• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jello Shots

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are these the most annoying thing ever created? It's usually the woman you know who will never shut up who has to present the idea of making jello shots anytime more than 3 people are getting together to consume liquor.

It's a hassle to get the damn thing out of the cup and into your blood stream. What is the point? I think there's a substance that doesn't have to be sucked out of the cup, it just flows right into your mouth, it's called liquid. I question the intelligence of any person who thinks they making drinking more "fun", it just makes it more marsupialed. The idiot who usually makes these things puts such a little amount of alcohol in them that you'd get more of a buzz by squirting a spray of Binaca in your mouth.

I have the same beef with kegs. When I was in school, everyone loved keg parties. Great, there's nothing more I'd rather do than stand in a line for 10 minutes and then take another 5 minutes filling my cup with, what is no doubt, premium beer. I think I'll splurge and spend the 8 bucks on my own beer, thanks.

e23

Reaction score
I couldn't agree more, I think jello shots are one of the most annoying things ever created.

I always thought of it as a woman's way of rationalizing, "Hey I'm going to drink some liquor tonight! But I'll stay a bit classy with jello."

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by suited
I think I'll splurge and spend the 8 bucks on my own beer, thanks.

You obviously never went to college.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've heard the Jello shot described as 'adolescent alcoholic cunnilingus' which I think is near enough. When I was out, college days, and people were ordering them, or at keggers and whatnot, I just ordered my Macallan, rocks.

~ H

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are these the most annoying thing ever created? It's usually the woman you know who will never shut up who has to present the idea of making jello shots anytime more than 3 people are getting together to consume liquor.

It's a hassle to get the damn thing out of the cup and into your blood stream. What is the point? I think there's a substance that doesn't have to be sucked out of the cup, it just flows right into your mouth, it's called liquid. I question the intelligence of any person who thinks they making drinking more "fun", it just makes it more marsupialed. The idiot who usually makes these things puts such a little amount of alcohol in them that you'd get more of a buzz by squirting a spray of Binaca in your mouth.

I have the same beef with kegs. When I was in school, everyone loved keg parties. Great, there's nothing more I'd rather do than stand in a line for 10 minutes and then take another 5 minutes filling my cup with, what is no doubt, premium beer. I think I'll splurge and spend the 8 bucks on my own beer, thanks.

Quoted for truth.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by e23
I couldn't agree more, I think jello shots are one of the most annoying things ever created. I always thought of it as a woman's way of rationalizing, "Hey I'm going to drink some liquor tonight! But I'll stay a bit classy with jello."
ha. It's kinda like waving a shiny object infront of a woman, it somehow makes the idea of drinking more princess like.
Originally Posted by Ludeykrus
You obviously never went to college.
Not everyone who went to college was so broke they couldn't spend 7 or 8 dollars on some beer. I didn't go to a prestigious school, and almost everyone I know could afford to spend a few bucks on decent beer. I guess I just never got the whole cheap beer thing. It just made more sense to spend an extra 3 dollars and not drink watered down horse piss
smile.gif
If you're buying beer for the whole party, then OK, that's different.

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not everyone who went to college was so broke they couldn't spend 7 or 8 dollars on some beer. I didn't go to a prestigious school, and almost everyone I know could afford to spend a few bucks on decent beer. I guess I just never got the whole cheap beer thing. It just made more sense to spend an extra 3 dollars and not drink watered down horse piss
smile.gif
If you're buying beer for the whole party, then OK, that's different.

Sorry, I'm not an Ivy League'r.
tounge.gif

You had money, eh? Shoulda lived up a little. What else is there to spend money on in college other than motorcycles, cigarettes, and booze?

Crawford

Reaction score
Jello Shots - Agree, they suck.

Kegs - Not so fast. While I agree that the beer served at keg parties can be less than premium, I've never had to wait (in line and my own pour) longer than one minute to get a beer. You also have the added advantage of doing keg stands.

I've been on weekend trips to cabins where we've decided that since the group of us will probably consume close to a keg worth of beer during the trip, we might as well get one and share it amongst ourselves. That situation is where a keg is perfect - you save money, control what type of beer you get, etc.

KBW

Reaction score
I agree with the first post except that where I go to school they use everclear in the jello shots and they will tear you up too quickly. Guys never touch them though you get a girl to make them for your party and then they stay away from your beer once they show up.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KBW
I agree with the first post except that where I go to school they use everclear in the jello shots and they will tear you up too quickly. Guys never touch them though you get a girl to make them for your party and then they stay away from your beer once they show up.

I've only dabbled with everclear once, and I think we did 2 shots. It was about 6 years ago so I don't remember how drunk we got, but I just remember it went down like gasoline on fire.

Originally Posted by Ludeykrus
Sorry, I'm not an Ivy League'r.
tounge.gif

You had money, eh? Shoulda lived up a little. What else is there to spend money on in college other than motorcycles, cigarettes, and booze?

I'm talking about the dirt cheap beer. Natty lite, M. best, keystone etc...

Coors and bud aren't much better, but it surely beats the above, and the price difference is what, 3 dollars? College kids don't have much cash, but 3 dollars is hardly a costly purchase. For another 2 bucks you could upgrade to an import.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have never made jello shots but I am always happy to consume them when someone else makes them.

KBW

Reaction score
Yeah everclear by itself isn't the most fun thing to drink. My first few years in school we'd do what my friend labeled a "slam dunk" which was our way of pregaming before going out. We'd take a shot of everclear, shot of vodka, shotgun a beer, and then drink a half gatorade/half vodka drink on the way to the bar. We'd be perfectly "pregamed" in about 30 seconds and feel great for the rest of the night.

The only way to make a decent jello shooter is with everclear. The jello masks the taste and vodka isn't nearly strong enough.

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm talking about the dirt cheap beer. Natty lite, M. best, keystone etc... Coors and bud aren't much better, but it surely beats the above, and the price difference is what, 3 dollars? College kids don't have much cash, but 3 dollars is hardly a costly purchase. For another 2 bucks you could upgrade to an import.
In my opinion that's a waste of $3. The half a notch up that Budweiser is from Natty is hardly worth anything. Both are terrible, and one is slightly more terrible. Lets face it, if you're drinking either one of these beers, your goal is simply to get drunk. I dunno, in clothing terms I see that like paying an extra $25 to change your wool sweater into a 99% wool 1% cashmere sweater. The best method of "taste to price" ratio I've found to be this. Buy a 12 pack of good beer, and a 24 of the cheapest beer you can. Start off your night with 3 good beer, finish it with 6 bad. It lets you both enjoy the taste of good beer, but not waste that taste during the times when you're too drunk to taste much anyways. The best price:taste:drunkness ratio, if you don't mind it, is drinking strong but well made beers. I know in Canada there are some Quebec breweries which brew beers in the Belgian Triple style, meaning 8-10% alcohol content usually. They're very good for taste and the price is only twice as much as regular beer (meaning, almost the same price per alcohol content) but they can be a little intense if you're not a fan of "big" beers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads