• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New waterproof leather boots stained my socks, is this normal?

stylemeup

Reaction score
After wearing some brand new waterproof leather boots for the first time , they left huge blue/blackish stain on my socks, and smaller blue/blackish stains in other areas.

I am upset about this - should I be? Is this normal? Does this indicate poor workmanship? Is this something that should be expected? Is this going to stop happening as I continue to wear the boots?

What has caused this to happen, exactly?

JGP.

Reaction score
I have experienced some of the color of the leather bleeding on my socks with almost every pair of boots I have owned. My Red Wing GT's still bleed redish-brown on my socks. But the color usually comes out in the wash, its not a huge deal...

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stylemeup
After wearing some brand new waterproof leather boots for the first time , they left huge blue/blackish stain on my socks, and smaller blue/blackish stains in other areas.

I am upset about this - should I be? Is this normal? Does this indicate poor workmanship? Is this something that should be expected? Is this going to stop happening as I continue to wear the boots?

What has caused this to happen, exactly?

Cheap boots may lead to this result.

But: never wear white socks/ light socks with dark shoes.

One problem also could be when the leather is wet for a long time.

stylemeup

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Golf_Nerd
But: never wear white socks/ light socks with dark shoes.

Do you mean this just in terms of style, or because white socks are guaranteed to get stained?

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you mean this just in terms of style, or because white socks are guaranteed to get stained?

Because of the style. The socks mediate between trousers and shoes. If the shoes are dark IMO the socks have to be nearly as dark as the shoes.

Marcus Brody

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Golf_Nerd
Because of the style. The socks mediate between trousers and shoes. If the shoes are dark IMO the socks have to be nearly as dark as the shoes.

I worry about it less with boots as you never see the socks anyway. If I'm going to be walking a long way, I'll sometimes wear athletic socks.

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My boot collection is mostly CJ stuff so from Coniston to Snowdon, never had a stain and I have used the Snowdons in very heavy snow and wet weather.

BABuckeye

Reaction score

My socks get discolored when I wear them with unlined shoes/boots (chukkas). Otherwise, my socks have only been discolored when the boots were very wet. Are your boots unlined or were they very wet?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads