• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you think of this Gucci sports coat?

likeitaloud

Reaction score
1192.JPG
1191.JPG
1193.JPG
1194.JPG
1195.JPG
For some reason it really stands out for me, so lively I think it can look amazing if worn with the right clothing. If I had enough "spending money" I'd almost definably buy it.

aldica

Reaction score
It seems as if it would be difficult to choose shirt, pants and tie to wear with it. I know that the tie and shirt in the picture don't do anything for the coat. What is the material? Wool? Cashmere? Blend?

likeitaloud

Reaction score
it doesn't say aparently it's "fall and winter wool" whatever that means. I suspect its 100% wool though? Ebay auctions should really provide more info. But bright shirt and a bowtie? :p

Eccentric

Reaction score
Judging by the gorge and button stance, I'd say it's an older coat.

Rampart

Reaction score
Originally Posted by likeitaloud
it doesn't say aparently it's "fall and winter wool" whatever that means. I suspect its 100% wool though? Ebay auctions should really provide more info. But bright shirt and a bowtie? :p

A bow tie with it should work, I can see a proffessor pulling off this outfit.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hard to tell, but that "Made in Switzerland" picture of the coat hang label sure looks like a Zegna Made in Switzerland tag.

I hope you are not considering paying a bunch more for this Gucci than you would for a similar Zegna!

Osprey Guy

Reaction score
I think it's terrific! A beautiful coat. It does look like it was made quite a few seasons ago...but so what? As far as I'm concerned that just means that it's probably been made much better than something comparable today. I have a plaid Versace sport coat that is in some ways reminiscent of this plaid Gucci. It's gotta be 20 years old and everytime I wear it I am inundated with compliments!

The colors are certainly contemporary enough. With the right shirt and tie I think it could be a major hit!

The current shirt is barely OK...as in, it only just squeeks by... But I can imagine how the right tie could probably pull it together nicely (the color is OK...although with those lapels I think I would prefer to see a shirt with a somewhat larger collar). The tie that's on there now is absolutely horrendous!

IMHO.

Dennis

Osprey Guy

Reaction score
Hard to tell, but that "Made in Switzerland" picture of the coat hang label sure looks like a Zegna Made in Switzerland tag.
This makes perfect sense. Back in the day...the higher-end clothing from Gucci (and Versace) was indeed made by Zegna. I have a closet full of Zegna-made Versace suits and sport coats...most of it circa 1990...ish. Dennis

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nice coat. Not a big fan of the low gorge though.

babygreenspots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps the shirt and tie are compromising it in my eyes. I have a "made in switzerland" gucci velvet jacket that is very high quality. I think there is one factory in Switzerland that makes all the top level Zegna and also Gucci. I can't remember what the city is though. Zegna MTM available in China is made there and they are very careful to let everyone know. I've heard that much of YSL Rive Gauche is also made there.

Still, I prefer the wider, seventies-style, lapels that are most Gucci jackets.

babygreenspots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Osprey Guy
This makes perfect sense. Back in the day...the higher-end clothing from Gucci (and Versace) was indeed made by Zegna. I have a closet full of Zegna-made Versace suits and sport coats...most of it circa 1990...ish.

Dennis

My Swiss-made Gucci jacket is Tom Ford era - probably from 2002.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads