• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

D.C.-What's it like?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm in DC right now for a few days and have seen lots of StreetSense people. Are they homeless people, or do the proceeds support the homeless?

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Would I get shot and maimed if I went into SE D.C.?

I'd be sporting a sack suit and bowtie, natch.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara

There is SE and there is SE. Around the Capitol is one thing. Across the Anacostia ... well, I wouldn't if I were you.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I don't know the answer, but I learned a long time ago to never go in those parts, except around the Capitol.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Depends on your entourage.

You'd be safe with this one:

79493839.preview.jpg

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
I'm in DC right now for a few days and have seen lots of StreetSense people. Are they homeless people, or do the proceeds support the homeless?

Yes.

And agreed, about Anacostia. I was looking at a place just a couple blocks from RFK a few years back -- a gorgeous 2-br first-story condo on Oklahoma, right off East Cap, kind of between the stadium and the river, for just $1k/mo... but my girl didn't want to walk the four blocks home from the metro at night, and I didn't blame her at all. That said, you're pretty clear out until at least 11th or 12th street heading east from the Capitol.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My ideal location would probably be around Capitol Hill. But everyone tells me that is a nice area and full of young people.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really enjoyed my time in DC when I was on the Hill. In my experience it was a great place for college kids/recent grads etc. And the parties and receptions on the Hill with free food and drink are rad. Its always great when Taco Bell or KFC will throw a party and cater free booze with cheap Tacos or fried chicken. Then you get Congressmen and Senators shootin the **** with interns and staffers while stuffin themselves with junk food. Great stuff.

Also, Shelleys Back Room cigar lounge was an absolute gem in my experience.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
There is SE and there is SE.

Originally Posted by random-adam
And agreed, about Anacostia. I was looking at a place just a couple blocks from RFK a few years back -- a gorgeous 2-br first-story condo on Oklahoma, right off East Cap

I'll repeat something that I say often, using the quadrants to choose a place to live is just about useless.

As stated here, there are good and bad parts of SE.

Same with NE. My wife and I looked at a place not far into NE within walking distance of my work. The Metro Police website crime map showed a violent crime having occured on any potential route I would have to walk.

SW is tiny and has very little housing I think. But it can be violent too. Then again, Arena Stage is there and it's a really great theatre.

And NW is so huge you can get anything. It's easily 2/3 of the city if not 3/4.

Even neighborhood names can't help sometimes (except for the obvious).

b

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I live in upper NW and some old couple were murdered in their house over a robbery attempt a weekend or two ago. I think they lived in Chevy Chase (which is split between MD and DC). That's as rich as DC can get generally.

So that's DC for you. You can get mugged or run into sketchy people in the nicest areas. Just don't be punk and look after yourself.

Capitol hill area is actually a pretty nice, fun spot. I would hang out (and live) in that area is I had a reason to be nearby (like work or I was enrolled in Catholic U). Of course I am talking about a 6-8 block radius from the capitol. Further (on the NE side) isn't bad just inconvenient in my opinion. SE is where the bars and restraunts are (the Pennsylvania Ave strip) and has some apartments and decent townhouses.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How is the restaurant scene? I'm not big on ethnic food but I've read that most of the great stuff is based in the 'burbs.

Surely D.C. has a good number of high-end and "decent" dining spots?

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How is the restaurant scene? I'm not big on ethnic food but I've read that most of the great stuff is based in the 'burbs.

Surely D.C. has a good number of high-end and "decent" dining spots?

I will be the first to admit that my experience in high-class dining is sorely lacking.

That said, I went to Le Paradou a couple weeks back, and it was breathtakingly good.

You ought to have no trouble finding decent places to eat.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I live on The Hill and have for over 4 years. I personally think it's the best value neighborhood in the city. It's relatively inexpensive, populated by young and ambitious politicos (and young families as of late), it's quiet at the right times and you can get anywhere quickly. The only problem is that The Hill dies on the weekends, everyone goes to other neighborhoods.

If The Hill is your spot, I suggest not moving further east than Lincoln Park, further north than H St. NE and further south than the Marine Barracks (I St. SE). The area of Anacostia around the stadium is pretty good these days... if you're planning to move into one of the skyrises.

The issue with finding a place is that you need to be in town. The Hill tends to be competitive if you're going to be moving in with roommates. Whenever a roommate moves out, we never have fewer than 40 interested people. We show, interview and, if you make it past that, you get to take us out for happy hour to see how we all click. It was like that back when I was looking for a place too. If you don't want a roommate, you probably won't find a basement studio for under $1100.

My girlfriend lives in Adam's Morgan on 16 St. NW, near the Cuban and Polish Embassies. The area still has it's rough spots, especially since Columbia Heights (which is undergoing major gentrification) is only 2 blocks away, but it's cheap and vibrant... and really loud. There are tons of apartment buildings in the area, a studio is only about $900 if you can't deal with roommates, the metro is nearby and buses run every 15 mins.

It's a 24/7 neighborhood, so there is never a dull moment if you don't want their to be. You don't need a car either, there are 3 grocery stores, Target, Best Buy, etc... all within walking distance. If you do have a car, parking is a ***** between 8pm - 2am on the major nights.

Don't move to the suburbs, you will regret it! Move into the city first and then see if you can deal with the boredom and massive metro delays that is suburban life. You'll be working long hours, networking, going out, going to the gym and maybe taking classes at some point. There is something to be said about having your home near by when you need to make a quick change/nap... like a dorm. This city is never-never land.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would certainly make a few visits to D.C. before deciding where to live. But Capitol Hill sounds quite appealing.

Thanks for that writeup Joe, much appreciated.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would certainly make a few visits to D.C. before deciding where to live. But Capitol Hill sounds quite appealing.

Thanks for that writeup Joe, much appreciated.

No problem. Schedule a bunch of showings/interviews when you visit and try to allow yourself about a month; but the less time they have to make a decision, the less likely they are to dick you around. Also, make sure you find out how much the rent is of the total unit, new people tend to pay more than the rest of the roommates if they don't ask.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads