• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
YSL Cinema for me today, Tom Ford's last fragrance project at YSL before he left in 2004. This one is a weird one... vanilla and woods in the base, but a dry flower and almond in the top notes. It's not exactly masculine, but hardly feminine either. It's a weird, subtle, woody, almost smokey and bitter fragrance that nevertheless is strangely compelling...

Shakermaker

Reaction score
Hi. I'm new to the fragrance game and I went out yesterday to pick up some samples to try. Today I'm wearing Bigarade Concentree by Frederic Malle which I picked up at Barneys. I like it very much so far. It's supposed to be a bitter orange scent which I get, however it also reminds me of gin and tonic....I find this interesting.

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shakermaker
Hi. I'm new to the fragrance game and I went out yesterday to pick up some samples to try. Today I'm wearing Bigarade Concentree by Frederic Malle which I picked up at Barneys. I like it very much so far. It's supposed to be a bitter orange scent which I get, however it also reminds me of gin and tonic....I find this interesting.

Funny review of Bigarade on Basenotes: "Cab driver eats an orange."
I own it as well and like it. Turns to a soft floral after a while on me, complete opposite of the opening whammy.

For me today - L'Artisan, Tea for Two, paired with a navy chalk stripe suit and a cold morning.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
I tried to remedy the error with an application of Derby, which is quite similar to Douro. So far, it is going o.k.

An observation about Douro/Derby: I have noticed that the Penhaligon's scents I use are non-temporal in that they tend to stay within a very narrow range from the moment you put them on until they fade away. Douro, for example always smells like Douro; same with Blenheim Bouquet. Derby goes through a phase, especially in the opening, where it is very much like Douro - I suspect that is the classic chypre accord - and then changes into something else, something more reminiscent of Habit Rouge and perhaps generic Guerlainish.

English Fern, while it stays within a narrow band, does shift a bit more than the pther two Penahaligon's scents I mentioned.

Today, Blemnhein Bouquet.

FlyingLotus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
CDG 2man today,
Love it - kinda sweet & woodsy.

unko

Reaction score
Gris Clair by Serge Lutens for me today

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Richard James EdT today. It's nice in a bland, Prince Charles kind of way. feh!

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Tom Ford White Patchouli again today. I've been sampling this one for about a week, and though I hate to use superlatives, it just might be the best patchouli-based scent I've ever smelled. I just wish it weren't so expensive.
frown.gif

FlyingLotus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Tom Ford White Patchouli again today. I've been sampling this one for about a week, and though I hate to use superlatives, it just might be the best patchouli-based scent I've ever smelled. I just wish it weren't so expensive.
frown.gif

I'm curious about that one, so far I have come to the conclusion I'm not a fan of patchouli.. but id still like to sample it as the other Tom Ford's I have tried are pretty incredible. I have to find new homes for my Euphoria, Ice Men, and Angel though as the patchouli makes me feel nauseous.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Malle's Angelique Sous la Pluie for an unseasonably warm December day. I could have left the jacket at home.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by designprofessor
Jo Malone's Pomegranate Noir mixed with Wild Fig /Cassis and a brown pinstripe suit
Hey, me too! Except, I layered the Malone with the musky HL EdC, giving it an interesting pomegranate/musk/lavender accord.
Originally Posted by Thomas
Malle's Angelique Sous la Pluie for an unseasonably warm December day. I could have left the jacket at home.
Never tried that Malle, but I've heard good things. I've got some Lipstick Rose coming in a swap... but I'm not sure what I'm getting myself into with that one (haha).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads