• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fur and leather from endangered species

PocketCircle

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Lately I started seeing more and more fur items and items made using leather from endangered species both in the WAYWRN and FS threads. Is being unethical IN nowadays or what?

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PocketCircle
Lately I started seeing more and more fur items and items made using leather from endangered species both in the WAYWRN and FS threads. Is being unethical IN nowadays or what?

Why is it unethical?

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What leathers are you referring to? Nothing I've seen here is on the endangered list and therefore illegal to sell in the US (unless they are domestically raised as noted below).

starcrash

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RunningBeagle
Why is it unethical?
Have you seen my beagle puppy fur lined overcoat? It's to die for.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I thought any trade in items made from endangered species was strictly illegal. Are you sure the species in question are in fact endangered? Could you cite some specific examples? Some species endangered in the wild are common enough in captivity or are farmed for hides and such, as are some crocodilian species.

hadamulletonce

Reaction score
Do you have any examples in the FS threads? I haven't come across anything like this.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by starcrash
Have you seen my beagle puppy fur lined overcoat? It's to die for.

They're not endangered, marsupial.

PocketCircle

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hadamulletonce
Do you have any examples in the FS threads? I haven't come across anything like this.

Turtle skin shoes? I saw this weeks ago in a thread which I can't find immediately.

Besides, for me wearing the fur/leather of any animal that is not killed for meat or didn't die in natural ways is completely unethical.

You should also take into consideration that some countries like China export leather/fur of certain species under different names and many brands buy them knowingly.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Turtle skin shoes? I saw this weeks ago in a thread which I can't find immediately.

Besides, for me wearing the fur/leather of any animal that is not killed for meat or didn't die in natural ways is completely unethical

Well in Japan, China (and maybe other countries) we eat turtle meat, so I guess it`s OK to kill them?

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have no issue with sustainable use of stable species, especially when bred for the purpose.

I have a massive issue with anything that threatens the long-term viability of a species. I don't think it's appropriate for humans to contribute to the extinction of something that nature, through the slow and delicate process of evolution, has brought into its current unique state.

In theory I would wear a coat made from Dalmation puppy hides. Dalmatians are easy to produce when compared to snow leopards.
devil.gif

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Besides, for me wearing the fur/leather of any animal that is not killed for meat or didn't die in natural ways is completely unethical.

So which one would you like this thread to be about?

PocketCircle

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RunningBeagle
So which one would you like this thread to be about?

Maybe you should make an intelligent contribution to the thread by explaining your thoughts instead of picking words and asking irrelevant questions.

PocketCircle

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dragon
Well in Japan, China (and maybe other countries) we eat turtle meat, so I guess it`s OK to kill them?

Maybe you shouldn't eat turtles, whales and other declining species?

Just because eating an animal is a tradition in some culture doesn't make eating it NOW right. The first large animal that became extinct in the last 50 years used to live in China.

RJmanbearpig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe you shouldn't eat turtles, whales and other declining species?

Just because eating an animal is a tradition in some culture doesn't make eating it NOW right. The first large animal that became extinct in the last 50 years used to live in China.

You're talking about that dolphin? They weren't eating it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads