• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Denim 101 for Men's Clothing

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyplace in Boston to actually try this sort of denim on? Or do I have to go down to NYC. I'm interested in the heavy (21 0z) jeans made by Samurai and Sugar Cane, but I'd like to see how they will fit before committing $300 to a pair of jeans.

I also like the looks of those Rag & Bones, but I figure I can find them at Louis Boston or something.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DrZRM
Anyplace in Boston to actually try this sort of denim on? Or do I have to go down to NYC. I'm interested in the heavy (21 0z) jeans made by Samurai and Sugar Cane, but I'd like to see how they will fit before committing $300 to a pair of jeans.

I also like the looks of those Rag & Bones, but I figure I can find them at Louis Boston or something.

You can find the Rag & Bones at Barneys. Isn't Stel's in Boston?

mockingboy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
apc2yrsfr.jpg

What type of APCs are those?

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, Stel is on Newbury, what do they carry?

Originally Posted by Teger
You can find the Rag & Bones at Barneys. Isn't Stel's in Boston?

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
Yeah, Stel is on Newbury, what do they carry?

They have Nom De Guerre and I wouldn't be surprised if they had APC, Rag & Bone etc

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thurston
Okay then, what's the difference between the two Levi's in these links? Are either or both of these STF? I think I like the first, Dry Goods, better than the Brain Dead wash, but this whole thread has left me thinking that I have to question my judgement.

http://www.cultizm.com/product_info....501xx-LVC.html

http://www.cultizm.com/product_info....RAIN-DEAD.html

The second is not shrink to fit, it has touched water at least once through the processing. I would avoid them like the plague just due to the cheesy finish.

Originally Posted by mockingboy
What type of APCs are those?

APC English

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Here we go. Here are my jeans:
jeans2-vi.jpg
Here's a shot of the jeans+sportcoat look I sported today, but the jeans were so dark, I thought I'd give the closeup above too. Yes, I need to make the bed and put away the clothes. Thanks. Do your worst.
_MG_3087-vi.jpg

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
what jeans are those?

Do they look totally awful?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
Do they look totally awful?

I am not a fan of the outfit, but the jeans don't look terrible. I don't know how others do it, but I find it hard to say "awesome" or "utter crap" about jeans based on a photograph on the internet. There is really very little to go on. Like other pieces of clothing, you have a vague idea about silhouette, color, and sometimes (with the higher resolution pictures) texture, but not much else. I do dislike the outfit though. It looks (as is often the case) as if you had forgotten your odd trousers.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
I am not a fan of the outfit, but the jeans don't look terrible. I don't know how others do it, but I find it hard to say "awesome" or "utter crap" about jeans based on a photograph on the internet. There is really very little to go on. Like other pieces of clothing, you have a vague idea about silhouette, color, and sometimes (with the higher resolution pictures) texture, but not much else. I do dislike the outfit though. It looks (as is often the case) as if you had forgotten your odd trousers.
And here I thought I had "pulled off" the elusive jeans-with-sportcoat look.
frown.gif

I see what you're saying. For a casual social gathering on a Saturday afternoon, odd trousers would have elevated the outfit to a level of formality that wasn't called for.

Anyway, my wife said I looked good.
tounge.gif

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
They look ok. I wouldn't really wear jeans that stacked with a blazer and dressier shoes.

They also look kind of big at the crotch, but that could just be the photograph.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

There are no Rag&Bones at Louis anymore (they stopped carrying them a while back) but Louis does have Spurr (they had an entire alcove on the third floor devoted to them. Stel's has APC and Nom de Guerre. Jean Therapy (in the Commonwealth hotel) has Rag&Bone, Kicking Mule Workshop, and a few other brands besides. RRL can be found at Concepts in Cambridge, MA. Concepts also carries some other decent brands besides (look it up, I forget.) If you want something more escoteric, Alan Bilzerian carries (or carried) Kohzo, Drkshdw, etc... He is having a 30-75% off sale right now (as every year, the discount depends on what season the piece was from), so you might want to check it out. Unlike every other store, Alan does not subscribe to the idea of "clearance." After the sale, pretty much everything goes back up to full price. On the other hand, very little does not go on sale.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
Here we go. Here are my jeans:

jeans2-vi.jpg

Here's a shot of the jeans+sportcoat look I sported today, but the jeans were so dark, I thought I'd give the closeup above too. Yes, I need to make the bed and put away the clothes. Thanks. Do your worst.

_MG_3087-vi.jpg

Don't listen to me. I'm a hipster doofus.

Really, though, the sportsjacket needs to be shorter... really, and it would have been better if you'd had shoes that were clearly to be worn with jeans. A suede or distressed leather chukka boot, for example, would have really elevated the look.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads