• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Denim 101 for Men's Clothing

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't Iron Hearts arguably be one of the best jeans for MC folk/people who don't wear denim often? I believe they are one of, if not, the hardest jeans to fade, they stay dark for a really long time, are very strong and durable, and have great quality?

To me that seems like a jean to invest in because you don't have to worry about it becoming too distressed or worry too much about wearing it apart too quickly. I believe A Harris has a pair and they look great.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
Wouldn't Iron Hearts arguably be one of the best jeans for MC folk/people who don't wear denim often? I believe they are one of, if not, the hardest jeans to fade, they stay dark for a really long time, are very strong and durable, and have great quality? To me that seems like a jean to invest in because you don't have to worry about it becoming too distressed or worry too much about wearing it apart too quickly. I believe A Harris has a pair and they look great.
Yes, Iron Hearts are good, but I don't personally know much about then, the denim is very heavy (which can definitely be disconcerting to someone who has worn nothing but 11 oz Levis) and they are very expensive. Edit: Another good brand for hard fading, solid, straight leg, buttery soft jeans would be "Spurr" jeans by Simon Spurr, previously of Ralph Lauren Black Label. They are $350+ though, but worth it.

petitnoblesse

Reaction score
Once I made the switch to better denim it is hard to go back. For me personally I would have a problem spending more than $200 on jeans. Between 5EP, Ernest, and Capital E Levis, I like the Capital E the best actually. The rise on the 5EP are a bit high for me (6'1, 210, 36X32).

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
mafoofan owns 45rpms which are some of the most expensive OTR jeans
teacha.gif
vox also has some flatheads

iammatt's been seen in ironhearts; aportnoy, t4phage, whoopee, and baron have the whole range
teacha.gif

But, have we come to a verdict on which one meets the much revered iGent threshold, which one doesn't?

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
If any of you guys are interested in learning more about denim and getting drunk, you should come to the Farinelli's Christmas party on December 20th at our Clarendon location. Free drinks, free food, some good discounts (and special deals) and lots of people to help you find a good fit.

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
iammatt's been seen in ironhearts; aportnoy, t4phage, whoopee, and baron have the whole range
teacha.gif
But, have we come to a verdict on which one meets the much revered iGent threshold, which one doesn't?

Wouldn't the most iGent jean be some sort of '47 501 repro? It's a timeless cut that people tirelessly try to reproduce with the most expensive possible fabrics and dyes, yet to the average person it looks almost indistinguishable from a $30 jean.

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
iGent- the Trad of SF
rimshot.gif

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
teacha.gif

Honestly, I don't believe iGents wear jeans. It would be like an iGent wearing sneakers. He just doesn't do it.

As far as Iron Hearts being the ultimate old-man jean, I don't think so. The fact that old men wear jeans once a week means whatever they get, they aren't going to fade much.

Regarding the heaviness of 634s, they are very soft and don't feel stiff or weighty. It's like a heavyweight sweatpant, almost. If you didn't know they were 21oz you would probably guess they are something like 16-17 on feel alone.

petitnoblesse

Reaction score
If any of you guys are interested in learning more about denim and getting drunk, you should come to the Farinelli's Christmas party on December 20th at our Clarendon location. Free drinks, free food, some good discounts (and special deals) and lots of people to help you find a good fit.

What is the address? I'm pretty close to there.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
Honestly, I don't believe iGents wear jeans. It would be like an iGent wearing sneakers. He just doesn't do it.

Had you beat there.
laugh.gif

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac

As far as Iron Hearts being the ultimate old-man jean, I don't think so. The fact that old men wear jeans once a week means whatever they get, they aren't going to fade much.

Regarding the heaviness of 634s, they are very soft and don't feel stiff or weighty. It's like a heavyweight sweatpant, almost. If you didn't know they were 21oz you would probably guess they are something like 16-17 on feel alone.

iGents wear dungarees on the weekends whilst examining the crop on their farm.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wouldn't the most iGent jean be some sort of '47 501 repro? It's a timeless cut that people tirelessly try to reproduce with the most expensive possible fabrics and dyes, yet to the average person it looks almost indistinguishable from a $30 jean.

+1. I covet 47 LVCs. On principle.

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
iGents wear dungarees on the weekends whilst examining the crop on their farm.

iGents wear their SuitBlazer(TM) whilst browsing ties at Barneys, with the expression one would have if one were examining one's crops.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
mafoofan owns 45rpms which are some of the most expensive OTR jeans
teacha.gif
vox also has some flatheads

Here they are:

naplesjeanss.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads