• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Doc Marten Boots In Style Anymore?

amnesiac

Reaction score
Does anyone know the specific differences between the soles?

there are MIC
-DMS
-DMC
-Flex-Link (I have a pair of grizzly FL sole docs, dunno what the real difference is)

the James/Percy have
-DMA

and the MIE reissues are
-VDM (vintage doc martens/original sole I assume)

just wondering. Maybe Get Smart, with his extensive collection and knowledge of all things DM could enlighten me as to the differences?

father's room

Reaction score
GS, which DM boots would you recommend from the website sale? I reallly like all the Dm you have on your pics even your white shoelaces.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amnesiac
Does anyone know the specific differences between the soles?

there are MIC
-DMS
-DMC
-Flex-Link (I have a pair of grizzly FL sole docs, dunno what the real difference is)

the James/Percy have
-DMA

and the MIE reissues are
-VDM (vintage doc martens/original sole I assume)

just wondering. Maybe Get Smart, with his extensive collection and knowledge of all things DM could enlighten me as to the differences?

tbh, I dont know what all the differences are. they all "seem" the same (PVC sole that is oil-petrol-alkali resistant)

Originally Posted by father's room
GS, which DM boots would you recommend from the website sale? I reallly like all the Dm you have on your pics even your white shoelaces.

I'm into the 'classics' like the 1460 8-eyelet boot, 1461 3-eyelet shoe and variations of such. if I had to make just one recommendation it'd be either the MIE 1460 boot (black or oxblood) or the James/Percy boot

kit99bar

Reaction score
how are these 65 shipped? Hopefully I'm just missing something. I see they are 110 x .7 = $75.

Originally Posted by Black Cherry
Couldn't pass this sale up, grabbed a pair of cherry red 1460s, made in china. Eventually decided that the extra money for the Made in England stamp wasn't worth it, on my budget. 65$ shipped is a ******* steal considering how much I love my black MICs.

Ringo

Reaction score
GS, what are your thoughts on the MIE 1460 being corrected grain "Quilon" leather vs. the 1460 Flex being (uncorrected?) Nappa leather?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
for being corrected grain the 1460 MIE is fine. It's thick and stiffer than the smooth MIC leather used. It takes polish well, shines well and easy to antique and get more depth out of the oxblood color (black just stays black).

Their full grain leathers are def a bit nicer....the ones I've seen are buttery soft and the "Trend Concept" uses Excel leather which I'm assuming is like the Red Wing Chrom-Excel as it feels very similar to me. One of my pairs is a dark oxblood ruboff with the bulldog sole and it's made of full grain leather, very very soft compared to the regular 1460....doesnt need any break in as it felt comfortable from day 1

DM has so many options and variations now that I def cannot keep up with what they're all offering

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
I have a serious question: how do you avoid the stigma/associations with wearing Doc Martins? I assume (hope) that most of these people aren't idealistic nationalist skinheads who espouse ideas of racial purity, but that's what people think when they see gingham, tight jeans high cuffed and doc martins.

Get Smart do you think it's different becuase you're asian?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
^^ to answer Teger...slight thread tangent... I relish the stigma that the Doc Marten bootboy look gets. It's actually weird for me to see normals wearing Docs in a skinhead way with the rolled boots, contrast laces etc. There was the saying "hated and proud" and there's a lot of truth in that. But let's just say that I find the idea of leftwing-liberal oriented skinheads to be an odd thing. If there was one defining aspect that all skins would have in common is leaning towards the right/nationalistic (nationalist doesnt mean racist). Docs are definitely THE MOST iconic footwear with a lot of history behind it, and thus something good to be aware of. But they're also super comfortable and look great (subjective, yes) so they've had their place outside of skinhead circles, tho that is the cross the brand will always have to bear. being asian (or black, white, brown whatever) is an irrelevant point for guys who are the real deal. I have friends who (lovingly) call me a rice traitor because I married a white chick.
laugh.gif
hail victory...j/k, kinda, yea i am **to reiterate, this is all from my PoV...you ask 10 other "skinheads" and you get different opinions (I dont call myself a skinhead anymore anyways). but at least my perspective is coming from a guy who's been in the scene since the mid 80s, have hung out with all sorts, played in skinhead bands, and pretty much done and been thru everything that can be experienced, being in that scene. and most importantly all done pre-internet, the "skin-ternet" really made the scene lame with all the cyber warriors and internet tough guys there's a couple other guys on this forum that occasionally post who might have good opinons of their own on the subject, since they've been in the skin scene for a long time as well. tho i dont think any of us "claim" anymore, it's more of a relic of our past but there's a lot of aspects to the scene that carry over into retirement. like wearing docs, harringtons, gingham shirts, etc. so just sartorial ****, moreso than ideology

dave

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
I have a serious question: how do you avoid the stigma/associations with wearing Doc Martins?

You don't. you wear them with pride and let people think what they want. there's nothing you can or should want to do about that.

I guess that you may be able to tone down a pair of cherry reds by keeping the black laces and going cuffless, but to me that misses then point altogether. Most (non-skin) people I have encountered though, only associate red docs with white laces with skins. the rest can be worn by any chump.

As for me, I polish 'em till i can see my face. I keep my laces white and bright and my jeans cuffed so you can see 'em.

amnesiac

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Black Cherry
http://www.dmusastore.com/p-2052-1460.aspx

I think you're looking at the "women's" cherry reds, which are 110$ for some inexplicable reason.

But if you look here
$110 1460 MIC DMC

and compare to

$100 1460 MIC DMS

They're both men's with black smooth leather, but there's a $10 difference for the different sole, whatever that means. I'd really like to know the difference, and the website offers no help, and neither does that crappy pic for the dms sole.

Black Cherry

Reaction score
Weird. You'd think if it costs more, the 110$ ones would at least have a pic of the sole, the only apparent difference, aside from being offered in a smaller range of sizes.

reprehensible

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dave
I guess that you may be able to tone down a pair of cherry reds by keeping the black laces and going cuffless, but to me that misses then point altogether.

Well, some of us just want a pair of shiny dark red boots, you know?

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
woodywoodson;1515345 said:
Get Smart, you just cost me $97.50.[/QUOTE

Me too. Man, I couldn't pass that up.

It was tough deciding between the 8-eye and 10-eye. As a yute, I always liked the tall profile of the 10-eyes. But I'm not rocking any big cuffs these days - and I'm sure as hell not wearing them with plaid shorts anymore, so I figured that I might as well save myself the extra two eyelets to lace. I got the 1460's.

Thanks for the tip!

CharlieAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
being asian (or black, white, brown whatever) is an irrelevant point for guys who are the real deal. I have friends who (lovingly) call me a rice traitor because I married a white chick.
laugh.gif

So... would you say you put the asian in caucasian?
rimshot.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads