• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

engagement ring buying advice

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DaveDr89
that's what I am worried about ... my guess is that even if I study diamonds for say several weeks I will still lack the expertise to really know, similar to how it takes awhile to rate a good suit, etc. .... I suppose one solution would be to find a gemologist to help but that would be costly I suppose, or RE the measurements on things like the crown and pavillion are there guidelines that you can give so that within certain ranges I can avoid what you are talking about?

its really hard to just look at it and be able to tell if the proportions are right. most are not, but youll be able to tell by how beautiful it looks to you. if the diamond is spewing out beautiful colours, and showing great brilliance aswell you know its a good cut, and if it isnt you know it isnt. its that simple for you.(the buyer). go to a jeweller and look at a beautiful well cut stone, see how it looks and how beautifully the light gets diffracted through it and the colours coming out. then go shop and see how well the other diamonds you are looking at compare.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DaveDr89
that's what I am worried about ... my guess is that even if I study diamonds for say several weeks I will still lack the expertise to really know, similar to how it takes awhile to rate a good suit, etc. .... I suppose one solution would be to find a gemologist to help but that would be costly I suppose, or RE the measurements on things like the crown and pavillion are there guidelines that you can give so that within certain ranges I can avoid what you are talking about?

You're over thinking this. IMHO, just go with the 4 Cs, with emphasis on the cut. It may help to know a little more when it comes to choosing the best stone of a pair that have identical scores, but that seldom happens.

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I gather it's worth it to blow fifteen or twenty bucks on eBay and spend a bit of time on various internet sites learning how to use a loupe. At the very least, it'll make you harder to fool and they might take you a bit more seriously when you walk in the door.

The last time I bought diamonds was 2001 at the age of 21, though, so I speak from no actual experience. grain of salt.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
or you can marry someone who's not on the superficial side. it will not get better. the engaegment-ring buying process can be a harbinger.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by random-adam
I gather it's worth it to blow fifteen or twenty bucks on eBay and spend a bit of time on various internet sites learning how to use a loupe. At the very least, it'll make you harder to fool and they might take you a bit more seriously when you walk in the door.

The last time I bought diamonds was 2001 at the age of 21, though, so I speak from no actual experience. grain of salt.

they **** a brick sometimes when the average person brings a loupe with them.

One of my friends is a jeweler, and i've helped a few of my local friends buy jewelry.

On top of the 4'cs i think you should spend a good amount of time in reserch on pricing.

Once you know what you're buying, you should know how much is a reasonable price for it.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JustinW
You might also want to ask where the diamond comes from. If they say Canada they should be able to provide some documentation to the effect. If you get a vague 'the dealers get the best stones from Africa' you might be getting a 'blood diamond'. Given all the symbolism inherent in an engagement ring, you or your fiancee may not want it to be tainted like that.

My wedding band cost as much as the engagement ring WITHOUT the centre diamond, if that's any help to you.

Bah, in the context of the size of the industry blood diamonds are a small part. Even for those that are, documentation is easily obtained to show that they are conflict free.

K

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i hate this blood diamond ****. every gem comes from some kind of conflict. dont be fooled by the stupid hype. if you really care only by synthetics. and im sure 90% of people wouldnt even know how to hold the loupe right. good way to know if someone actually knows what they are doing if how they hold the loupe. it should be about an inch from your eye, and then the object you are looking at should be an inch away from your loupe. look around the stone, look at the facets, are they all hitting eachother at the points, are they hitting the girdle at the same areas etc. gives you a feel for the cut and quality.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Kwilk doesn't like it when West24 talks all serious and whatnot.

your mom

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by West24
i hate this blood diamond ****. every gem comes from some kind of conflict. dont be fooled by the stupid hype. if you really care only by synthetics. and im sure 90% of people wouldnt even know how to hold the loupe right. good way to know if someone actually knows what they are doing if how they hold the loupe. it should be about an inch from your eye, and then the object you are looking at should be an inch away from your loupe. look around the stone, look at the facets, are they all hitting eachother at the points, are they hitting the girdle at the same areas etc. gives you a feel for the cut and quality.

So what is your thought on lab created diamonds? Supposedly they are 100% diamond with all the characteristics of a very good - ideal cut at a fraction of the cost.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by visionology
So what is your thought on lab created diamonds? Supposedly they are 100% diamond with all the characteristics of a very good - ideal cut at a fraction of the cost.

the same way i feel about all synthetics. they are inexpensive substitutes to the real thing.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A very good friend of mine is a pretty big diamond wholesaler in my town.

He told me that there's something called "the Rapaport Report" ( Google it ) which reports diamond pricing trends.

He only deals in very good stuff, but last month was the first time in his memory ( let's say the last 10 years) that the price of gem quality diamonds actually went down some. They had been doing spectacularly well for the last 4 or 5 years though.

It's here., and is for people in the trade.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yea the rapaport is based out of ny city though and may not be accurate everywhere.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads