• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Going childless in the U.S.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I overheard some tweedy types at Starbucks today (prob. graduate students or professors) going on about the increasing numbers of childless couples in the U.S. One of the guys said that 1 in 5 women over 40 do not have any children.

This seems wrong to me. U.S. culture almost demands children. I do not know a lot of childless adults (although there are more than a few in my immediate family).

Thoughts on this? Do SFers come into contact regularly with 30 to 50 somethings without children?

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Didn't you say you'd never reproduce?

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
Didn't you say you'd never reproduce?
I don't particularly want to. I'm pretty sure that anything made with my seed would be a heartless monster.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I honestly don't think I know any adults 40+ voluntarily without kids. The one couple I know ended up adopting.

I'm considering not having any myself. Have to work on that idea with the fiancee.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Wouldn't, or couldn't?

You forgot shouldn't.
sly.gif

So, Conne, if you don't want kids, what are you on about?

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jumbie
I honestly don't think I know any adults 40+ voluntarily without kids. The one couple I know ended up adopting.

I'm considering not having any myself. Have to work on that idea with the fiancee.

You should have kids. They give you a reason to live.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're all spoiled left-wingers anyway so who cares.
wink.gif

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There were strong incentives to breed when 19 of 20 Americans lived on farms. Kids could feed chickens at 4 & after that, they more than paid their way to adulthood.

These days, there are strong financial incentives to not have kids. Probably it has never been more expensive to feed, clothe, amuse, and school children. Kids are very expensive, and the state will take them from you if you work them too hard before they are 14. So I'm not surprised if it's true that more and more people are having none.

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't understand marraige without kids. What other reason but popping out babies is there for maintaining committment to one parter for the rest of your life? I would not be able to keep it together without kids, nor would I really want to...

hamish5178

Reaction score
I have an aunt/uncle couple on both sides sans children. As well as a married god-father without kids. All are happily married. The 1 in 5 sounds right to me, but who knows (google).

Teh Style God

Reaction score
If only! The only thing worse than the economic state in the etats-unis is the youth's intellectual state.

God, what an unpleasant generation.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pennglock
I don't understand marraige without kids. What other reason but popping out babies is there for maintaining committment to one parter for the rest of your life? I would not be able to keep it together without kids, nor would I really want to...
Umm...love for another person? This is a weird statement Penn.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teh Style God
If only! The only thing worse than the economic state in the etats-unis is the youth's intellectual state. God, what an unpleasant generation.
I am sort of still a "youth" but don't worry, I am a genius.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
We decided not to have them for a number of reasons, most already covered.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads