• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Moving on from Levi's?

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a 15 year old guy and I've finally started to wear jeans and I've been wearing them pretty much everyday to school. My first pair was a cheap pair of jeans from H&M original jeans and my second pair was another cheap pair of jeans but a Levi's 569. My H&M ones are better fitting and they have like a slimmer cut and they are stiffer and I prefer those over the Levi's ones that are really soft and did not really fit well. So I'm looking for another pair of jeans right now... I'd like a slightly darker color, and I prefer slim/skinny type jeans. I plan to get a pair of Levi's 511 as another pair of cheap jeans since they seem to fit better than the 569 but i understand there's all this raw denim stuff. My waist is probably a 29/30 and the length is 32. I'm a complete newbie to denim... Help?
biggrin.gif
I also despise rips or tears or holes or whatever in my jeans unless I made them. Those look marsupialed.

whatuknowaboutthat

Reaction score
id say for now stick to the less expensive denim and the levi's 511 is a good choice. Or if you can find some jeans that are "sufu" or "SF" approved for a good price, go for that as well. The 569 is such a horrible cut, you need to get rid of it right away. The 511 or the 514 is a good choice and both come in raw versions and have potential to fade dece with wear. I actually have some 511's for sale brand new in your size

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks the raw 514 looks quite nice. From what I've read the 511 seems to give a slimmer fit so I'm probably looking at those.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with Levis, or H&M.

The H&M sliqs are dope, as are Levis 511's. The 514's are alright, but it sounds like 511's would work better .

robbie

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fortysomething
What are the differences between the 514s above and the tumbled rigid variety that has been mentioned earlier? Curious. Thanks.

Better quality control (some say better cut & fit - but I attribute this more to quality control) and genuine raw denim. They are red tabs, which are slightly better quality. I like the basic tumbled rigids too - but I think the raw 514s are a hidden treasure for people exploring the world of Levis and raw denim.

514s are slightly less fitted than 511s, though I don't think the difference is that much.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JustinW
Better quality control (some say better cut & fit - but I attribute this more to quality control) and genuine raw denim. They are red tabs, which are slightly better quality. I like the basic tumbled rigids too - but I think the raw 514s are a hidden treasure for people exploring the world of Levis and raw denim. 514s are slightly less fitted than 511s, though I don't think the difference is that much.
I think the thighs are slimmer, and the taper is greater in the 511. here is a side by side comparison
DSCN3127-1.jpg
DSCN2654-1.jpg
511's on the right 30x32 514's on the left 30x30

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
you're 15, buying expensive jeans you're going to grow out of is a waste. stick with levis.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^not entirely sure about that. a pair of APC's can be had for the price of two pairs of 511's (assuming that you buy them at the levi's store). if you size down the APC's less militantly than the done-with-growing SF/sufu crowd and avoid getting them hemmed, they should at least last for the rest of high school.

amnesiac

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wmmk
^^not entirely sure about that. a pair of APC's can be had for the price of two pairs of 511's (assuming that you buy them at the levi's store). if you size down the APC's less militantly than the done-with-growing SF/sufu crowd and avoid getting them hemmed, they should at least last for the rest of high school.

not if you hit your growth spurt, then the honeycombs will be all messed up. but really, i dunno how i feel about someone 15 spending over 100 on jeans, but that's just me. and this isn't to say that i didn't spend that on jeans when i was, say 16, but still. I personally love my 514 raws regardless of price because fit is almost the most important thing with jeans next to wearing them.

also, columbia much?

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dunno, I'm 15 and 6'1," and most of the men in my family are 5'11" to 6'3," so I figured that a major growth is probably in the cards for me.

And yeah, Columbia very, very, very much. It's almost(?) pathetic how much I'm obsessed with the place. Trying to keep myself from hoping too much. That ~8.7% is a daunting figure.

Anyway, I take it you're there now?

Johnathan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robbie
I think the thighs are slimmer, and the taper is greater in the 511.

here is a side by side comparison

DSCN3127-1.jpg
DSCN2654-1.jpg

511's on the right 30x32
514's on the left 30x30

Maybe I'm insane, but the 514's actually seem slimmer in this comparison. It's probably just the color, though.

dopamine

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wmmk
I dunno, I'm 15 and 6'1," and most of the men in my family are 5'11" to 6'3," so I figured that a major growth is probably in the cards for me. And yeah, Columbia very, very, very much. It's almost(?) pathetic how much I'm obsessed with the place. Trying to keep myself from hoping too much. That ~8.7% is a daunting figure. Anyway, I take it you're there now?
Don't worry about college admissions too much! The figure may be daunting, but you'll be happy whereever you end up, I guarantee it. I just went through the process myself about two years ago and got into the school I wanted to go to just fine, and the acceptance rate was even more daunting (Wharton Undergrad @ Penn, in case you're wondering). Regarding denim for the OP, a good place to start would be APC or Diesel imo. I'm a fan of APC's New Cure cut (I'm going to get a pair myself) and Diesel's Thanaz and Safado cuts for straight leg/taper. If you want to go a little higher in price, you can try Dior. Also, both this forum and www.honestforum.com are great sources of information for denim and sizing, so be sure to absorb all you can!

Eagle

Reaction score
It seems I've been wearing Levi 501 Originals, forever (though, there was a period of years that I steered away from wearing denim
frown.gif
!). I am considerably older than the originator of this thread but, think Levis are fine for most of us, certainly more affordable for a 15 year old than much of the designer denim offered at much higher prices!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads