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218028867515

Berticus

Reaction score
SSD is more expensive, but it's safer due to lack of moving parts. For OS, since it seems like you're doing more cloud computing, I would suggest Linux. Windows doesn't offer anything you need besides additional costs and the unnecessary Windows tax. Instead of Best Buy, I'd suggest buying it online at either Newegg or ZipZoomFly. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...d&Order=RATING Personally, I'm eyeing the Lenovo S10.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was seriously considering a Lenovo S10, which can be had for under $400. I ended up with a x61s instead because I wanted some thing a little more robust.

Mauby

Reaction score
Originally Posted by farfisa23
...I wish Apple still made a 12" G4 or something small, light and cheap, with a long battery life...

Just do what I did, pick up a 12" g4 used...I've had mine for 3 years, and it was 3 years old when I got it from the previous owner.

Optimas

Reaction score
I will probably buy either the Lenovo mentioned or one of the 10" Asus EEE machines fairly soon. I already have a 12" PowerBook – the best laptop format I've yet to come across, but they are rather heavy (2kg).

(I'm doing my best to postpone buying a netbook until after Macworld in January, just in case Apple should release something interesting; though I doubt they will.)

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm leaning towards the Dell Mini.....$444, includes an 8GB SSD......I use USB passport drives anyways....so don't matter to me about HD size....

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have an Eee 1000H, it's excellent.

Optimas

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xericx
I'm leaning towards the Dell Mini.....$444, includes an 8GB SSD......I use USB passport drives anyways....so don't matter to me about HD size....
Don't you find the 9" display a bit small? I've tried a few models, and 9" vs 10" seems to really make quite a significant difference.

bearlydavid

Reaction score
Acer Aspire One... If you compare it with the others, none of them come close in terms of cost and specs.

I have one and I love it.

dboll

Reaction score
I have the Asus 1000H, upgraded it with 320gb Hard Drive and 2GB of ram. I find it perfect for my uses. For surfing the web, word processing, listening to music, and the occasional other task it performs wonderfully. The 10" screen doesn't bother my eyes, you adjust quickly so soon any other screen looks huge. The keyboard and touchpad are both very good as well. But the best parts are the portability of the small size and the excellent battery life. Nothing like carrying a computer that feels smaller then a spiral notebook and has battery life to last 5+ hours.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've also been looking for one, but I've heard really good things about the Samsung NC-10, better battery life than the MSI Wind, Asus 1000h, slightly better hardware (screen, keyboard, audio, etc.), but the touchpad is a bit smaller than most people like it. I've also heard that Asus is coming out with a touch screen netbook next year and I think I'm going to wait on that as since it's pretty useful to be able to draw diagrams during lecture, which is the primary reason i need a netbook.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Good thread, I'm interested in buying one of these mini-pcs but haven't made a decision on which to buy. This thread is helpful.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Berticus
For OS, since it seems like you're doing more cloud computing, I would suggest Linux. Windows doesn't offer anything you need besides additional costs and the unnecessary Windows tax.

Scanned through those links (admittedly not looking all that carefully) I couldn't see any identical models with a choice between Linux and XP. How much is the typical Windows surcharge?

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this is a good thread, I've been thinking about switching over to a 10-13" notebook since i mostly use it for internet/office..

has anyone seen a review article comparing the current options?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads