• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Henckels 10-piece Pro S knife set on sale for $175; Amazon wants $400

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why would you pay all that money for knives you'll never, ever use?

And a 10" from Henckles from any decent online retailer will not run you more than $100. You need that and a pairing knife, that's it. Don't buy a bunch of **** you don't need.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I have this set (about 15 years old now) and while they have held up OK, I have never loved them. They went dull fast and in my pre-stone days, I used one of those plastic dealies to sharpen them. Never worked. Then I got the Chef's Choice electric. It works, but takes a lot off the knives. I don't really care so much any more, I am just glad that I found the way to put an edge back on the suckers.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
Why would you pay all that money for knives you'll never, ever use?

And a 10" from Henckles from any decent online retailer will not run you more than $100. You need that and a pairing knife, that's it. Don't buy a bunch of **** you don't need.

I use a boning knife, a filet knife, a bread knife and a slicer all the time. I sometimes use a tourner knife. The little serrated tomato knife occasionally comes in handy.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
Why would you pay all that money for knives you'll never, ever use? And a 10" from Henckles from any decent online retailer will not run you more than $100. You need that and a pairing knife, that's it. Don't buy a bunch of **** you don't need.
Chef's knife: $100 Paring knife: $50 Block/magnetic bar/storage whathaveyou: $25 or more. Steel: $20 or more Total: $195, minimum If you use two of the knives in this set regularly, and a few intermittently, you'll still come out ahead. Why pay retail for a couple of knives when you can get a block, scissors, steel, the knives and some more knives for less? I'm not normally a fan of buying cookware and knives in sets, but this strikes me as common sense.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I have this set (about 15 years old now) and while they have held up OK, I have never loved them. They went dull fast and in my pre-stone days, I used one of those plastic dealies to sharpen them. Never worked. Then I got the Chef's Choice electric. It works, but takes a lot off the knives. I don't really care so much any more, I am just glad that I found the way to put an edge back on the suckers.

I wonder if you'd have liked them better if you'd started with a stone. The mention of the plastic dealie made me shiver.

I like the line better than you do. They meet my needs, and I don't worry so much if someone starts whacking away with them. But I'm a pretty casual cook.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a good deal. Compare: http://www.cutleryandmore.com/details.asp?SKU=6464 Looks a chef's knife & a steel & scissors & a bunch of small knives. Manton, I can sharpen a knife with a steel. No bread knife. Some days I cook like a housewife and do everything with the bread knife. Still a good deal. The Pro-S line is good stuff. Thanks for the link Doc.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No, that is a steel for realigning the edge. It does not sharpen the knife.

Does it matter, what it is called? It is used by chefs and once a year knives are sent to professional sharpening. Anyway.

I have the feeling, it is good, for what Doc has in mind about the knives.
smile.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
Does it matter, what it is called? It is used by chefs and once a year knives are sent to professional sharpening. Anyway.

I have the feeling, it is good, for what Doc has in mind about the knives.
smile.gif

It has a different function. It does not sharpen; it realigns the edge. This is useful and necessary, very often. But eventually the edge will wear down and the knife has to be sharpened. The steel can't do that. At least, it can't do it well.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It has a different function. It does not sharpen; it realigns the edge. This is useful and necessary, very often. But eventually the edge will wear down and the knife has to be sharpened. The steel can't do that. At least, it can't do it well.

I agree.

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have both Wusthof and Henckels and agree with Manton about the Henckels not staying sharp as long as other knives. Once sharpened the Henckels are great to use and they are quite durable (I did manage to nick my chef's knife though).

Wasn't someone going to do a stone tutorial here? I haven't bought one out of fear of ruining knives.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Between the two most widely available German brands, I prefer Wusthof.

I am a recent convert to the stone, and I can tell you, they do MUCH less damage to a knife than any electric or mechanical sharpener. I was intimidated by the thing for a long time, but I found that I got the hang of it quickly.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use a boning knife, a filet knife, a bread knife and a slicer all the time. I sometimes use a tourner knife. The little serrated tomato knife occasionally comes in handy.

I have not met a single chef to a line cook that has need for anything more than a pairing knife and a chef's knife. Yea, you'll need a bread knife and a slicer, but those are for very specific tasks.

I also don't understand the need for these tomato knives that tear them to shreds. Anyone with a sharp enough chefs knife can slice a tomato beautifully.

You really, really don't need much more. You can almost all your boning with a 4.5 inch pairing. If you want one of those flexible blades, get a cheap one.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads