• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Going childless in the U.S.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Contrast that with some countries in eastern europe. This summer I was in a few countries including Czech Republic, Slovakia, and Hungary. I have never, ever seen so many strollers in my life.

jase12

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Cuz makin babies is fer perpetuatin da human race, playa. Ain't nuttin selfish bout it.

yep im sure thats what goes through everyones say when they are trying to have kids.

" honey, you know we really should start thinking about doing our part for the human race and making sure we don't get close to extinction.'

rather than

'aww babies are so cute i love you lets have one'

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Cuz makin babies is fer perpetuatin da human race, playa. Ain't nuttin selfish bout it.
Um, no. Not anymore.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am very happy having kids. I can understand why one might not want to have them. I ahve a few friends who don't, and don't plan on it.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
On an evolutionary, instinctive level, that's all it ever was. Besides, none of this affects you.
Whiny, snot-filled, shrieking children affect my sanity.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Been married 21 years and no children. Never any desire to have any.
My wife is more anti-child than I.
Actually it's not that she dislikes children so much as the dipshits who can't imagine that a woman wouldn't want to become a mommy.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Whiny, snot-filled, shrieking children affect my sanity.

+ 1,000,000,000,000

Every time I hear kids running down the hall in the shithole apartment I live in or screaming in the parking lot outside, it reinforces my desire not to have any.

AintDatRite

Reaction score
I come from a rather large family with 8 siblings; I nor my siblings followed in our parents footsteps, except one brother. I have one brother that has his own little herd of children. Two of my sisters have two children each. I guess I'm selfish; I decided long ago that I dont want the hassle of children. My brother made the same decision early in his marriage but he told his wife she could have children, IF she really wanted. He said he would be the 'perfect parent' in public but she would have to raise the kids. He said he would prefer to send them to a boarding school until they were 18. For those reasons, she made the decision to not have kids; when they divorced, she did have a daughter with her new husband and spoiled the hell out of that kid. Her daugher had a 1500 ft² 'life size' doll house in the backyard which most people might consider a guest house.... however, they built it as a playhouse for their daughter.

I tend to piss off a few people because I dont believe you should have children unless you can afford them. Parents should be able to afford to pay ALL of a child's expenses: medical/dental, education, clothing, food, etc.. I believe parents should have to pay 100% of the expenses of educating their children; I dont believe taxpayers should get stuck with the bill for educating other's children.

If you can't feed 'em, dont breed 'em™

In my opinion, a good minimum 'income' for a single person is $60K; a couple should earn a minimum of $90K. For the first child, add another $10K.... each additional child, add $30K. Therefore, most American couples cannot afford to have children... and shouldn't. Yeah yeah... children bring great joy and are worth every expense. blah blah blah. If you have to go into debt (ie: credit cards) to buy your children clothes.... you cant afford them (the clothes or the children).

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AintDatRite
I come from a rather large family with 8 siblings; I nor my siblings followed in our parents footsteps, except one brother. I have one brother that has his own little herd of children. Two of my sisters have two children each. I guess I'm selfish; I decided long ago that I dont want the hassle of children. My brother made the same decision early in his marriage but he told his wife she could have children, IF she really wanted. He said he would be the 'perfect parent' in public but she would have to raise the kids. He said he would prefer to send them to a boarding school until they were 18. For those reasons, she made the decision to not have kids; when they divorced, she did have a daughter with her new husband and spoiled the hell out of that kid. Her daugher had a 1500 ft² 'life size' doll house in the backyard which most people might consider a guest house.... however, they built it as a playhouse for their daughter.

I tend to piss off a few people because I dont believe you should have children unless you can afford them. Parents should be able to afford to pay ALL of a child's expenses: medical/dental, education, clothing, food, etc.. I believe parents should have to pay 100% of the expenses of educating their children; I dont believe taxpayers should get stuck with the bill for educating other's children.

If you can't feed 'em, dont breed 'emâ„¢

In my opinion, a good minimum 'income' for a single person is $60K; a couple should earn a minimum of $90K. For the first child, add another $10K.... each additional child, add $30K. Therefore, most American couples cannot afford to have children... and shouldn't. Yeah yeah... children bring great joy and are worth every expense. blah blah blah. If you have to go into debt (ie: credit cards) to buy your children clothes.... you cant afford them (the clothes or the children).

It can be enormously expensive to raise a child. I've heard the figure to be as high as 1 million if private school is intended and a good college education.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The problem is the tweedy graduate school types aren't having kids, and teh poores are. Not to mention teh illegals clinging to their anchor babies and religion.

We need to discourage low income people from having kids, and encourage high income people into having them. These are not political platforms that you can run on though
plain.gif

This board is overlooking a historic benefit of children, under the old social norms they would take care of you when you're old and senile (a reciprocation of when they took care of you when you were young and maleable).

Apparently there is a BabyBoomerang (or some stupid term) of old people moving back in with their 50 year old kids now that is about to sweep the country.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Late 30s, no kids. No plans to have them either. I'm the second youngest of 11 kids. Ain't nothing I don't know about kids. No need to have my own.

Read King Lear. I see it played out time and time IRL at work.

jase12

Reaction score
Originally Posted by crazyquik
The problem is the tweedy graduate school types aren't having kids, and teh poores are. Not to mention teh illegals clinging to their anchor babies and religion.

We need to discourage low income people from having kids, and encourage high income people into having them. These are not political platforms that you can run on though
plain.gif

This board is overlooking a historic benefit of children, under the old social norms they would take care of you when you're old and senile (a reciprocation of when they took care of you when you were young and maleable).

Apparently there is a BabyBoomerang (or some stupid term) of old people moving back in with their 50 year old kids now that is about to sweep the country.

has anyone here seen the movie Idiocracy? this guys gets frozen and wakes up like 2000 years later and is the smartest guy on earth, due to the fact that all the intelligent people were bred out. bit of a dumb movie but actually a really interesting concept.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jase12
has anyone here seen the movie Idiocracy? this guys gets frozen and wakes up like 2000 years later and is the smartest guy on earth, due to the fact that all the intelligent people were bred out. bit of a dumb movie but actually a really interesting concept.

It was pretty damn funny, too.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jase12

I really am not sure how much of a link there is between intelligence and genetics but typically more educated/affluent people have fewer (or no) kids compared with those who are less educated and/or poor.

Saw that movie. It sucked.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads