• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Denim 101 for Men's Clothing

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
+1 on your knee fades. you hemmed though, right? so no stacking

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
+1 on your knee fades. you hemmed though, right? so no stacking

Mafoo don't stack.

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Mafoo don't stack.

You should take some shots of the jeans lying on the ground and post them in the SW&D denim thread. The gradient of the fading is very natural and it has good symmetry (denim ~* geek *~).

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
apc2yrsfr.jpg

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ That pic makes me rethink my pissy NS attitude. In retrospect, I may have sized too far down making it a little too obvious where my nickname came from.

Loving my N&F Weird Guys. Great cut and colour

lefty

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, Iron Hearts are good, but I don't personally know much about then, the denim is very heavy (which can definitely be disconcerting to someone who has worn nothing but 11 oz Levis) and they' are very expensive.

Don't they retail around $300-400 range I believe? Maybe less. Yes they're very heavy but I heard that because of the weave (or another factor in the denim process) that they breathe pretty well fo their weight.

Wouldn't the most iGent jean be some sort of '47 501 repro? It's a timeless cut that people tirelessly try to reproduce with the most expensive possible fabrics and dyes, yet to the average person it looks almost indistinguishable from a $30 jean.

I would argue that the average person's opinion is unimportant on SF as they wouldn't be able to distinguish Allen Edmonds from Bostonions.

Originally Posted by Tarmac
Honestly, I don't believe iGents wear jeans. It would be like an iGent wearing sneakers. He just doesn't do it.

As far as Iron Hearts being the ultimate old-man jean, I don't think so. The fact that old men wear jeans once a week means whatever they get, they aren't going to fade much.

Regarding the heaviness of 634s, they are very soft and don't feel stiff or weighty. It's like a heavyweight sweatpant, almost. If you didn't know they were 21oz you would probably guess they are something like 16-17 on feel alone.

I just remember browsing the denim fades thread on SuFu and seeing a pair of Iron Hearts that were pretty much worn straight for I believe maybe 9 months and the fading was minimal, probably the same or less than Nudies/APCs in the first few weeks. I have considered the idea of purchasing Iron Hearts as literally a jean that will last forever and through almost anything (basically I have considered IH for travelling purposes).

At with such minimal wear, especially on the MC forum, I imagine that they would keep the undistressed look for years.

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ It's true that by the time my Gap jeans look like this, they are full of holes in all the wrong places. Lefty'd rename himself Chilly in my jeans.

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
how much do I need to size down in RRL jeans? Im a true 33, just measured with a tape measure.

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by randallr
how much do I need to size down in RRL jeans? Im a true 33, just measured with a tape measure.

Which fit? For Slim Boots, I'd size down one or go TTS. Same for slim fits. For Straight legs I'd size down 1-2.

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm actually a jean noob so I have no idea. I don't want them too tight, but I hate baggy. Would that be straight leg?

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
Yes, or a straight leg with a slight taper. Almost any of the RRL fits would work for you, depending on how you size them, although I think the Slim Boot might be the best. Can you try them on?

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would a Macy's or a Sak's have them in stock? I am willing to buy them online if someone could point me to a good site with a good return policy.

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
No, although you can find them at some Barneys (and CoOps), some Ralph Lauren stores and at RRL stand alone stores. We stock them, but I'm not sure what we have left. You can email [email protected] or call (703) 647-9856. Where do you live? I think Blake's in Portland stocks them too.

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by randallr
I'm actually a jean noob so I have no idea. I don't want them too tight, but I hate baggy. Would that be straight leg?

I go true to size on my RRLs. Check my WAYWTs to see if you like how that looks.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I suppose I'm more MC than SW&D but I wear jeans most days and have owned a LOT of them in the past few years - most everything high end that is available in a 38 waist. My recommendations (pay closer attention if you are big dude like me) all of which are mid-rise, straight leg:

Trim fit - Earnest Sewn 'Fulton'. The cut on these is unparalled. They are very flattering and look good with all manner of jackets. The denim is the weak point but if you buy a raw or one-wash version the quality is decent. These are also easily aquired at a significant discount.

Regular fit - Ironheart 634S. Expensive but worth every penny, these are probably the best clothing investment I've ever made. Don't let the 21oz thing scare you off, they are very comfortable at any temperature. I wear these 3x as much as all my other jeans combined.

Relaxed fit - Flat Head 3005. These are great because they have a modern fit in the top block and unlike most of the '47 repros they are relaxed but not too loose at the thigh and knee. Denim quality is awesome, with a super-soft and comfortable feel once they have been washed or soaked. They look and fit like sailor pants when they are new/raw but shrink to just the right dimensions afer the first hot soak or wash. They are the right jeans for fuller cut jackets and/or layering. They also have a big enough leg opening to balance chunkier boots.

Other notables:

RRL classic fit - very flattering cut, though the denim quality is not as good as their old Japanese-made jeans IMO.

5EP straight down - Denim quality and trims are unparalled. They fit a little slimmer on me than the ES Fulton and have a sort of vintage/rockabilly cut going on IMO. People that like 501's will probably love these.

Spurr Raw Classic - Nice denim and overall quality. They are a very relaxed fit though, at least they are in a size 38, with a higher rise than the other jeans on this list. These are a good option if you want something that fits looser than the Flat Head 3005.

I haven't tried KMW or Crate because they don't make them in a size 38. Been meaning to buy some Samurai S5000BK but haven't yet. I tried on a few pair of Jean Shop and thought they were nice but nothing really stood out about them for me.

MOST IMPORTANT - It is infinitely easier to buy jeans in person. If you get a chance to visit a shop like Self Edge, Blue in Green, Farinelli's etc. then try everything on and walk out with the pair that really fits you, even if they run $250-$300. It is a lot cheaper and easier that way. I definitely choked a bit on the price point the first time I bought a pair of Iron Heart, but they are probably the clothing purchase I least regret.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads