• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite Christmas story

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
Bilblical, Fiction or Non. Mine is the Christmas Eve truce between German and British trench fighters in 1914. From what I understand of Christmas, that example is probably the most unadulterated expression I can think of. Putting down guns to walk across a No Man's Land (littered with bodies and ordnance--bodies they helped each other bury) and exchanging beer, cigarettes and names despite orders to kill on sight.

*I know I'll catch hell for posting a soft-underbelly topic but I'm going to leave it.

RJmanbearpig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Tailor of Gloucester. No More Twist!

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"5 Slain in Christmas Murder/Suicide" Authorities are trying to unravel the motive of a 27-year-old Virginia man who shot his mother on Christmas Day, drove to another up-scale Washington D.C. neighborhood and killed two men, a woman and a dog, before taking his own life.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^haha. yeah, heartwarming.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
" Christmas **** Alert in Manchester" Manchester police are concerned about people who drink large quantities of alcohol on a night out in the run up to Christmas and leave themselves vulnerable to crimes such as ****. Between April 1 and October 31, 526 rapes and attempted rapes were reported in Greater Manchester.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Man assaults father with Christmas tree" They say he then tried to use its steel base to strike him. His father and mother subdued him.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Family Shot in Christmas Carnage" Six people, likely three generations of a US family, were found dead at a rural property east of Seattle, and a law enforcement official said police arrested the property owner's daughter and her boyfriend.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Car Plows in to Christmas Parade" An elderly driver hurtled through barricades into a crowd lined up for a Christmas parade Monday and injured several people, some of them members of a Cub Scout troop, a city official and witnesses said.

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Magician
"Family Shot in Christmas Carnage"

Six people, likely three generations of a US family, were found dead at a rural property east of Seattle, and a law enforcement official said police arrested the property owner's daughter and her boyfriend.

That one is literally hitting close to home. What a horrible story. I know your posting to be funny (which is fine) but that situation was seriously fucked up. And, as mentioned before, **** you forever for ruining my Polly-Anna thread (in my defence, the first and last one).

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Here's a personal story:

It was my ninth Xmas. My father had just died in October, leaving us rather destitute, and my mother was having a hard time coping. I came into the kitchen to find her crying, about a week before Xmas. She couldn't afford any presents for us and was quite distraught. Just then, a knock on our kitchen door rang out. I opened the door, and peered out into the snowy evening, to find a local dignitary with a large box. It included presents for my little sister and me (the last two kids to live at home), a turkey, a carton of smokes (my mother's present I guess. Odd she always had money for those...), a scarves knitted for us by the church ladies.

True story. Now my sister is a Jesus freak, I don't believe in god, and my mother is almost 30 years older, still smokes, and I pay for things like her new flat screen and cataract surgery, while she tells me I'm stupid for not backing Obama and how much she hates Palin. Ain't life grand?

crackup[1].gif

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
Personal stories are good, I'd imagine a little harder to put out there also. Nice story.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
this deserves a gift. perhaps a fruitcake.

Originally Posted by Piobaire
Here's a personal story:

It was my ninth Xmas. My father had just died in October, leaving us rather destitute, and my mother was having a hard time coping. I came into the kitchen to find her crying, about a week before Xmas. She couldn't afford any presents for us and was quite distraught. Just then, a knock on our kitchen door rang out. I opened the door, and peered out into the snowy evening, to find a local dignitary with a large box. It included presents for my little sister and me (the last two kids to live at home), a turkey, a carton of smokes (my mother's present I guess. Odd she always had money for those...), a scarves knitted for us by the church ladies.

True story. Now my sister is a Jesus freak, I don't believe in god, and my mother is almost 30 years older, still smokes, and I pay for things like her new flat screen and cataract surgery, while she tells me I'm stupid for not backing Obama and how much she hates Palin. Ain't life grand?

crackup[1].gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
this deserves a gift. perhaps a fruitcake.

Please consider a gift that includes alcohol.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ a good fruitcake does. only good xmas gift i ever get from my mother-in-law is a white-iced irish fruitcake soaked in whiskey.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads