• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best ties for a thick beautiful knot of soft silk?

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
7-fold? not-7 fold?
kiton, armani, brioni, zegna, hermes????

I like wearing a large knot & I am 6'1" - 6'2" so has to be long enough for nice knot and to drape properly on my body.

I picked up a beautiful armani tie last night - the silk was incredibly soft and thick pattern was very nice

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Stefano Ricci. A four-in-hand will look like a gorilla fist.

awxg

Reaction score
^ that

They are ridiculous slabs of tie meat.

I don't have any Kiton, Brioni, or Hermes so I don't know how they compare.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not nearly as chunky as mentioned above but Seaward and Stearn and Dion both make ties of thicker silks that tie up a fair-sized knot.

RJmanbearpig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
Not nearly as chunky as mentioned above but Seaward and Stearn and Dion both make ties of thicker silks that tie up a fair-sized knot.

Good idea. The OP needs to get some Seaman & Spearn around his neck.

djf881

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AvariceBespoke
7-fold? not-7 fold?
kiton, armani, brioni, zegna, hermes????

I like wearing a large knot & I am 6'1" - 6'2" so has to be long enough for nice knot and to drape properly on my body.

I picked up a beautiful armani tie last night - the silk was incredibly soft and thick pattern was very nice

I think Hermes are thin like Ferragamos. I have a couple of Ferragamo ties and they make a nice knot, but since the silk is thin, it doesn't tend to make a big knot. If you threw a double windsor or something into one of those, it would be pretty big, but I am not sure it would still be long enough, especially on a taller guy.

Borrelli makes seven-fold ties and when I put a half-windsor into one of those, it's substantially larger than the same knot in a Ferragamo.

I think there is someone who makes six-fold ties to order and posts on here. I have not bought his ties, but other posters really dug his stuff.

innova

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Stefano Ricci. A four-in-hand will look like a gorilla fist.

I went to Saks today with this quote in my head to find some ties. I wasn't able to find any Ricci, but was able to pick up a Brioni and a Behar. If anyone is wondering why people use a FIH knot, these ties will show you why. The difference is amazing and worth twice the price. I found myself tying FW's just to get some heft, but the FIH with some meat on the tie is fantastic. I think if I tried a FW with these I wouldn't be able to see over them.

Thanks to mafoofan.

tlmusic

Reaction score
Most English made ties will tie a nice thick knot. Turnbull and Asser is a good brand for that. Also Cravats of London and Harvie and Hudson.

Irrespective of brands, certain types of ties will likely tie thick knots:
Seven Fold Ties
Grenadine Ties
Woven Ties usually tie a fuller knot than printed silk ties.

Also, check out Charles Alexander, a SF member that makes limited edition runs of seven-fold ties.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tlmusic
Also, check out Charles Alexander, a SF member that makes limited edition runs of seven-fold ties.

+1

The 'Brockwell' is the thickest tie I own, and ties a beautiful knot.

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
+1

The 'Brockwell' is the thickest tie I own, and ties a beautiful knot.

unfortunately its been out of stock
plain.gif

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Talbott 7-fold. The patterns tend to be big and bold, too.

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Holy necrobump Batman...

For non-seven folds, my 3-fold E.G. Cappelli ties make a quite chunky FIH, and it comes out nice and perfect every time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads