• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cost of modifications/tailoring

Rayford Booth

Reaction score
I am interested to know the costs that people are paying for the tailoring if their clothes.

For example i pay 12$ a shirt at my tailors for off the rack shirts to be tailored to my size. Single modifications to a suits (jacket + pants) is usually around 40$ to 60$ maybe more if there is alot of work to be done.

What do you guys pay?

Thanks

spectre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jacket and pants tailoring sounds about normal, but you are getting a bargain at $12 for the shirts, considering tailoring to fit makes THE difference. I find with pants I am paying bit by bit - eg $20 for tapering, $12 for hemming, extra for cuffs etc. I've had shoulders taken in and for a good job that's $100 to $150.
If the cost is not outrageous it is the best money you can spend. If something doesn't fit properly it will look like crap no matter how expensive it was.

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My tailor seems reasonable. I pay 12.00 for a hem on pants, taking shirts in is @15-20 depending on if the sleeve is also adjusted, 35.00 to take a jacket in to fit slimmer and 50.00 for jacket sleeves with functional buttons.

Marcus Brody

Reaction score
My tailor charges $30 to take in a jacket if he can just do use the side seams, $50 if he has to do more reshaping using the back seem as well. He charges $30 for sleeve length adjustments. I've never had my current tailor do any hemming or reshaping of a shirt. If shirts were $12, though, I might start.

2Scoops

Reaction score
I've been paying about $50 to take in the suit jacket, about $10 for hemming.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm getting ripped off.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not sure if this helps but I just took an overcoat into a highly recommended tailor in Atlanta to get sleeves shortened (the coat was my grandfather's) and it will cost me $45.

YMMV

Mathew J

Reaction score
So how do they take in a shirt exactly? didn't even know that could be done and still look right.

Limniscate

Reaction score
$55 for shortening of jacket length
$45 to take in the waist
$20 to hem jeans and keep the original hem

justsayno

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
60 to take in the waist from the shoulder

sygyzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just curious, how do they shorten sleeves on a suit jacket? I have a PS suit jacket that needs to have its sleeves shortened but the nonfunctional button and button holes are close to the end. If they just cut off the end and sew it back up, the buttons will sit very close to the edge or barely off it.

Also, if I want a slimmer fit (ie taking in the sides), how do I explain that? Is it just one term "take in the jacket" or is it specific like take in the chest vs take in the waist?

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you guys have every shirt tailored? Even cheap 1mx shirts from express?

basis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dashaansafin
Do you guys have every shirt tailored? Even cheap 1mx shirts from express?

I have no choice. I have an 8" drop and very short arms. Nothing OTR is even close.

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whats an 8" drop again? And what do you say to the tailor to get shirts fitted?

zeitgeist

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Limniscate
$55 for shortening of jacket length
$45 to take in the waist
$20 to hem jeans and keep the original hem

You are getting ripped off or the tailor is God himself.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads