• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Style psychologically altered by the bad economy

Joseph K. Bank

Reaction score
I cannot help but to feel the effects of this economy on how I dress. It doesn't help that I have not been able to find financing for my business venture or for that matter have found a job after being out of work for so long. I have always felt that if I dressed for the position in life that I was striving for that it would be as if I already had one leg in the trousers of that lifestyle and it would be that much easier to reach certain sets of goals. I have even caught myself on occassion not placing newspaper in my shoes after I come home. It would be some comfort to know that I am not the only person with similar standards of conserative business dress who have found themself at this low point.

RJmanbearpig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joseph K. Bank
I cannot help but to feel the effects of this economy on how I dress. It doesn't help that I have not been able to find financing for my business venture or for that matter have found a job after being out of work for so long. I have always felt that if I dressed for the position in life that I was striving for that it would be as if I already had one leg in the trousers of that lifestyle and it would be that much easier to reach certain sets of goals. I have even caught myself on occassion not placing newspaper in my shoes after I come home. It would be some comfort to know that I am not the only person with similar standards of conserative business dress who have found themself at this low point.
'struth

ibleedwhite

Reaction score
Well the economy affects everyone man. So your feelings and situations are felt across the board. However, I also think that one doesn't need to spend money across the spectrum to look good.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think the economy really needs to affect how you dress. Basic, fashionable, men's style doesn't tend to change all that much... and you seem to be someone who has more than their bases covered already. It's not like you need to purchase a wardrobe, rather someone who's just building on what is already more than a solid foundation (or addition of the house, I don't really know).

You just need to hold. That's what I'm doing too. I'm not making any major purchases right now.

As for dressing in a recession, it's tradition to not overdress it extremely expensive clothing... but I just don't see that happening right now. I haven't heard of a backlash over doing so. This is a weak class war.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Didn't men's style hit its height during the Depression? Sort of a form of whistling in the dark?

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
JK Bank still exists?

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
JK Bank still exists?

A bored puppetmaster has dug deep into the trunk to find an old friend.

zarathustra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
A bored puppetmaster has dug deep into the trunk to find an old friend.

Haha. I wished I had an ip tracer on some of these posts. But the puppet master has probably thought of that already.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
"If you didn't shop at Krass Brothers, you was robbed!"

3396897_200X150.jpg

- B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads