• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J.Crew Fall/Winter 08 Discussion

Ritchee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Clyde099
Are the waxed canvas duck boots warm enough for a Chicago winter?

I bought a pair today - I thought they were a good deal for 52 bucks. Right now I live in New Hampshire so I'll be able to put them to a New England winter test. But at the very least, they should do OK tramping through some mud.

whathup

Reaction score
Was the fleece funnel neck an online only item? I completely missed out on getting one during the sale.

TheDon

Reaction score
I have a question.

I bought a mens merino wool v neck sweater size M. i also bought a cotton cashmere crewneck size M.

The sleeves on the v neck are shorter than those on the crewneck.

Now i always have to keep the sleeves on the v neck rolled up cause they are too short to hang. Anyone know if it is just the material that makes it shorter or are all v necks shorter etc?

Meis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cottonadam
Can anyone clear up the sizing of Jcrew sweaters and shirts for me? I have a Gap sweater size small which fits me fine, but according to Jcrew sizing I'm a size medium. For reference I have a Flathead flannel size 40 and a Selfedge western shirt size medium which fit me as well. I'm also 5'7 155lbs.

Thanks in advance

I find that Jcrew's sizing is off. I too should be a small according to their size chart but I've found that I need to size down to an xs. I also have to size down w/ gap sweaters to an xs. So my recomendation would be to stick w/ the size small like you wear w/ gap.

ArliHawk`

Reaction score
It seems like JCrew's pricing is somewhat off, too. While the stuff is great, they are putting stuff on sale rather quickly. They are becoming similar to the Gap in that regard.

Tooch4321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ArliHawk`
It seems like JCrew's pricing is somewhat off, too. While the stuff is great, they are putting stuff on sale rather quickly. They are becoming similar to the Gap in that regard.

and this is a problem???

ArliHawk`

Reaction score
Not a problem for me at all. In fact, I rather like it.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys. Let's get some fit pics in this thread. I am expecting the arrival of my funnelneck within the next hour.

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ugh, I just bought a light blue and navy argyle V neck in Small at the B&S. The fit is OK, however the waist is a tad large for my tastes. Its not really worth a fix at the tailor for me unless its under 10 bucks. Anyone want to buy it?

Clyde099

Reaction score
I'm jealous Johnny_5. Post pics of the fit, please.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
So... I reordered the Spencer Jersey Shawl Collar Cardigan twice. I got a Large the first time--WAY too big. I'm a true Large, by all standard industry measurements. Second time, I ordered a Medium. There is a slight difference from the Large, but I mean it is slight, maybe slightly shorter sleeves, slightly less in the shoulders, but that's it.

Third time, ordered a small. Bingo. This one fits.

My advice on the big knit sweaters like this is this: Order at least one size down. The Small, based on my experience, is a "fits all" size. It appears to me to be made to fit--and look good--on anyone who's normally a Small to a Large. If you're normally in XL, you might want to go to the Medium.

It's very weird. I don't own any other Small sizes in anything. The only explanation I can think of is that it must have a lot to do with the material itself, that is, the knit wool, which will be bulky--and which also has a tendency to grow a bit.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
waywtfx0.jpg
funnelneck

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
I also bought a new camera, so I can get some pics of the shawl neck pullover and the heavy hoody up too. I also have the J Crew jeanos.

obiter dictum

Reaction score
Any tall/slim people here have any experience with their tall-large sizing? I'm 6'5", 187lbs, 41,7" chest, 35,4" waist. I'm conflicted, worried that medium will have too short sleeves and tall-large will fit like a tent. According to the j.crew size charts tall-large should fit me nicely, but the posts in here so far make me think it won't. I'm considering the peacoat, a thermal and a half-zip sweater.

Edit: I've never had problems with sleeve lengths before though, maybe I have stubby t-rex mutant arms? Just measured 21,7" armpit to hand.

erbs

Reaction score
That funnel neck is really nice- I should have kopped it when I had the chance. I do have the Spencer shawl-collar cardigan and the sherpa hoody on their way. I hope they work out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads