• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Speaker Cables?

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJmanbearpig
Should this be moved to Dumb Threads?

I think it deserves to be pinned as well.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
AF's expansive plug is making me feel inadequate. Am I the only one?

wow.gif
uhoh.gif
eek.gif
cry.gif

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh you've seen it too?

With a plug like that I don't understand why he's so hung up on the styrofoam cups, but to each his own. It's a wonder his outlets can take all that power.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
It's not the same. A power cord can influence the quality of AC power in both the recording and the playback. There are things in audio that are ridiculous hype but having clean power is not one of them.

Go to a local high end audio dealer and ask them to demonstrate a system with normal and high end power cords keeping everything else equal. You may be surprised what a good power cable can do.

I've demo'ed some by Russ Andrews, Isotek, and Clearer Audio.
Expensive Power Cables = Power cables treated under a pyramid = Power cables put in a freezer = no difference to freebie.

A man with a brain is not at the mercy of Artisan Fan.

Should this be moved to Dumb Threads?
Can we lock af in Dumb Threads?

Originally Posted by romafan
With a plug like that I don't understand why he's so hung up on the styrofoam cups, but to each his own. It's a wonder his outlets can take all that power.
They can't or haven't you noticed how quickly his fuses blow?

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
A man with a multi-thousand dollar power plug is a match for any man.

I've only spent around $300 for a Cardas Golden Reference I got at industry accomodation pricing.
teacha.gif

I think $1K+ power cords are ridiculous but some of them do make a difference. How much over the $200-300 is value added sonically I don't know.

I agree a lot of these prices are insane. Still I have to say that they can make a difference sonically. I'm not sure why T4 has not heard it.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Two words: Placebo. Effect.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
... Still I have to say that they can make a difference sonically. I'm not sure why T4 has not heard it.

Because I did not look when the power cables were changed. You should try it sometimes.

the truth

Reaction score
I've only spent around $300 for a Cardas Golden Reference I got at industry accomodation pricing.
teacha.gif

Did you pay for it up front?

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just realized you audio nuts are probably just making this **** up to confuse us. I could buy a set of Best Buy speakers and it would sound no different.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JetBlast
I just realized you audio nuts are probably just making this **** up to confuse us. I could buy a set of Best Buy speakers and it would sound no different.
Speakers are probably the easiest things to distinguish in audio, and make the biggest difference in a system. They are always exercises in compromise, no matter how much you pay for them (and there are some that cost more than many houses), so picking a speaker comes down to picking which compromises you're willing to live with. Cables, power cords, etc. are at best secondary effects. When you're building a system, you generally pick a speaker first and work backwards from there. --Andre

RJmanbearpig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can a power cord really affect sound quality? I mean, apart from the effect of not being plugged in.

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These threads wouldn't exist if people knew what power transformers and phased locked loops were.

The transformer that takes the high voltage AC to ultra low voltage DC completely synthesizes the DC power signal. Also, the DC pulse trains that digital circuits use exactly resembles, wait for it, the most awful, dirtiest AC signal possible. So how can supplying 'cleaner' AC power to a circuit that doesn't even run off of AC nor expects a sine wave alternating current possibly make a difference?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads