• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wingtips and Longwings, Design Aesthetic

justsayno

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you like wingtips/longwings?

I don't get the look. Most wingtips are brogues and the punctures make the shoes look 'busy'. Then there is the dove and wing pattern that is slapped on the front of the shoe. To top it all off, a patterned brogue on the cap. There's so much going on!

Anyway, I hope to hear from the perspective from all you wingtip lovers. Why do you like your wingtips?
teacha.gif

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are very versatile. They can be both dressed down and up yet they are classic. I really need a good pair.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like wingtips, and have several styles in shoes and high lace boots. Most are double-soled in smooth or pebble/scotch grain shell cordovan. I find that the wingtip works very well for my love of a heavy, clunky shoe in the leather I like most, shell cordovan.

As stated by randallr, they are versatile for both dress and casual wear. I wear mine casually with cords, chinos, and such, as well as with suits.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by randallr
They are very versatile. They can be both dressed down and up yet they are classic. I really need a good pair.

Here you go.
teacha.gif

Wing-tips are great because they break up the lines of the shoe and create visual interest

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
C'mon, man. How can you not love these?
dsc0002wf7.jpg
dsc0125wg1.jpg

Just say yes!

RyJ Maduro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Right now, I've only a pair of conventional burgundy wingtips; I'd very much like a pair of longwings and a pair of austerity brogues.

justsayno

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
eh.gif

Looks like there are ants crawling all over the shoes!
lol8[1].gif

Originally Posted by Parker
C'mon, man. How can you not love these?
dsc0002wf7.jpg
dsc0125wg1.jpg

Just say yes!

Egdon Heath

Reaction score
Originally Posted by justsayno
I don't get the look. Most wingtips are brogues and the punctures make the shoes look 'busy'. Then there is the dove and wing pattern that is slapped on the front of the shoe. To top it all off, a patterned brogue on the cap. There's so much going on!
Why do you like your wingtips?
teacha.gif
For the reasons you just stated.​

yo!

Reaction score
I used to hate wingtips for all of the same reasons as you do. I thought that they were stupid, ugly, and over-the-top.

One day, for no reason at all, I started liking them. Now if I could I would own only wingtips.

Seriously, I really like wing tips.

Just not longwings. I do not enjoy those.

indy116

Reaction score
I like the looks of the longwing. Don' t own any, but I like em when I see em.

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let's talk about wingtip gunboats...What is it?... previous posts led me to believe a gunboat is a wing tip design as some are longwings...others are Budapesters

A traditional rounded Budapester...in a darker brown/cognac would look well mixed with Corduroy, and flannel trousers considering a wing tip's roots was that of a stylish country shoe.

free man

Reaction score
I like wingtips in suede, and I am actually looking for a pair right now. But regular brown or black leather, meh. I don't like the look nearly as much.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Michael Ay329
Let's talk about wingtip gunboats...What is it?... previous posts led me to believe a gunboat is a wing tip design as some are longwings...others are Budapesters

A traditional rounded Budapester...in a darker brown/cognac would look well mixed with Corduroy, and flannel trousers considering a wing tip's roots was that of a stylish country shoe.

Gunboats is a word to describe something heavy, sturdy, chunky looking. Traditional longwings are double-soled, fully brogued, and have a 360 welt often with heavy leathers like cordovan or scotch. People here just use the term to describe such shoes. Usually anything double-soled and 360-welted is referred to as chunky.

As far as questioning that essence, logic, or design of wingtips, you have to think about how shoes are constructed. Almost all of the oldest traditional shoes have a single layer of leather on the vamp, formed around a foot-shape, think of a simple monk strap or a wholecut. People wanted to find ways to make 2 layers at stress points, either as a way to actually double the leather layers, or to piece together smaller pieces of leather. In order to do this, you could either put a cap, like in a captoe, or use a wrap-around toe piece, like in a wingtip. You could leave off the "tip" part and probably have no effect on function, but it was deemed more attractive and has stayed as a tradition.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads