• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Speaker Cables?

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can someone just put Artisan Fan up to a double blind listening test and record it for Youtube? It should only take about 10 minutes. Someone in Atlanta?

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's AF's prerogative to use whatever cables he wants. When he starts using technical explanations to justify why his cables work or sound better, and those explanations are completely bogus, I'll point that out. This seems to be a general audiophile affliction: the need to technically justify their choices when it would be so much better and easier for them to just say they like how the cables perform in their system, and are happy with it.

It's the difference between saying, "I like this Kiton jacket because it feels good," versus "This Kiton jacket has superior fit because every part of it has been handstitched."

Having had many of these encounters with AF in the past, it's fairly predictable how it goes:

1. AF says he likes some audio thing.
2. Some people (not me) express disbelief or challenge his choices.
3. AF whips out some link or explanation that tries to explain why his choice is technically superior. This evidence is usually at odds with well-known and -established facts.
4. I point that out, and we go back and forth.
5. We eventually get annoyed with each other, and he accuses me of being a theory-hugging engineer, and I make fun of his consultant-speak.
6. Lather, rinse, repeat.

--Andre

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a few pages behind, but Belden 8718 the "shielded speaker cable" is designed for high voltage control and instrumentation purposes. You would use it for the controls on a crane or forklift for example. I have no idea how you would attach the ground to a speaker and amp connection though. The amp would have chassis ground internally and the speaker has no ground. How is that circuit going to ever work?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
It's AF's prerogative to use whatever cables he wants. When he starts using technical explanations to justify why his cables work or sound better, and those explanations are completely bogus, I'll point that out. This seems to be a general audiophile affliction: the need to technically justify their choices when it would be so much better and easier for them to just say they like how the cables perform in their system, and are happy with it.

It's the difference between saying, "I like this Kiton jacket because it feels good," versus "This Kiton jacket has superior fit because every part of it has been handstitched."

Having had many of these encounters with AF in the past, it's fairly predictable how it goes:

1. AF says he likes some audio thing.
2. Some people (not me) express disbelief or challenge his choices.
3. AF whips out some link or explanation that tries to explain why his choice is technically superior. This evidence is usually at odds with well-known and -established facts.
4. I point that out, and we go back and forth.
5. We eventually get annoyed with each other, and he accuses me of being a theory-hugging engineer, and I make fun of his consultant-speak.
6. Lather, rinse, repeat.

--Andre

When do the penises and tape measures come out?

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt

When you least expect it.

--Andre

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJmanbearpig
You've done time too?

Slanderforum is a harsh mistress.

--Andre

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just browsed through the 18 pages, because it was referred to in another thread. What a ride. I learned a few things (seriously -- thanks to the key participants), comtemplated, laughed, cried.

Ok, now back to the swordfight....

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Idiot, we already did that like 2 days ago in the ivy league thread. Where the **** were you and *********?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
Idiot, we already did that like 2 days ago in the ivy league thread. Where the **** were you and *********?
I'm a product of the public university system. I don't even read things having to do with you over edumacated *****.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a product of the public university system. I don't even read things having to do with you over edumacated *****.

YAY ******** is bigger!!! Or wait, did you go to UC Berkeley? **** son, that's like rich white kids pretending they're black. Doesn't count.

ms244

Reaction score
I'd like to mention that, as a degreed engineer, I am surprised that more audiophiles don't electrocute themselves. Especially given the half assed technical explanations given by the makers of the above said AC power cables.

Some people should read up on wikipedea what AC power, DACs, filters, shielding, and composition of copper and specifically what a dielectric is (and specifically the dielectric constant and what its used for and how its measured).

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
Can someone just put Artisan Fan up to a double blind listening test and record it for Youtube? It should only take about 10 minutes. Someone in Atlanta?

I guess that would require the someone to know what the **** a double blind listenting test is?

Rules me out, I think the sound from my circa 1986 Sony ghetto blaster is fantastic..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads