• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Speaker Cables?

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Monster.

Especially if you buy the ones with plug-in ends. Stripping wire and rethreading it time after time gets pretty tedious.

Monster is notoriously overpriced.

Any cable Best Buy or a similar store sells will perform just as good as Monster.

Brian SD

Reaction score
So if Cardas is Kiton, what does that make Blue Jeans? Canali at a 70% discount?

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
Originally Posted by GQgeek
what the is teflon dielectric? And here I thought teflon was for cheap non-stick frying pans.

It is used in audio cables and capacitors to great effect.

You don't explain it to GQ.
Teflon in some speaker cables is used as insulation. Eg. in af's beloved Kimber 8TC.
You can buy them for about €4 per meter. You can also buy teflon tubes and make your very own braided cables around a teflon tube and insulated by teflon... for a fraction of the silly prices that af pays (and get at least as good sound quality) ... that way you have money left over for EG shoes.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
So if Cardas is Kiton, what does that make Blue Jeans? Canali at a 70% discount?

No, that makes Blue Jeans Kiton K50 at 99% discount.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by the truth
+1.

Does anybody have any speaker cables to cut open?

That would be fun, especially to see af's mental gymnastics of self protection.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm just waiting for this thread to be merged with the "These are fake, right" thread.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sprezzatura2010
Gladwell?

I don't think it would be a colossal waste of time because I would expect to walk out with a significant sum of your money when reality came crashing down on your poor little pathetic head and you were unable to tell the difference between any two wires of your choice.

You, however, seem to lack any spine or courage of your convictions. *****.

You're talking about ******* stereo wire. Calm the **** down.

RJmanbearpig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JetBlast
You're talking about ******* stereo wire. Calm the **** down.

Young Master Jetfire speaks the truth.

Threads like this restore my faith in humanity.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by T4phage
You don't explain it to GQ.
Teflon in some speaker cables is used as insulation. Eg. in af's beloved Kimber 8TC.
You can buy them for about €4 per meter. You can also buy teflon tubes and make your very own braided cables around a teflon tube and insulated by teflon... for a fraction of the silly prices that af pays (and get at least as good sound quality) ... that way you have money left over for EG shoes.

It's not that simple you need a high pressure, low temperature insulation process and that takes manufacturing and extrusion knowledge and investment. As a result just braiding DIY cable around teflon does not sound nearly as good. I have A/Bed those cables and they don't sound good. Look at the Nordost line, their teflon and monofilament manufacturing process is one that allows those cables to resolve a lot of detail in the music.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by suited
Monster is notoriously overpriced.

Any cable Best Buy or a similar store sells will perform just as good as Monster.

Quite true. Monster is the Armani of cable.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJmanbearpig
Just curious, but whose sock puppet is Sprezzatura2069? Is he the truth?

Also, AF, why not set up double-blind tests of some of these things? If your chosen brands really do perform better, it'll show all the sock puppets and naysayers.

its-a-trap.jpg

the truth

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
Quite true. Monster is the Armani of cable.
Which is the Kiton of cables? By that, I mean to ask which is not what it claims to be.

RJmanbearpig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by the truth
Which is the Kiton of cables? By that, I mean to ask which is not what it claims to be.

What is the Berluti of cables?

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I think clothing is a difficult comparison as the tech doesn't really change that much. Maybe cars is better...there are some new manufacturing methods such as the Crystal Cable use of gold and the monofilament tech from Nordost.

Nordost would be Ferrari - high performance but really spendy pricing.
Cardas would be Porsche - long history, great performance, fair price.
Kimber might be BMW - Very good performance and decent price.
Blue Jeans might be some of the sporty models of VW - high value per dollar.
Jorma Prime would be Bentley - insane pricing but terrific performance and luxury build.
Harmonic Technology would be Audi - great performance for the dollar, decent tech.
Argentum Acoustics (part of XLO company) might be Spyker but without the price, new brand but exciting sound.
Kubala-Sosna might be Aston Martin - luxury pricing and performance.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads