• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

engagement ring buying advice

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DaveDr89
... RE your suggesetion, if one breaks up a total of 5k as 2k for rock and 3k for handwrought ring, isn't one really shortchaning the rock?

This is where it gets down to personal preferences. I think a nice setting to show off a smaller stone is better than a bigger stone in a bad setting. You just have to strike a balance that you are happy with.

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do they do any minimal designs? I looked at their websites and they do mostly very ornate designs, my girl prefers a very simple ring but I was looking to get away from the typical prong setting, maybe something like a half bezel with german simplicity.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by visionology
Do they do any minimal designs? I looked at their websites and they do mostly very ornate designs, my girl prefers a very simple ring but I was looking to get away from the typical prong setting, maybe something like a half bezel with german simplicity.

Leon Mege. I promise. He's good and he happens to prefer simple.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by visionology

Might be worth seeing who could do that for you locally.

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds good. At least I have a couple names now. Too bad I'm not a Giants Player, I would get free labor at Mege!

DaveDr89

Reaction score
So, from highest to lowest for apples to apples value, do we have:

Tiffany's or other "high experience" locales
Mall jewelers
Custom places like Leon Mege or VanCraeynest (previous link)
Online vendors
??

perhaps this isn't right question, as I assume the point is that the custom places can create quality that the mall jeweler cannot ...

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone considered uncertified diamonds? Certified diamonds are definitely priced at a premium, but if resale value is not a consideration and the stone is relatively small (<1.2ct), would they be worth a look?

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So, .. apples to apples .... perhaps this isn't right question, as I assume the point is that the custom places can create quality that the mall jeweler cannot ...

Yeh, I think you're looking at apple to carrots here .... or perhaps lemons to apples to avocados?

Are you looking for the total surprise wow-factor or are you consulting your target on rings? Do you have any idea of her jewelry tastes? Any clues what she might like?

DaveDr89

Reaction score
would be nice to have a large suprise factor, but I'll also gather some info over on her tastes and factor that in. No real clues at the moment as I've avoided the topic in the past LOL. The custom route seems appealing but I'd like to give it to her prior to Jan 1 so that doesn't seem doable.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
would be nice to have a large suprise factor, but I'll also gather some info over on her tastes and factor that in. No real clues at the moment as I've avoided the topic in the past LOL. The custom route seems appealing but I'd like to give it to her prior to Jan 1 so that doesn't seem doable.

Oh, that's quite a time limit. Most places won't be able to do it in time.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, from highest to lowest for apples to apples value, do we have: Tiffany's or other "high experience" locales Mall jewelers Custom places like Leon Mege or VanCraeynest (previous link) Online vendors ?? perhaps this isn't right question, as I assume the point is that the custom places can create quality that the mall jeweler cannot ...
You have to consider the stone, the settting and non-tangibles (buying experience, importance of recognizable brand name,etc. ) separately. Diamond stones are a commodity and you can get virtually identical stones from any places on your lists the only difference being the price you paid. Settings are a more of personal consideration. Some people really like the settings sold at high-end stores, some prefer something unique and custom made and some put no value on the setting at all.
Originally Posted by dah328
Has anyone considered uncertified diamonds? Certified diamonds are definitely priced at a premium, but if resale value is not a consideration and the stone is relatively small (<1.2ct), would they be worth a look?
I don't think it's worth it. The cost of certification, whether wholesalers or retailers are paying for it is very small (<$50 IMO). An uncerified stone, especially in 1.0-1.2ct size would be a red flag for me as the current industry practice, especially for online merchants, is to have every stone even as small as .3ct certified. 10-15 years ago diamonds below 1.0 ct did not normally get certified, but the practice is different now. Incidentally, I trust AGSL and GIA certifications the most, with EGL being one step behind and all other lab's certifications taken merely as suggestions.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The custom ring is a great idea but how do you surprise her with that? Do you just need her standard ring size?

I am going for a simulant at first and I just saw a palladium setting that I really liked with diamonds going around the ring. Not sure if it is technically pave, maybe a shared mounting? I was $1300 for the setting and $150 for the simulant.

Maybe I should just get a simple white gold solitaire with a CZ and then have the ring designed afterwards? We are trying to buy a house, so maybe it would be wise to stick with the $1500 setup and then do it up properly with a real diamond a few years from now.

EllaH

Reaction score
Online shopping is totally fine, but just like with shopping in person, you want to make sure you are dealing with a reputable source. You also want to make sure you any stone you are interested in comes with a GIA-certificate. They are the most reputable lab in the industry. Not only did GIA develop the 4 C's in the first place, but they are known for honesty and integrity in grading. Their reports are known for being the most accurate, as well. Hope this helps!

atila

Reaction score
Hi, I have a jewelry store in southern California and if anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to help (PM or post here).

I didn't really read through the thread other than this last page, but generally stay away from the malls/Jarrod/etc.

When shopping for a loose diamond, online you can get really competitive prices, however, finding an independent jeweler who you can trust and has a good eye might be your best bet.

At our store, there is two of us who buy the stones. We commonly buy diamonds with a lower clarity (SI1/SI2) that are CLEANER than diamonds with a higher grade (VS1/VS2). This is not unheard of, and really, it just boils down to having a good jeweler. This allows us to pass part of the savings onto our customers and everyone wins.

The thing about loose diamonds, they are all graded by people, and each diamond is graded by a different person. So although there are standards, when it comes to grading a diamond that might be on the fence, you can get two different grades from two different people.

Also, another good tip - EGL USA graded diamonds can be a great value and will be significantly cheaper than a GIA certified diamond. If you are to go the route of an EGL diamond, I would recommend having a jeweler you trust help you pick it out.

Like I said, I have not really read the thread but if anyone has any questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads