• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brands that have INCREASED quality over time?

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
American automobiles. At least if you believe JD Powers and such.

I've been around for a while and my personal opinion is that the quality of American cars certainly has improved.

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by von Rothbart
Barneys New York started out as a discounter in Chelsea when Chelsea was a dump. Barneys went up scale & Chelsea gentrified when teh gheys started to move in in the early 80's.

And now they are moving the madison avenue store right back down the Chelsea...

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSN125
+1 on Coppley. You'd be shocked, they have made serious improvement...

What exactly have they done? I read the stuff on the website... but it's all over my head.

robasaurus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
What exactly have they done? I read the stuff on the website... but it's all over my head.

They completely overhauled their factory to streamline production. They were making both fused and half-canvas garments, but they've since ditched the fused product (which I believe was actually the bulk of what they were making) and they are now making half-canvas garments without a significant price increase. They've been refining their cuts as well. Over the last couple of seasons, every time my store has received the new Coppley MTM spec book, I've had to actually study it because it's so different from the previous season. It's leaps and bounds, really.

Eton still does that heavy, stiff fusible, by the way.

AnGeLiCbOrIs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd like to add Brooks Brothers to the list. The quality and has improved dramatically since it was purchased by Claudio Del Vecchio.

lexmann

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mathew J
Hyundai
Omega

Agree with you about Hyundai. I used to drive a Honda Accord. Now I drive a Hyundai Sonata 2009. It's assembled in the States. Very good quality indeed. I saw their Genesis at the dealer this morning when I brought my car for an oil change. Wow, what a beautiful car! I am so impressed by their craftmanship.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've known Paul Stuart since the mid-1950s. They were never down market.
At the time they carried their own models in Southwick Clothing. This was at least
the equivalent to the Brooks Bros "346" label, which for Brooks was the line just
below their "Own Make" range. I still have a Paul Stuart Tuxedo from 1965.
According to my tailor, a similar garment would run around $2000 today.
Hardly down market.

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
True dat. They were next to the Foundling Hospital down at 7th (6th?) and 17th St. I believe they maintained a presence there until the mid-90's.

Yup, they were at 7th between 16th & 17th. The whole store was sprawling space spread several inter-connected buildings that included the base of a pre-war co-op, several loft buildings and town houses. The space was quite charming with sky-lights in the top floors. The Chelsea and Madison Ave. flagships co-existed for several months before the Chelsea store was closed. I much preferred the downtown store. The only remaining ties to its birth place are the warehouse sale and Chelsea Passage.

When historians and urban planners look back at Chelsea, Barneys was the catalyst to Chelsea's transformation. It attracted teh gheys to the area to shop and then they decided to move in.

undarted

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AnGeLiCbOrIs
I'd like to add Brooks Brothers to the list. The quality and has improved dramatically since it was purchased by Claudio Del Vecchio.

I don't know who that is, but most of their men's line this year seems like a step closer to Jos A Bank.

AnGeLiCbOrIs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by undarted
I don't know who that is, but most of their men's line this year seems like a step closer to Jos A Bank.

You must not be shopping in Manhasset.
smile.gif

v0rtex

Reaction score
Balenciaga, Lanvin, Gucci... all went through a recent reinvention after a long decline in quality.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robasaurus
Eton still does that heavy, stiff fusible, by the way.

So, are you saying that they do both the softer collar and the heavier collar, or am I just imagining stuff about the collar being softer than what I recall?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads