• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ripped jean by the cuff...

Anamoly

Reaction score
Ok i turn up the back of my denim (5ep, KMWs) and since where they are turned up has creased and a ripped has occured.

FOr some reason i find this very unsettling. Does anyone have a nice fix for this? I feel like i should trash them but thats not happening with a 200 + pair of denim...

musicboohoo[1].gif

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
are you sure the legs are not too long? then they would wear out on the crease.
only solution is sew it up.

cldpsu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Anamoly
Ok i turn up the back of my denim (5ep, KMWs) and since where they are turned up has creased and a ripped has occured.

FOr some reason i find this very unsettling. Does anyone have a nice fix for this? I feel like i should trash them but thats not happening with a 200 + pair of denim...

musicboohoo[1].gif

Trash them? Stitch it up

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
been thinking this over, had a flash.
have your tailor sew all around from the outside. the seam would encompass the worn area.
then when you turn up the cuff the seam will be hidden inside the cuff.

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just thought about this as well.
I have a new pair of jeans which I want to cuff. My worry is, if I do so, it will probably wear through there sometime (or will it not? It's the efes sky, 21 ounce denim). Any way to prevent this?
Also, is there a way of making the cuff hold up better? Like ironing it in place?

arlee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Anamoly

thats what happens deal with it or don't cuff and get your jeans hemmed

Reaction score
it's just giving them a little character.

afaludi

Reaction score
sander, dont iron use a little spray starch on the cuff and let dry under a book to press. not really good for the denim but it works the best especially for weak denim

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jskidder
how about just not cuffing them. this serves 2 purposes: your pants wont rip AND you won't look like a douche...

like this one?
112108picfv0.jpg

well, he'll come over to talk to you about that:

112608piclu5.jpg

hamish5178

Reaction score
So your pants are so long that even cuffed they drag on the ground? Or are they just old and the crease where they're folded has worn through?

james nicolas

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sander
I just thought about this as well.
I have a new pair of jeans which I want to cuff. My worry is, if I do so, it will probably wear through there sometime (or will it not? It's the efes sky, 21 ounce denim). Any way to prevent this?
Also, is there a way of making the cuff hold up better? Like ironing it in place?

it'd take a crazy amount of wear to wear through that denim
in 6months a got a hole from my wallet, but the wallet has a corner and when i sit on it, it is under a lot more stress
the rest of the jeans are solid
i dont see a cuff under the same amount of stress as a wallet so you should be fine unless you're stepping on the hem or something

boo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sander

You can sew the cuff into place. Just take a needle and thread and stitch at the selvedge seam, and at the inside seam. It will stay in place, but not look unnatural.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics