• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Concorde jets

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Did anybody fly on a Concorde before they were grounded? I was reading about them earlier tonight and I want to fly on one now.
frown.gif

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yes... very narrow and well appointed for back then.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My uncle flew on them frequently and told me about the curvature of the planet visible from the windows. That is so crazy.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Calling Jetblast! I think he mentioned he rode one just before they were grounded.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alter
Calling Jetblast! I think he mentioned he rode one just before they were grounded.

isn't he like 16 years old? I don't think that would have been a memorable ride for him.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
isn't he like 16 years old? I don't think that would have been a memorable ride for him.

thats not what he said about your mom.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you'll remember, the fleet was grounded after a crash several years ago. A few jets were then put back into service I think, and the first flight after the grounding, which resumed commercial transatlantic trips, was on September 11, 2001.

You may recall that it was overshadowed by some other news that day. . .

Subsequently the program was shut down due to a decrease in airline flight in general.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Mobutu Sese Seko used to charter the Concorde for shopping trips, and to ferry his hairdresser from NY to Africa.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
My uncle flew on them frequently and told me about the curvature of the planet visible from the windows. That is so crazy.

uhhhhhh that's nice but no different from any other plane. I am pretty sure you can see the curvature from like a mile above the surface, and the concord doesn't really fly higher than other transatlantic airliners anyway.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
uhhhhhh that's nice but no different from any other plane. I am pretty sure you can see the curvature from like a mile above the surface, and the concord doesn't really fly higher than other transatlantic airliners anyway.

The curvature is a lot more evident on a concorde. They flew at 56,000 ft. whereas normal transatlantic fly at 36,000 ft. The higher elevation actually caused concern for radiation issues.

jdcpa

Reaction score
I Agree with above, I read that the Concorde flew at around 55-60 thousand feet. A normal transatlantic airline flies at about 30-35.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alter

That is right. I rode in the cockpit jumpseat with my uncle serving as Flight Engineer. I don't remember a whole lot of it but the most memorable part of the experience was literally being pushed back into my seat when the afterburners kicked in. Concorde cruised around 56,000 feet most of the time, so the curvature of the earth was apparent.

Certainly a glorious aircraft, it's a shame she is no longer flying. It's still my favorite design in aerospace.

nate10184

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah definitely one of those things you have to do once in your lifetime regardless of cost. Unfortunately I was still in high school when they were grounded permanently so I'll never get the chance.

Was watching the movie Sabrina with my GF and Harrison Ford took a Concorde to Paris on a whim, made me wish I had gotten into the working world about 10 years earlier.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads