• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Going childless in the U.S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by longskate88

Anyone go from NOT wanting kids in their younger days, to wanting them in their mid-life?

Yep. I wasn't vehemently against having kids when younger but I simply felt it wasn't for me. Then, into my 30's that started to change after my father passed way. I was 36 when my kid was born.

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Pretty sure rubbers are handed out like candy on Halloween already. And as far as "introducing" them at the various hand out offices? They should be mandatory before you get your first payment, and payments should stop if you become pregnant or father a baby. If you do that, you're obviously too stupid for society to continue to invest in you.

But again, I'm a radical right winger, thinking people should demonstrate their responsibility to the society helping them. Even crazier...the thought there should be consequences.

In a perfect world I would be a radical right winger also, but I think it's important to understand where people come from. I also think that if there were a bunch of even poorer children running around crime would sky-rocket. The quality of life is really dictated heavily on the lower class. What about like poor-person/stupid person hunting season? Where you get to shoot everyone that became pregnant but couldn't really afford children? That sounds like a win-win to me; taking care of society's problems while having a good time.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by randallr
In a perfect world I would be a radical right winger also, but I think it's important to understand where people come from. I also think that if there were a bunch of even poorer children running around crime would sky-rocket. The quality of life is really dictated heavily on the lower class.
+1. In a perfect world where I lived like Monty Burns, I think I could be a right winger. The hell with the poor until it affects me, then the right winger will be the first to scream about how worthless the Government was to let things get so bad. The cure? More prayer, return to family values and more tax cuts for me, me, me. Lock myself behind my mansion's gate and let the rest go to hell.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
In a perfect world I would be a radical right winger also, but I think it's important to understand where people come from. I also think that if there were a bunch of even poorer children running around crime would sky-rocket. The quality of life is really dictated heavily on the lower class. What about like poor-person/stupid person hunting season? Where you get to shoot everyone that became pregnant but couldn't really afford children? That sounds like a win-win to me; taking care of society's problems while having a good time.

This is why it's hard to seriously talk to people. School boy logic just really puts a damper on attempts at real conversation.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JoeWoah
+1. In a perfect world where I lived like Monty Burns, I think I could be a right winger. The hell with the poor until it affects me, then the right winger will be the first to scream about how worthless the Government was to let things get so bad. The cure? More prayer, return to family values and more tax cuts for me, me, me.

Can you just point out where anyone is saying to "hell with the poor" here? Please see above.

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is why it's hard to seriously talk to people. School boy logic just really puts a damper on attempts at real conversation.

Can you just point out where anyone is saying to "hell with the poor" here? Please see above.

I think all of your ideas would work in a vacuum, but not in actual practice. What do you think the lower-class will do when the upper-class impose these restrictions on them? No one would stand behind any of your ideas because it would be political suicide. Ron Paul.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I think all of your ideas would work in a vacuum, but not in actual practice. What do you think the lower-class will do when the upper-class impose these restrictions on them? No one would stand behind any of your ideas because it would be political suicide. Ron Paul.

You really think it's the "upper class" that impose restrictions?
crackup[1].gif

And you really think there are not already a plethora of restrictions? Go research the food stamp program, from the restrictions placed on it, to the secondary market to get cash from your allotment. It would be a good start to begin thinking on the whole transfer payment issue.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You really think it's the "upper class" that impose restrictions?
crackup[1].gif

And you really think there are not already a plethora of restrictions? Go research the food stamp program, from the restrictions placed on it, to the secondary market to get cash from your allotment. It would be a good start to begin thinking on the whole transfer payment issue.

Is there a country as right-wing as you'd like to see our country? Chile under Pinochet maybe? Saudi Arabia?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Who else is in office? C'mon.

Let's go right to the top. You think Obama is an upper?

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What was Bush? Most members of the Senate? Elected Republicans?

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Now he is. To pass any legislation he would need the support of other people, 95% of which are VERY well off to say the least. How would one go about implementing your proposal Pio? Could you see it working? Do you realize you are making a lot of assumptions?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JoeWoah
Is there a country as right-wing as you'd like to see our country? Chile under Pinochet maybe? Saudi Arabia?

rolleyes.gif

Yes, we give generous help to the poor. In return, we ask that they do not further shoot themselves in the foot. How ******* brutal is that?

So, you are a female, come from a working class family, and have three kids out of wedlock during your undergrad. Odds you're getting into a good law school and if you get in, you'll be one of the top performers? Or med school? Oh wait! People put off having kids until they get a few important life events completed, for the most part. Imagine, that we should be so "right wing" as to facilitate people making better choices, through the generosity of society!

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Harsh, man. There is a real argument in what he said...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads