• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Work shoes?

Johnathan

Reaction score
With winter coming and my rubber soled shoes worn down to nothing and not worth being repaired, I'm in the market for a pair of shoes with rubber soles that actually look good. I work in a restaurant, but I have to wear a shirt and tie. Leather soles won't work for me considering all the things I step in on a daily basis.

Does anyone else work in similar conditions and what do you wear on your feet?

AintDatRite

Reaction score
Nike_human_......-731531.jpg

I would think that you wouldnt want to spend much on shoes to wear to work, as the grease and other stuff will be brutal on your shoes. I believe you have to have 'slip resistant' soles, right? Are you working as a waiter or in the kitchen area?

Johnathan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AintDatRite
Nike_human_......-731531.jpg

I would think that you wouldnt want to spend much on shoes to wear to work, as the grease and other stuff will be brutal on your shoes. I believe you have to have 'slip resistant' soles, right? Are you working as a waiter or in the kitchen area?

Neither, but I walk through the kitchen area. I've worn my current rubber soles to work for the last eight or nine months and I've never had any issues with slipping at all, so I'm not too worried about that. Yeah, I don't want to drop a ton of cash on these, but I want them to look at least halfway decent and be comfortable.

TwentySomthing

Reaction score
I used to be a bartender for a large national chain restaurant, and I also had to wear a shirt and tie. They contracted out to this company called Shoes for Crews. They have a huge line of slip resistant shoes that worked magic because I floors were always slippery and it was extremely rare. They have a line of dress shoes with slip resistant bottoms for around $60 I think.

You can google them and they'll pop up. My first pair lasted about 9 months, although they were looking pretty bad by the end of that time and should have been replaced a month or two before, but they took some beatings and I never took care of them so they are good quality for what is sounds like you need.

Johnathan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TwentySomthing
I used to be a bartender for a large national chain restaurant, and I also had to wear a shirt and tie. They contracted out to this company called Shoes for Crews. They have a huge line of slip resistant shoes that worked magic because I floors were always slippery and it was extremely rare. They have a line of dress shoes with slip resistant bottoms for around $60 I think. You can google them and they'll pop up. My first pair lasted about 9 months, although they were looking pretty bad by the end of that time and should have been replaced a month or two before, but they took some beatings and I never took care of them so they are good quality for what is sounds like you need.
Yeah, they offer Shoes For Crews at my job too. I wonder if we're talking about the same place. Either way, I've heard some pretty bad things about their dress type shoes, though never anything bad about the sneakers. I figure if I'm going to spend 60 bucks, I may as well put down another 40 and get shoes I could wear somewhere other than work at least once in a while.

TwentySomthing

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnathan
Yeah, they offer Shoes For Crews at my job too. I wonder if we're talking about the same place. Either way, I've heard some pretty bad things about their dress type shoes, though never anything bad about the sneakers.

I figure if I'm going to spend 60 bucks, I may as well put down another 40 and get shoes I could wear somewhere other than work at least once in a while.

True, I can't say much about their dress shoes, I used their sneakers since it was conformable and I was behind and bar so nobody looks at my feet. I know some of my managers used to wear them and they seemed to get some decent wear out of them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads