• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts on Ben Sherman Blazer...

Reaction score
Whats up,

New to the forum, but wondering if I could get your opinions. I kinda like this blazer, but I would like other thoughts. Its Grey Shale, two button, thin lapels. Attached are some pictures. Thanks!

L11512861.jpg

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I suspect I may be one of the biggest Ben Sherman aficionados on this forum. I own far too many BS ties, shirts and sport coats.

However, I have to say that this is not one of their best creations. It's going cheap right now on overstock.com but I really don't like the pattern, the colour or the cut.

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Something is just off about it.. and naturally its fused I assume.

heard546

Reaction score
Love the tie. The jacket would be ok without the pattern.

Originally Posted by miguelcairo1066
Whats up,

New to the forum, but wondering if I could get your opinions. I kinda like this blazer, but I would like other thoughts. Its Grey Shale, two button, thin lapels. Attached are some pictures. Thanks!

L11512861.jpg

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by miguelcairo1066
Haha, wow no one likes it?! What poor taste I must have haha!

It is pretty bad, but I suppose for $64.99 it's not a bad deal to keep you warm and looking semi-formal.

Perhaps if you posted more info about your own tastes, current wardrobe, budget and what you are looking for the good folks here can steer you in the right direction.

Reaction score
Hey thanks for the offer! I was looking for something to wear with jeans, sweater, button down. Only thing is, I never have a reason to wear a jacket... So I really have little reason to spend too much money on something I won't wear often. But I don't want an ugly jacket just because its cheap. My concern was the cut and quality of the garment, rather than the pattern. That I kind of liked.

My style is alot of polo style shirts, and button down shirts with sweaters. Jeans, or slacks when I can. I'm just bored with what I have and wanted to add something new. Didn't want to go with a navy jacket because I think they tend to look like they are missing the suit pants.

brlfvr

Reaction score
The pattern is actually close to a POW. It just looks weird in this shot. I think it's a good looking jacket for a casual sort of thing.

SlamMan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JustinW
I suspect I may be one of the biggest Ben Sherman aficionados on this forum. I own far too many BS ties, shirts and sport coats.

However, I have to say that this is not one of their best creations. It's going cheap right now on overstock.com but I really don't like the pattern, the colour or the cut.

How high are the arm holes on most BS coats?

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SlamMan
How high are the arm holes on most BS coats?

They vary massively! I have a Made in Portugal pure wool BS sports coat that is about as slim-fit as anything you will see from TaT or anywhere else. I have a Made in Turkey synthetic BS coat that is about as slim-fitting as an OTR RL. I had another BS that was like a sack-suit from Mens Warehouse. All were made within the last 5 or 6 years.

For me, that gray coat is a weird blend of more moddish streetwear (narrow lapel and reasonably fitted look) combined with the more staid and American conservative (length, 2 buttons and no ticket pocket).

I am curious to hear what alternative the good folk here in MC can come up with. I will be getting a TaT medium PoW 1 button in the next day or two to fill a very similar niche as the OP. I couldn't find anything close OTR, but I bet wise minds will soon chime in to this thread with some sage advice.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads